• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Superthread for Disneyland Resort Closure and Reopening, 3/14/20 - 7/17/20: Please Post All Relevant Questions and Information Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, everyone woke up to a very different day today than it was yesterday. ETA: in terms of closures and cancellations. The risk was still there and this stuff still needed to be done yesterday but things moved extremely quickly today.

You were right.. I just got this email....

Hello stylish one!

Our new Spring designs will debut online soon in our online shop – and they're pretty sweet!

mail

- Novel Coronavirus concerns: All our upcoming Disney park outings in California, Florida, and Paris are happening as planned at this time.

Our Spring Expo will only be postponed or cancelled if required by government agencies or the Disneyland Resort, or if logistical obstacles prevent us from mounting the Expo to our standards of quality or safety.

These decisions are not easy to make as we must consider the safety of our team, exhibitors, and guests, as well as the reality that the cancellation of a single Expo season would be financially devastating to our exhibitors, support staff, and challenge our ability to continue as an organization.

We feel it's best to keep the Expo on the calendar for now and make adjustments later if needed, versus cancelling or postponing prematurely only to find the Expo could have happened as planned. Of course, if the Spring Expo is required to be cancelled before opening, all Expo passes would be refunded. Even if that were to happen, we would work to find alternate ways to provide our guests with as much of what the Expo offers as possible.

For info regarding how the Disney Company is responding to the situation at its parks please see the following links for: The Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort, and Disneyland Paris.

Disney's Coronado Springs® Resort
- Hotel Reservation changes: Due to the unique circumstances that may impact travel surrounding this season's events, the Disneyland Resort has lifted the policy of requiring a 1-night, non-refundable deposit on our convention-rate bookings for our Spring events. Now, for room-only reservations, in order to receive a full refund of your deposit, notification of cancellation must be received at least 5 days prior to your arrival date, for both Walt Disney World and the Disneyland Resort convention-rate reservations.

For questions regarding our convention-rate Disneyland Resort hotel rooms or park tickets please contact Disneyland Group Reservations at 714-520-5005, M-F 8-5 PST. You can also book or manage your Spring reservation online here.

For questions regarding our convention-rates for rooms and park passes for the Walt Disney World Resort please contact WDW Group Reservations 407-939-4686 (M-F 8:30a-6p and Sat-Sun 8:30a-5p EST) You can also book or manage your Spring WDW reservation online here.

I called the Disney Convention reservation desk yesterday around 3pm PDST. well before this news broke...I asked if the No Refund policy for deposits for Dapper Days Resort reservations would change because of the Coronavirus situation and his reply was no, the No refund policy was still in effect.. Quote : Your reservation is for Mid April and this whole Corona thing will be over by then . Unquote...
Yes, that was yesterday. When Disneyland was still open. Today is a different day with new news. I would call again.

ETA: You were posting your update at the same time. Glad it worked out!

ETA, again: I guess maybe not worked out? But at least they're in communication.

Last edited:

I'm sad, but I was wondering when this would happen. We were there last week, it was moderately crowded (felt like a 5-6/10). To think this is the 5th time in 60+ years underscores how serious this all is...the updates from Italy are dire. COVID-19 is a treatable disease....just not when everyone rushes the healthcare system at the same time.

Hats off to Disney for helping flatten the curve.

Now that aside, I wonder about the following:
1) Think they'll go full maintenance mode and have some employees in park continue refurb ops (Haunted Mansion)? Might be a good time to start work on Indy.... or is that just bad optics/PR to do that?
2) Wonder what will happen to DVC points for stays at VGC. I hope they make those points bankable to the next use year, because redepositing them into the current year will be mostly useless.​
3) Those poor folks at the hotels and businesses surrounding the park... no conventions, no DL...ouch. Ouch ouch ouch.​

Can't say I'm surprised by this but it's good to see Disney take this issue seriously and look after its cast members during the shut down. I have a trip planned at the end of April so am monitoring it all closely. I'll also give kudos to Hilton and IHG who are letting people cancel all bookings even non refundable ones - that is exactly how you win customer loyalty. Given how it's all going I'm reading through my travel insurance and other cancellation policies so I can plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Sending positive thoughts to those of you in affected areas. Hope you all manage to miss it.

1F

Disneyland probably closed to adhere to the governor's closing of no more than 250 in a crowded area from what our cruise grp was thinking.

I called the Disney Convention reservation desk yesterday around 3pm PDST. well before this news broke...I asked if the No Refund policy for deposits for Dapper Days Resort reservations would change because of the Coronavirus situation and his reply was no, the No refund policy was still in effect.. Quote : Your reservation is for Mid April and this whole Corona thing will be over by then . Unquote...
Sorry disregard! It was addressed above.

It was a matter of time. I fully expected this.
So awful for those with long-planned vacations, but it's safer in the long run.
Imagine the logistics nightmare for the staff there. Not to mention the short term unemployment claims that are being filed from all over.

So many people will be negatively impacted financially. Those Disney workers do not make a lot of money. No hours is going to wipe out those who live paycheck to paycheck.
Actually, all of the shut downs will put us at far greater risks in the long run, Disney is paying their cast members, so they should be ok; however, many other companies either won't or simply can't do the same. This is going to result in loss of homes, jobs, etc., which will ultimately end in more disease and deaths than if we had simply let this run its course.

Even though we'd heard earlier on the news, there's just something a little heartbreaking about seeing it on Disney's own website.

I was optimistic until Monday when things here in the US started spiraling fast.
I now think WDW will also announce soon.
And no one should hold there breath, thinking in two weeks its all over and "welcome back". I doubt it very much and believe it will be longer. I still have my plans for MAY 2 arrival and pray it's a GO. I am waiting though until the very end of my cancellation window to decide/ or the decision will be made for me anyway.

I've tried a few times to get through to AP guest services to ask if AP expiration dates will be extended by the length of the closure. Each time I got a fast busy signal. I suspect their phones have been disabled or something in view of the presumed avalanche of guest questions. Perhaps I'll try again later.

Last edited:
I've tried a few times to get through to AP guest services to ask if AP expiration dates will be extended by the length of the closure. Each time I got a fast busy signal. I suspect their phones have been disabled or something in view of the avalanche of presumed guest questions. Perhaps I'll try again later.
I’m sure every phone line is overwhelmed right now. Plus this is spring break. So people are having to cancel trips, figure out AP situations etc

I'm sad, but I was wondering when this would happen. We were there last week, it was moderately crowded (felt like a 5-6/10). To think this is the 5th time in 60+ years underscores how serious this all is...the updates from Italy are dire. COVID-19 is a treatable disease....just not when everyone rushes the healthcare system at the same time.

Hats off to Disney for helping flatten the curve.

Now that aside, I wonder about the following:
1) Think they'll go full maintenance mode and have some employees in park continue refurb ops (Haunted Mansion)? Might be a good time to start work on Indy.... or is that just bad optics/PR to do that?​
2) Wonder what will happen to DVC points for stays at VGC. I hope they make those points bankable to the next use year, because redepositing them into the current year will be mostly useless.​
3) Those poor folks at the hotels and businesses surrounding the park... no conventions, no DL...ouch. Ouch ouch ouch.​

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to keep people working on things like refurbs during this time. California isn't on lockdown, people can still go about their lives just not in big crowds. So having a handful of workers in the park, spread out working on projects shouldn't be an increased risk and would mean disney isn't losing money on every single worker they employ...

There are some extreme and perhaps even uninformed comments being made on this post, so I am going to leave what @theluckyrabbit said in another related thread right here:

“This is understandably a sensitive and stressful topic for many people, so let's all try to keep our posts calm and level headed. None of us like uncertainty, and we all want more information. But this isn't a great place to vent or to go to extremes. Some people need very little to start to panic, and we really don't want to start that.
For those of you who are trying hard to post with common sense and clear heads, trying to stay positive while being realistic, thank you.”

Actually, all of the shut downs will put us at far greater risks in the long run, Disney is paying their cast members, so they should be ok; however, many other companies either won't or simply can't do the same. This is going to result in loss of homes, jobs, etc., which will ultimately end in more disease and deaths than if we had simply let this run its course.

Fed govt is going to pay for 2-3 weeks sick leave. In addition they may follow Italy and not require mortgage/rent payments for a period of time. They also have the option of following Hong Kong and writing everybody a check for $1200 US dollars. Things are going to change by the hour and the Fed govt and reserve will do everything they can to stave off a depression. They have lots of options. No the economy will never be the same again but that is to be expected after a once in a lifetime event (just ask anyone who grew up in the 30's).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter