• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

sure wish parents would watch their kids

I just asked my 18 year old how he would rate his childhood. He said 10 out 10. He asked me if I was talking to people complaining about their oppressed childhood. I said yeah something like that. He says his generation does a lot of that. He thought it was just a Gen z thing.

I just asked my 18 year old how he would rate his childhood. He said 10 out 10. He asked me if I was talking to people complaining about their oppressed childhood. I said yeah something like that. He says his generation does a lot of that. He thought it was just a Gen z thing.

I hate to break this to you....but a lot of us would have said the same thing to our parents if directly asked....at age 18. In my family....*I* was that kid....the peace keeper, wanted everyone to be happy. I would have most definitely said the same thing. I also thought *the world* of my maternal grandparents...but as I aged I looked back on some of their habits as a bit troubling at times, especially with respect to how they raised their younger children (my mother is much older than her siblings). As you get older and look back on your life...you see things more clearly than you did as a child in a fairly sheltered environment. And an 18 year old, no matter how mature they can seem (and some can seem like they're 30 year olds)... still is a child, one that is still developing and dependent on his parents for care.

Again...I love/loved my parents...my father has passed, but there are techniques that they used as younger parents in the late 60s and 70s....that their educated daughters did not replicate when they had children 30+ years later. That doesn't mean we're not all a family...but simply that there is almost always room for improvement as generations progress through time.

I hate to break this to you....but a lot of us would have said the same thing to our parents if directly asked....at age 18. In my family....*I* was that kid....the peace keeper, wanted everyone to be happy. I would have most definitely said the same thing. I also thought *the world* of my maternal grandparents...but as I aged I looked back on some of their habits as a bit troubling at times, especially with respect to how they raised their younger children (my mother is much older than her siblings). As you get older and look back on your life...you see things more clearly than you did as a child in a fairly sheltered environment. And an 18 year old, no matter how mature they can seem (and some can seem like they're 30 year olds)... still is a child, one that is still developing and dependent on his parents for care.

Again...I love/loved my parents...my father has passed, but there are techniques that they used as younger parents in the late 60s and 70s....that their educated daughters did not replicate when they had children 30+ years later. That doesn't mean we're not all a family...but simply that there is almost always room for improvement as generations progress through time.
OMG! Why is so hard for you to believe that some kids are happy and why for Gods sake are you and LSU so determined to prove that mine aren't. It's really strange.

And, moreover, my dad was the first to admit that he had some regrets about some of the techniques he used even though it never even included corporal punishment. I also often reflect on what I could have done better with my own child.

I would say the same now if directly asked because my parents are not capable of acknowledging the truth. I have tried in the past and been completely shut down.

Hopefully @DCLMP it is not the same for you but I will say that pound sand comment feels a lot like the reaction my parents would have which is why I am not honest about things. 10/10

OMG! Why is so hard for you to believe that some kids are happy and why for Gods sake are you and LSU so determined to prove that mine aren't. It's really strange.
Your kids might be & that’s great! But, imo, anyone who would tell their own children to “pound sand” if they told you that you had done something that had hurt them is not capable of accurately assessing others’ happiness since you certainly don’t seem open to hearing otherwise.

This thread has obviously turned into personal insults. This is just getting embarrassing to be a part of. Good night and good luck.

It's not a personal insult at all....we're talking about personal experiences that we've had and witnessed. You are being very sensitive and taking it personally....which isn't anyone's fault. Have a good night.

It's not a personal insult at all....we're talking about personal experiences that we've had and witnessed. You are being very sensitive and taking it personally....which isn't anyone's fault. Have a good night.
I'm not a sensitive person. I'm a narcissist remember? Sorry I couldn't resist. I'll leave you childless people to solve the worlds parenting problems. I'm actually really embarrassed I let you guys get under my skin. I'm better than that. Have a good night.

I'm not a sensitive person. I'm a narcissist remember? Sorry I couldn't resist. I'll leave you childless people to solve the worlds parenting problems. I'm actually really embarrassed I let you guys get under my skin. I'm better than that. Have a good night.
I’m not childless ftr.

My intention was not to get under your skin at all....you seem very thick skinned and very confident, so if that occurred, you have my apology. I only shared my personal thoughts/opinions....we all put stuff out into the world. How it's consumed/perceived is then out of our hands.

For what it’s worth I wasn’t trying to attack you so the passive aggressive emoji wasn’t needed. I was sharing that at 18 (or now almost 40) I wouldn’t have told my parents because they show an unwillingness to admit to mistakes.

Your comment when I asked what your reaction would be if your kids as adults came to you and said X hurt me echoes my own parents… I would hope you would instead be open to listening to your children and admitting that even if you did your best mistakes might have been made. I mean none of us are perfect parents. I’m sure all of our children have something they wished we did differently…

And I have kids….

Well thanks. We're cruising on Royal though. I'm a little nervous about this. I'm kind of of DCL diehard 29 cruises. We just got off the Wish last week and it was kind of a bust. They need to do more for 18-20 year olds. Tough age for cruisers. Your kind of stuck between being a kid and an adult. If there is one company that could fix this you'd think it would be DCL. My bank account will breathe a big sigh of relief if they decide they like RCCL over Disney.

Well thanks. We're cruising on Royal though. I'm a little nervous about this. I'm kind of of DCL diehard 29 cruises. We just got off the Wish last week and it was kind of a bust. They need to do more for 18-20 year olds. Tough age for cruisers. Your kind of stuck between being a kid and an adult. If there is one company that could fix this you'd think it would be DCL. My bank account will breathe a big sigh of relief if they decide they like RCCL over Disney.
I know this is way off topic but we have had the best luck when booking DCL cruises over college spring break for the 1820 society to be packed with participants. On our cruise last March there were over 40 people so my DD made plenty of friends.

I have never been on a cruise in my entire life - all I can say is 29 cruises on DCL! Well done you!
I have been tempted recently to try DCL, but going to throw some time in at Napa Valley and Hawaii (at Aulani) this year. So, we'll see if there is time for a quick trip somewhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter