Surprise the Teens or Not?

VKtravel

Always Trying to Create Magic Behind the Scenes
Okay, I need help here. We are taking our teen daughters to Disney and Universal for Christmas break and they don't know it yet. We went to Disney World when they were 6 and 4 which they knew about (but now don't remember) and the Disney Cruise when they were 9 and 7 which was a total surprise. Now that they are 15 and 13 we are heading back but wondering if we should tell them early or surprise them the week before we leave. What do you think? Should we surprise them or do you think they would want to help with the planning or at least what's left of it. Anyone with any experience with this one? What's a great way to surprise them? We have done the scavenger hunt already. Looking for something age appropriate and different.

TIA
A Confused Mom

Are they into Disney still? Would they react the way you want them to if you surprised them with it? If you think yes, then surprise them, otherwise, tell them upfront so as not to be let down yourself if they don't get as excited as you would hope.

They like Disney and have asked to go because they barely remember when we went to the park. But I definitely don't expect the big reaction that we got from the Disney Cruise reveal. The good thing is that they are always up for something new and exciting. They definitely want to see Epcot and Pandora. Thinking it would be a good idea to spend additional days at Universal.

I wouldn't surprise them - what about things they've planned to do over that vacation week? Homework that would need to be done in advance, group work on a project, just plans to visit friends and have parties and sleepovers would end up being cancelled, etc. My kids had busy vacation weeks - surprising them with a trip would mean they'd have to tell a lot of friends that they were backing out of plans. Some of the activities planned cost money (going to a show in the city) so someone would be out of some money for that as well.

Tell them!

I agree with DisneyOma - teens will make their own plans for break if they don't know that they're going away.

If you want a "reveal" you could easily use Halloween! Make them up pumpkins with some candy and a bunch of Disney things (and/or Harry Potter stuff to hint at Universal). Put fake "airline tickets" in the bottom with the dates.

DisneyOma and PollyannaMom, you guys are making a great point. I literally just heard my daughter mention something about having a sleepover during Christmas break! We weren't going to take them out of school so they wouldn't miss any tests or assignments...BUT this would mess with their covert plans. Thanks for the advice and feedback!

Besides them having their own plans, I would think they would like to help plan. My 14 year old is big into having a say in the plans so I think he would be hurt if we tried to surprise him with anything bigger than a weekend trip away.

I love surprising my kids (did it the last time for a 9 day trip the morning of), but my teens have their vacation weeks jammed packed with fun with friends.

As others have said...let them know so they can prepare. As much fun as Disney maybe and as much as you may think they want to go...Kids are going to want to hang with their friends and telling them will allow them to process it and plan for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter