Surprise Costume Ideas for MNSSHP

McGreezy

Have the courage to touch the butt.
Kids wont know we are going on this amazing first-time-ever magical trip until the night before we hop the plane on October 25th. I realize this surprise business isnt everyones cup of tea, but please understand it is ours, so Im looking for kind like-minded advice here :smooth:.

So after going back and forth on it Ive decided we should do MNSSHP since we might end up missing our towns acual trick or treat on our return day since we dont even land until 5 pm on Oct 31st back home. My 8 yo daughter is easy, but for my 14 yr old son I need ideas for a good male pre teen Disney costume. What about family themed costume ideas?? Hes such a fun kid he would be good no matter what i packed, but he will probably not be a fan of something that might embarrass him in front of any of the "ladies" if you catch my drift. :love1::rolleyes:Any costume advice for us???

I have seen themed t-shirts for family costumes, and Pinterest has tons of family themed ideas including disbounding. When do you normally as them what they want to be for Halloween? Maybe you can start from there.

FWIW I love planning and receiving surprise trips, though I am still waiting on the latter!

Well this is our only trip most likely so of course it has to be a surprise!! Lol. Im just nervous about picking costumes. My son is 14 yo and 6'3", so Disney themed costumes for that height will be interesting to find. He WOULD make an awesome Dr. Facilier...haha. My hubby and I could be the frog versions of Tiana and Naveen and our Daughter could be Charlotte...or Mama Odie!! Shes sort of out of the princess phase.

Huh, 14. Tough age because they can go from being brazen and run around trick-or-treating in a dress to "trick or treating is dumb and for little kids." Ah the pendulum of puberty. What about a family of pirates? Jack Sparrow is super cool and nothing like some scars to get attention from the ladies. Another idea is a haunted mansion-like crew of zombies or ghosts. Because the undead is also cool. Nascar crew pit. Star Wars jedis or sith (not sure if that is uncool or not). Beetlejuice reboot. Michael Jacksons, through the years. Hunger games. Big Hero 6. Stick figures with glow sticks stuck over you in a line. One thing to keep in mind is how hot it might or might not be.

My husband is way older than 14, but I made him a shirt that looked like Iron Man's arc reactor on the chest. I used glow in the dark vinyl. He wore it with jeans and sunglasses so he looked like Tony Stark. If he's into Iron Man

My husband is way older than 14, but I made him a shirt that looked like Iron Man's arc reactor on the chest. I used glow in the dark vinyl. He wore it with jeans and sunglasses so he looked like Tony Stark. If he's into Iron Man

I love this!! I could buy some blue bracelet glow sticks and fashion them that way! That's a great idea, thank you :)

Huh, 14. Tough age because they can go from being brazen and run around trick-or-treating in a dress to "trick or treating is dumb and for little kids." Ah the pendulum of puberty. What about a family of pirates? Jack Sparrow is super cool and nothing like some scars to get attention from the ladies. Another idea is a haunted mansion-like crew of zombies or ghosts. Because the undead is also cool. Nascar crew pit. Star Wars jedis or sith (not sure if that is uncool or not). Beetlejuice reboot. Michael Jacksons, through the years. Hunger games. Big Hero 6. Stick figures with glow sticks stuck over you in a line. One thing to keep in mind is how hot it might or might not be.

He LOVES Halloween, and has already asked if he's too old for trick or treating and seemed bummed that I might say yes, so I know he'll be into it. Zombies are always a win! But I worry about the makeup, none of us have a high tolerance for face makeup, and my son has acne prone skin so he probably won't be into that. I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible I think, while still technically being a "costume".

We love suprises!! We are surprising our kids in December. We've been to two MNSSHP parties, they are our favorite. The fireworks are awesome. The first year I dressed our kids in costumes but did not plan for the weather. It was sooo hot. Our girls whined and we ending up taking them off. The second year we had a group of 8, my mother and brother inlaw joined us. I made baseball jerseys and we all wore black shorts. I also took baseball hats and personalized them. We were comfortable, and got tons of comments about Mickey's baseball team. The kids wore the jerseys at home until they began to peel and I finally made them stop, then they became nightshirts. Another advantage, my dh and brother inlaw had no issue wearing them. Have a great trip.

The second year we had a group of 8, my mother and brother inlaw joined us. I made baseball jerseys and we all wore black shorts. I also took baseball hats and personalized them. We were comfortable, and got tons of comments about Mickey's baseball team. The kids wore the jerseys at home until they began to peel and I finally made them stop, then they became nightshirts. Another advantage, my dh and brother inlaw had no issue wearing them. Have a great trip.

That's awesome!!! What a cute idea!!!

I second pesky. Pirates, marvels, star wars. Unless..... you think he wants to be goofy, no punn intended.. I would look on ebay and craigs list.

Kids wont know we are going on this amazing first-time-ever magical trip until the night before we hop the plane on October 25th. I realize this surprise business isnt everyones cup of tea, but please understand it is ours, so Im looking for kind like-minded advice here :smooth:.

So after going back and forth on it Ive decided we should do MNSSHP since we might end up missing our towns acual trick or treat on our return day since we dont even land until 5 pm on Oct 31st back home. My 8 yo daughter is easy, but for my 14 yr old son I need ideas for a good male pre teen Disney costume. What about family themed costume ideas?? Hes such a fun kid he would be good no matter what i packed, but he will probably not be a fan of something that might embarrass him in front of any of the "ladies" if you catch my drift. :love1::rolleyes:Any costume advice for us???

Even if the trip is a surprise, wouldn't your kids have already expressed an interest in what halloween costume they would want well before the time of your trip? I know by early August my kids are always talking about what they are going to be. Go with that.

Thats true. We have all been discussing what we want to do for a costume and i suggested a family theme and sort of "encouraged" my DD in the Disney themed direction and we landed on Princess and the Frog characters. Very excited!

What if your son is Captain Hook?

The rest of the family can be Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and Mr. Smee?

Boys can be weird. They can be all "Mom, that's so stupid" to "WOW, that's such a great idea, I love you" in a hot second. First, keep an ear out for what he likes currently. The Avengers are pretty hot right now, so he might like that. If you go to etsy or just look around, companies make the Iron Man t-shirt with the arc reactor in it. For the others in your family, there is always Black Widow, Thor, and the others - not to mention Star Man and Gamera!

Last year, my family did Monsters University, and it was great. We had different Fraternity shirts (OK, ROR, JOX and PNK) and we got eyeball stickers for our face and made Scare Games flyers. My mom dressed as Squisey mom. It was a LOT of fun, and everyone knew who we were (and our costumes were super cool on a hot night). Check etsy for the shirts, that's where we got ours. We also had MU hats (which they sell at the parks).

Saw a cute idea last year for an easy to pack, easy family theme - Monsters University "Greek" shirts. Very cute.

I am going to the Halloween party for the first time this year! I cant wait!!! I am in charge of creating the costumes. We have a family of 6 going- my aunt (38), her daughter(10), and son(7), my mom(44), brother(14), and I(15). I want to have the family in a group costume but I need a couple of ideas! I would like something that obviously can stand the Florida heat easily and that would be cute and functional. Ideas are welcome!

I think one very costumed option is good and then maybe a super hero t-shirt if he wants something dressed up but not overly "halloween costume" would be wise. But if you're goinv that close to halloween, I think Id take them to pick out costumes before you leave so you're ready for Halloween "before all the good costumes are gone!"

I am going to the Halloween party for the first time this year! I cant wait!!! I am in charge of creating the costumes. We have a family of 6 going- my aunt (38), her daughter(10), and son(7), my mom(44), brother(14), and I(15). I want to have the family in a group costume but I need a couple of ideas! I would like something that obviously can stand the Florida heat easily and that would be cute and functional. Ideas are welcome!

The monsters university I mentioned about; characters from Alice in Wonderland; Toy Story; even the feelings from Inside Out; Winnie the Pooh and friends; Fairies and Peter Pan cast; check out disneybounding and you can come up with some great weather-proof costumes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter