Sunshine Flyer or Mears Connect?

kerreyn

DIS Veteran
Hello all!

We're in the process of finalizing our plans for our Sept. '23 trip, with the exception of the transportation to our resort (ideally I'd prefer a Minnie Van from the airport to the resort, but I understand they're still not running). Has anyone had recent experience with either Sunshine Flyer or Mears Connect they would care to share?

Thanks!

A couple of transportation options popped up during COVID-19 furloughs and layoffs for Cast Members. You can find lots of new businesses on a Facebook group "Ear for Each Other." We used one of these and I can't possibly recommend them highly enough - Cast & Crew Transportation. They picked us up at the VIP area that all of the limo services use, our driver even came into the airport and helped with our luggage. They picked us up to return to the airport exactly when we asked and we had the same driver. It costs $105 each direction for up to 4 passengers, extra $5 for each extra person, $5 for car seats if you need, and they also now can provide rental of single & double strollers if you need those.

Cast & Crew Transportation

***ETA
Our niece used Sunshine Flyer and had AWFUL service, waited forever for the bus to leave the airport and they never showed up when it was time to return. Luckily the flight was delayed or they would have missed it - eventually a bus showed up to pick up several families but it was old and dirty. I only mention that because it doesn't appear to be a one-off experience, there are lots of negative reports (not that Magical Express was stellar!)

A couple of transportation options popped up during COVID-19 furloughs and layoffs for Cast Members. You can find lots of new businesses on a Facebook group "Ear for Each Other." We used one of these and I can't possibly recommend them highly enough - Cast & Crew Transportation. They picked us up at the VIP area that all of the limo services use, our driver even came into the airport and helped with our luggage. They picked us up to return to the airport exactly when we asked and we had the same driver. It costs $105 each direction for up to 4 passengers, extra $5 for each extra person, $5 for car seats if you need, and they also now can provide rental of single & double strollers if you need those.

Cast & Crew Transportation

***ETA
Our niece used Sunshine Flyer and had AWFUL service, waited forever for the bus to leave the airport and they never showed up when it was time to return. Luckily the flight was delayed or they would have missed it - eventually a bus showed up to pick up several families but it was old and dirty. I only mention that because it doesn't appear to be a one-off experience, there are lots of negative reports (not that Magical Express was stellar!)
Thanks Duck!
My biggest concern is sitting at the airport waiting for the shuttle to leave. Our flight gets in at 5pm, and we're going to try to book the late show for HDD that night. The Cast & Crew Transportation looks great - I've book marked them to book at 60 days out!

Thanks Duck!
My biggest concern is sitting at the airport waiting for the shuttle to leave. Our flight gets in at 5pm, and we're going to try to book the late show for HDD that night. The Cast & Crew Transportation looks great - I've book marked them to book at 60 days out!
They were tracking our flight and as soon as I turned my wifi back on I had a text waiting from Alex welcoming us to Florida. It took less than 30 minutes for the drive from MCO to POFQ, waiting for the luggage took more time!!

We used Mears Connect over the xmas holidays. Our departure date happened to be the Sunday of the marathon weekend, and I was slightly worried they would not get us to the airport on time due to all the road closures, etc due to the race. But Mears was actually early, waiting for us at our resort entrance and we got to the airport so quickly. The driver actually took us across a shopping plaza parking lot and then cut through some residential areas, bypassing the main roads that hadn’t reopened yet, so very impressive. Would definitely use them again.

I have sunshine flyer booked for tomorrow, airport to hotel. I am planning to Uber or Lyft from hotel to airport on departure day. We arrive in Orlando before 11am tomorrow, and from the reports I have read Sunshine flyer seems to be getting better? But it's still a shared shuttle. I am hoping for a similar to Magic Express experience, I know they will drop off at multiple resorts for example. It was cheaper than Mears though, by quite a bit. And it was fully refundable so I could change my mind.

I haven't used either but have seen that the Sunshine Flyer runs between 7am-11pm where Mears is 24/7. If for some reason your flight is delayed, you might be in trouble. For this reason, I will be choosing Mears for the extra cash and not have to worry about something going wrong or delayed.

I have used sunshine flyer before and was happy with the service and the price.We were on a bus in less than 20 minutes to POFQ and when we left POFQ last time ,we were picked up around 3:30 am If I remember correctly,to head to the airport.Will use again.

They were tracking our flight and as soon as I turned my wifi back on I had a text waiting from Alex welcoming us to Florida. It took less than 30 minutes for the drive from MCO to POFQ, waiting for the luggage took more time!!
This looks like a great service. Can I ask if you tipped them, and if so, how much?

ETA: Sorry, just saw that their prices are quoted "+ Gratuity". So I would assumed 18-20% would be acceptable?

This looks like a great service. Can I ask if you tipped them, and if so, how much?

ETA: Sorry, just saw that their prices are quoted "+ Gratuity". So I would assumed 18-20% would be acceptable?
I'll ask hubby for confirmation but I'm pretty sure we gave him a $20 each direction. Coming from the airport we felt terrible that our luggage took almost an hour to show up and he just patiently waited for us, more than likely missing out on another trip. On the way back to the airport the traffic was nuts and he drove like a champ, Didn't lose his cool when people cut him off, when lanes were blocked and he was very respectful of the situation. I had contacted Victoria (woman who runs point and keeps in touch either via text, messenger or what's app) to tell the driver my mom had passed while we were in Disney and I didn't want to answer the "did you have a magical stay" questions. Instead there was a box of Kleenex on the seat and quiet background music playing instead of the disney soundtracks. For all of these reasons we gave him $20

we paid the bill with a credit card - he had a Square device on his tablet and cash for the tip

We’ve used Sunshine Flyer twice without issue. Kids were all FREE! Buses were very clean and service was excellent. Bus left within 15 minutes of checking in at their desk. That being said, our flights back home are always around 5pm so never early 🤷🏻‍♀️

We used Sunshine Flyer both to and from MCO in December and had a very good experience. Our wait was minimal both times and the busses were clean and normal size.

We used Mear's in April just heading back to MCO and I don't think I would book with them again. They picked us up in a small van and proceeded to fill every seat. I had to ask the other family with us if they would mind climbing in the way back so my 79 year-old mom wouldn't have to. Then we stopped at one other resort to pick up more passengers which filled the remaining three seats with one of their party sitting up front with the driver. Then the driver was on the intercom with dispatch saying he was supposed to stop for more people at AoA but he had no more room because, "they have extra kids with them." Both the other mom and myself spoke up and said we paid for a party of four and the other family did as well, so there were no "extra" people. I'm not sure at all why he said that?

Otherwise, the drive was fine but I did not enjoy that experience, and I felt bad for the family stranded at AoA while we were on our way to the airport.

We’ve used Sunshine Flyer twice without issue. Kids were all FREE! Buses were very clean and service was excellent. Bus left within 15 minutes of checking in at their desk. That being said, our flights back home are always around 5pm so never early 🤷🏻‍♀️
We used SF last April and had no issues. We are using them for our August trip since it will cost us about $30 each way for the five of us.

We arrived with no issues. Found the check in counter and waited comfortably in chairs until pur train was ready, I mean bus. Not sure the train theme on Sunshine Flyer. We were the 2nd of 4 stops, the bus was not at all full. We only waited 5 minutes or so to get on board.

Had a great experience with Sunshine Flyer last summer. They were relatively new then but have since become more popular and I have read about bad experiences. I have also read about a lot of bad experiences with Mears, so I think it's basically luck of the draw with both of these companies. I have decided to try my luck with Mears this coming summer because of a sale they had.

Had a great experience with Sunshine Flyer last summer. They were relatively new then but have since become more popular and I have read about bad experiences. I have also read about a lot of bad experiences with Mears, so I think it's basically luck of the draw with both of these companies. I have decided to try my luck with Mears this coming summer because of a sale they had.
A blogger that I watch had been using Mears since the Magical Express stopped running. He was having pretty good experiences until last October when the Mears bus sat at MCO for over two hours, and finally getting them to their resort over three hours from when they landed… not fun.

I think we’re going to the @Donald - my hero ’s recommendation and try Cast and Crew Transportation. More expensive than the two shuttle options, but well worth it so we‘re not waiting around for other people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter