Surprise or Anticipation for the kids???

I think the anticipation and assistance in planning is a big part of the enjoyment factor for our family.

I think most times the "surprise" is more for the parent's benefit than the kids. And often, when surprised, the kids don't give parent the type of reaction they were anticipating. I would never surprise a child who is going on their first trip to Disney World. For smaller kids (under 7), I think its important to watch youtube videos of the rides, parks, and hotels to introduce the whole idea of Disney to them. I would also watch all the major Disney movies with them in advance of the trip. Disney World is overwhelming. Give them some frame of reference to help them organize the experience. It will also give you a sense of what rides might frighten them and you can talk them through it. Same issues for older kids.

If the kids have been to Disney before, you might want to surprise them, but then you deprive them of all the anticipation. I get that parents don't want to be asked "When are we going to Disney" starting from a year out though. I have found that the sweet spot is about 8-10 weeks out. It gives them plenty of time to get excited and help with the planning, but isn't months and months away. The older the kids are, the earlier I tell them. I have taken various assortments of seven nieces and nephews to Disney for the past 20 years. We held special events to "plan our trip," including discussing restaurants, which park on which day, which parades and shows were not to be missed, etc. They loved this!

I think the worst idea is to "surprise" a school-aged child on the day of the trip. In their minds they have "plans" for the next week and missing those plans is anxiety-producing. Yes, going to Disney might be more fun than Sally's birthday party, but they were really wanting to go to Sally's party and now they will miss it. Or, they know that the social studies project is due next Wednesday, and they want to hear the teacher say in person that its alright to turn it in late. They also want to say "goodbye" to their friends (and pets) and make sure their friends know they are coming back (Save my seat in the cafeteria). I have also experienced that some kids are just better travelers than others. For some kids, not being at home is anxiety producing on its own without making it a surprise.

I am currently planning a trip for July with my 13 and 10 year old nieces. They have know about this trip since January. We have picked the resorts (split stay) and restaurants together. After some research, we have decided which day to attend which park. We have decided not to include a water park day after considerable research. After reading several reviews, we have picked Hoop de Doo over the Aloha dinner show or Mickey's backyard BBQ. They have done a lot of "on-line" research which has been super fun for them! But, I have also planned some surprises that they don't know about including the Pirates and Pals Fireworks cruise.

I think you have it right. The planning is so much fun. My nieces have been very involved in planning too and they've loved that aspect of the trip. There will be surprises during the trip--a cake, welcome gifts, ice cream treats at the Plaza, but I wouldn't have wanted to deprive them of the sweet anticipation of the trip. Our trip will only last six days but they have enjoyed planning it for months now.

We have done both. Surprised them in 2013. They were 6 & 8 at the time and didn't know where we were headed until we were about to board our connecting flight to Orlando. This trip (we leave in 2 weeks) we surprised them with the news we were going as part of their Christmas. So they have had 2+ months to anticipate it.
Which was better? I loved planning the surprise but I was a little let down by their reaction. They needed time to process it and I didn't account for that. Telling them in advance has been fun. They turn 8 & 10 the week after we get home and they have loved having an active role in planning. And we have included things I would not have thought to include and are skipping things I would have assumed they would have wanted but don't, like the pricey princess meal. :)

I think half the fun is planning together and getting my girls' input on what we'll do while there. It would be sad if we missed out on countdown calendars, Disney movie nights, etc. More importantly, I know my daughters would prefer to know. My oldest doesn't like sudden surprises. We've had different surprises blow up in our face. I've learned that she needs time to process things and surprises aren't for everyone.

My MIL is taking us to WDW in June and since it's 6 adults and 1 6yo, we all know except for our kiddo. He will be surprised by grandma they day we leave...right before we board the plane direct to Orlando from Minneapolis. We have been watching a lot of Disney movies and all of the Star Wars in anticipation, and he knows where Disney world is on a map, but has no idea we're going. When he says he wants to go, we say, "maybe when you're 8, so I kind of feel like a jerk for not telling him, but the surprise will probably knock him off his feet, and ALL of the credit goes to his grandma who is footing the bill for all of us. I'm new to the boards, long time lurker, just started posting today. *HI!**

For us, we have told the kids both times.

My son is the type who likes to know what is coming and isn't big on sudden changes or surprises. He's a "planner" like his Mom :-)

I also find that the building of the anticipation is half of the fun of a Disney Trip! Once you're there it's kind of a whirlwind and goes quickly. I found all the planning that you do ahead of time can be fun for the whole family so we all get into it!

For our last visit, we went to see family in FL and pulled out bags for each kid with a t-shirt and other Disney themed items "on the way back home" just 20 minutes from WDW. They were shocked. It was so much fun, and it didn't sink in until we drove onto property.

Our visit in less than 2 weeks is a surprise last minute idea. I'm telling them when I pick them up early from school. It's been 1.5 years and I'd like to hear their ideas of what they'd like to do and see on the trip south so I can adjust FP+ if needed.

The big girls knew we were going 18 months in advance, and they had so much fun watching ride videos, saving up all their report card and birthday and Christmas money (and ASKING for "Disney money!" for birthdays and Christmas instead of presents, and they had SO MUCH FUN spending all their own money when we were there.

I think personally, a good 3/4 of the fun of a trip is in the planning, so I'd hate to not give that to them.

(And also.. I think the surprise squeals might actually break an eardrum or two, so I don't know if I'd want that :P)

For a Disney vacation, I'm definitely for telling kids ahead of time.

I think part of the fun of a big trip is anticipating it. Not only would DS miss out on that, but I would also miss out on a lot by having to hide it. I like having everyone's input into the planning, as well.

We have done surprises for day-trips closer to home, though.

I think the anticipation and assistance in planning is a big part of the enjoyment factor for our family.

I think planning and counting down to the trip as a family is a lot of fun too, especially since WDW is such a big, involved trip for our family. I know that some kids don't do well with anticipation or waiting a long time for something to happen which is why doing a surprise reveal right before a trip (or closer to the trip) is the way to go for many families. For our next Disney trip our kids will know about the trip well in advance, but we plan to throw some elements of surprise in there like surprising the kids by staying somewhere they didn't expect us to stay at and maybe doing a surprise day at a water park or other attraction/park we haven't visited before.

Last edited:
I have lots of time to decide, but I thought I'd get some thoughts. We're planning a trip for a year and 1/2 from now (I know... a long way out!), we have 3 girls (5, 5, and 6). They'll be 6, 7, and 8 by the time of our trip. I think it'd be fun to surprise the girls and not tell them where we're going- just let them figure it out and watch the look on their faces! We went 3 years ago, but they were so little they don't remember and would be SO excited to go back!

So, which is better? Building the anticipation with themed movie nights, giving gift certificates for park shopping for Christmas/birthdays and things like that? Or having it be a total surprise and driving onto the property/videoing their response.

Anyone done it both ways?

I guess it depends on your kids. Do they generally handle surprises well? Do they need transition time and space to process plans and ideas?

My kids definitely do NOT do well with surprises of any sort. They handle changes and transitions best when they can plan for them and think about them ahead of time. If I just picked them up for school with their bags packed and headed for the airport without them knowing, they would FREAK out and not in a good way. It would make them miserable to have not been able to prepare themselves ahead of time.

I'm pretty much the same way. Surprise party? Ugh. No, I'd be miserable the whole time. A surpise trip would be even worse.

I have lots of time to decide, but I thought I'd get some thoughts. We're planning a trip for a year and 1/2 from now (I know... a long way out!), we have 3 girls (5, 5, and 6). They'll be 6, 7, and 8 by the time of our trip. I think it'd be fun to surprise the girls and not tell them where we're going- just let them figure it out and watch the look on their faces! We went 3 years ago, but they were so little they don't remember and would be SO excited to go back!

So, which is better? Building the anticipation with themed movie nights, giving gift certificates for park shopping for Christmas/birthdays and things like that? Or having it be a total surprise and driving onto the property/videoing their response.

Anyone done it both ways?

My son just turned 4 and he already tells just about everyone that he is going to Disney World when he turns 5 - he gets so excited talking about it. We had planned to surprise him, but I'm actually enjoying the lead up now and hope he gets excited to help with the planning.

I'm really glad I found this thread! We were going to surprise our 4 kids the day before we left but after reading about some kids not liking surprises and being "planners" we realized one of the 4 wouldn't like the trip sprung on him. So we surprised them a week out which turned out to be just enough time to make our planner happy but close enough to avoid the dreaded " when are we going?" Every few minutes!

We are surprising our DD6 with her and our first trip to Disney World. We have been to DL with her twice and DL Paris once. I feel that she has some idea of what to expect. I won't however tell her another plan that she could get her her heart set on and then change at the last minute with disney world. We will just wake her up, have her get dressed and give her a chance to pack a few last minute items and then head to the airport. She loves to fly, to the point when she has said to me "Mommy I want to go on a plane today". With her being in school now I don't want her to focus on the trip but school. I will let her teacher know that she will miss 2 days, and not to tell her. My DH however, he needs to know ahead of time or he is Mr Grumpypants.

I'd say it depends on your kids. If you really want to surprise them, maybe do it before you leave? I personally don't like to be surprised, and I like having the freedom to pack for myself and prepare myself. If we just drove straight onto Disney property, I wouldn't be too pleased because I wouldn't have had the mental preparation needed for a trip. So, I would let your girls have a little anticipation beforehand, since that would add some excitement.

Oh this gets me so excited! I am surprising DD too! We have NEVER been so although I agree that it would be fun to plan with her, we don't know enough to plan it together anyway. I am going to tell her that we are going on a two day trip because we have to be up for an early flight. I was thinking of having Mickey pancakes made and a box for her to unwrap. I was also thinking of getting us matching Surprise We're Going to Disney shirts made. Anyone with suggestions on shirts??

Good luck with your plans!

Oh this gets me so excited! I am surprising DD too! I was also thinking of getting us matching Surprise We're Going to Disney shirts made. Anyone with suggestions on shirts??

Totally relate to your excitement!! We're surprising our kids with a Disney cruise...just weeks away! As for matching T's: Check out the DISign boards here or Etsy for Disney graphics & ideas. HAVE FUN!! Your DD is gonna be SOOO HAPPY!!!

I have three very different boys and will treat each one a little differently. We are planning on going in November and for my oldest who will be 10, I will tell him about a month out. I plan on sending a note to his teacher as he will panic that he is missing school so if I have the teacher and him on the same plan that will work better. My middle son who will be almost 8, I will tell about two weeks out. He won't have to wait to long but can still share with his friends and he can discuss with his older brother what rides they want to try.
My youngest is a whole other story. He will be 5 and I think I may just say lets go to Disney when he wakes up. Otherwise, he would be asking me every minute when we are going. As of right now before bed every night he wants to talk about the rides we went on...that is his bedtime story.
So I think it just depends on your child. Have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter