Sunset Safari

Andrew Bichard

DIS Veteran
A couple of years back, my wife & I stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge and went on the Sunrise Safari.

We were taken around in one of the regular Kilimanjaro Safari trucks, which was adapted for wheelchair use.

This time we want to try the Sunset Safari. According to another site (All Ears) they use a different vehicle, a bus with a cut away roof that lets you stand up to see the animals. As best I can see from the photo on the site, this bus doesn't look wheelchair accessible. Has anyone done the Sunset Safari in a wheelchair?

(I am not allowed to talk to AKL concierge until 21 days ahead of my arrival, and I am too impatient to wait)

Andrew

I know Janet2K was using a wheelchair when she went on a VIP Safari before they started the Sunset Safari. She was able to get out of the wheelchair and stand up. Here's a link to a thread talking about it and talking about the vehicle. In her first post, Janet2K posted a link to the vehicle that was used for her tour. It looks like the same one as on allearsnet.com
But, some of the responses in the thread I linked to make it sound more like a modified regular Kilamonjari Safari tram.

Because of the ADA, they do need to make accomidations for wheelchair users. I expect that they either are using the same type of truck as you used before or, they could have a van similar ot the one in the pictures, but with a ramp or lift and wheelchair tiedowns. People would not see that one unless they needed an accessible vehicle.

It appears that there are 3 different safaris that have been mentioned, using 3 different vehicles.

Sunrise Safari - takes you through the safari path at AK (park) on a standard safari truck. Wheelchair accessible through a ramp on the dock. Available to Concierge level guests at AK Lodge only.

Wildlife Discovery Excursion (WLDE) - takes you through the safari path at AK (park), (plus a few extra "turn off" points) on a special safari bus. Wheelchair accessible through a lift. Available to Concierge level guests at all WDW resorts.

Sunset Safari - takes you through some of the savannah areas at AK Lodge. Uses the green "VIP Van", which is not wheelchair accessible. I'm not sure what arrangements they'd make for a wheelchair user. This safari is an AK Lodge program, and hence I know very little about it, as I work at AK (park).

SueM - minor nit-picky spelling correction: Kilimanjaro Safaris

SyracuseWolvrine said:
SueM - minor nit-picky spelling correction: Kilimanjaro Safaris
Thanks for your help (even the nit-picky. I didn't look correct, but I didn't have time to look it up).

I didn't realise that there were three tours, or that Sunset Safari was at AK Lodge!

It's all more complicated than I thought!

If the ride vehicles aren't wheelchair acessible, maybe they will let me out on the Savannah in my Electric Wheelchair.

How fast would my chair need to be to outrun a charging elephant?

Andrew

Andrew Bichard said:
How fast would my chair need to be to outrun a charging elephant?

Andrew
Save some power for the charging Rhino and the lions. ;)
:moped:
I guess you will have to be patient until you can talk to the concierge. But, on the positive side, you should be able to find a tour you can go on.

**Bad Joke Warning**
How do you stop a charging elephant?

That's easy! You take away his charge card.

Andrew..when are you going? We have a stay at AKL concierge mid-September and I'm also planning on doing that safari. From what I was told it is wheelchair accessible and I have that big ole power chair with vent attached, so if it can fit my chair, it can fit anyone's chair! I'll report back on what I find out unless you go first...in which case I hope you'll report back!We've done the sunrise safari three times and I've loved it so was looking forward to this one. Kathy

dclfun said:
Andrew..when are you going?

My wife & I will be at AKL Concierge 5th, 6th & 7th October before moving tp Boardwalk Villas for Food & Wine.

We will do Sunrise Safari on 6th because we will still be running on UK time and awake early. Sunset Safari on 7th works in well with our Food & Wine theme, because it includes a special dinner at Jiko.

These three days will be our only days at concierge this trip and therefor our only chance to do the third tour. Would the 1pm tour be too much on same day as Sunrise Safari?

Andrew

The sunset safari is a guided tour of the savannahs at the AKL.
It includes dinner at Jiko.

The sunrise safari is a guided tour of the AK park animals. It includes breakfast at the Tusher house.

You must be staying at the AKL Conceirge level to get either tour booked.

I was not sure why you could not contact the Conceirge until 21 days before your tour.

I am planning a trip in December and have been in contact with the Conceirge since May. I already have my itinary and it includes the Sunrise tour.

fauberfive said:
I was not sure why you could not contact the Conceirge until 21 days before your tour.

My AKL Concierge confirmation has no phone number except for one I cannot use until I check in.

I called Disney Reservations and they told me that I would be contacted by AKL concierge 21 days in advance and that I should wait 'till then.

I hope all the tours are not taken by then!

Andrew

Andrew- I'll be there on the 23rd of Sept. so I'll try to get a "heads up" for you. In the meantime I plan to find the phone # for the Kilimanjaro Club and will post it here so you can contact them. I too am worried about everything being booked up as we aren't there a full week this time either and one of the reasons I chose to stay there was to take advantage of the wonderful special tours. Hey...hope to meet you when you're here! If you see a lady in a Permobil red wheelchair with vent attached and a black lab service dog trotting beside her, that's me! Kathy

dclfun said:
Andrew- I'll be there on the 23rd of Sept..hope to meet you when you're here!

I check in on 5th October, so we will miss each other.

But I will be back again September '06

Andrew

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter