*Surprise* Trick a Treaters INSIDE the house!

.....one group of little boys - I'd guess they were 5 years old- tried to grab the candy out of my hands as I was giving it out, then they told me I had a big butt...
.....yeah, but something REALLY scary would have been that they told you that you are rooting for the Royals....

We and a few neighbors sit in my driveway. So even after getting candy in 1 place from 3 or more households, some of the little kids still try to go past us to my front door. It's usually funny hearing their parents try to explain to them that they don't need to ring my doorbell. They are so cute.

I originally would sit inside alone, jumping up and down to answer the door and try to keep my dog calm. Then I moved myself out to the driveway one year and over the years other neighbors joined me. Now it's a little party. We decorate the yard, the dog comes out on a leash and we all really enjoy the evening together.

A few years ago, a 2-year old dressed as Elmo walked right into my house when I turned to get some candy. She saw my rabbits in their pens and started walking toward them. All her mom said was, "Oh do you want to see the bunnies? They don't bite, do they?" I said, "Well, they might bite if they get scared." Mom gave me a slightly disgusted look and finally walked in to her child. Sorry, if your kid walks into my house and starts poking fingers at my rabbits, I can't guarantee that they won't get nippy. And why would you let your child just walk in when I'm not looking? How about, "No honey, we don't go into other people's houses."

I have a baby gate we put up at the door to keep the dogs in and safe from grabby hands. Now doubly glad that it keeps kids from coming in!

I gave up on participating in handing out treats 11 years ago when a group of young teens pushed their way into my vestibule and started grabbing candy, pushing me back and demanding more. I yelled for my husband and he came and used "the voice" on them. After he passed away, I wasn't about to handle that on my own. Now I just turn off the porch light and don't answer the door or I go help someone else.

I know what you mean. We didn't have a lot of trick-or-treaters, and the majority were adorable, and said trick or treat and thank you, and loved what candy they got. But one group of little boys - I'd guess they were 5 years old- tried to grab the candy out of my hands as I was giving it out, then they told me I had a big butt. That was fun.
I'm sorry, but you made me laugh. Sounds just like something that would happen here.

In general, I will say I am shocked by the boldness of trick or treaters. Even kids who are old enough to know better. Many kids tonight crossed the threshold of my front door and put their hand in the candy bowl and told us what they wanted. One reached in and took handfuls....my husband made him give some back.

I experienced the same behavior repeatedly my first Halloween (2012) in my new neighborhood. The crossing the threshold, combined with blatant casing of homes (a home invasion occurred a week later) led my neighbors and me to begin an annual Halloween block party. We gather together to pass out candy so that no one has to open their door for strangers. The event has become a lot of fun, livened up by goodies from the neighbors and my special vodka punch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter