Surprise trip to Boston following redirected Virgin flight

katytrott

DIS Veteran
Just wondering if anyone here was on the infamous VS016 flight on the 8.50 flight on 3/11/11? WOW what a journey. If there is anyone here who was on it are you planning to take it any further? What was your experience like?

Just to fill everyone else in the flight was 4 hours into the journey just going over the Atlantic (kids asleep) when the captain came on saying "I'm sure some of you have noticed a lot of activity from cabin crew, but we seem to have a problem with the air conditioning system and feel it's too dangerous to continue going over the Atlantic, so we are going to have to turn round and head to Boston". As u can imagine there was even more activity by the cabin crew as they had to deal with all the passengers with fear of flying, plus everyone else who starting to get nervous and wanted info. I have to say I was ok until the captain came on later saying "some people have reported a weird smell but please don't be alarmed". Also when we dropped 10,000 feet in 1 min - something to do with dumping fuel and the jet stream we were in. That's when your imagination can start going into overdrive, but we realised that if it really was dangerous, they would have come down in Halifax which we went over, but instead they said we could make it to Boston which was the nearest airport where Virgin had a base which meant ground crew and virgin engineers.

I forget what time we landed (safely - it's amazing how u start listening to all the bumps and wirring in that situation) but I think it was about 1am. We were were told originally it would be about 1.5 hours approx on the Tarmac, but once we were down and the engineer was on board, that we would all disembark and our return time wouldn't be till 11.40pm (slight confusion there as the head cabin crew chap actually originally said pm TOMORROW, but apparently they were all confused as to what day it was and meant the day we were already in - Fri).

Very long story short we were put up in hotels (but our hotel load didn't get to our rooms till 7am) and following a catalogue of disasters we eventually landed 10am sat at gatwick. I don't think I have ever been that tired in my life - I generally just doze on night flights, so effectively I had 4 hours sleep from thur am to sat pm, combined with the stress of flying with 2 toddlers and boston's ground crews **** ups.

Eventually the captain told us there was a small electrical fire and an arcing (sp?) between the crews rest area and a reading lamp, so it could have been bad. I have to say the flight cabin crew were fantastic and we had the same team (and plane!) for the final journey home. To be fair to the Virgin Boston ground crew, it was a logistical nightmare for them - it was the middle of the night so skeleton staff were called in, and they only get aircraft no bigger then 200 odd, not the 453 from ours. Other upside was we had a day in Boston which I had always wanted to see. It was beautiful and a lot of us took the hop on/off tours around.

:scared1: What an ordeal :eek:

Thank goodness you are home safely, but I woudn't wish that on anyone - especially with two young children just to make things more difficult. So when they said there was a funny smell and not to be alarmed it was actually a small fire? Wow, I wonder if there really was anything wrong with the aircon, or maybe the aircon was what caused it :confused: You must have been wishing they had discovered a problem a little sooner than 4 hours across the Atlantic! I think sleep is in order for you - big time! :hug: Oh, and definitely a stiff drink!!!

OMG, what a nightmare!!!! and with two toddlers!!

just one correction - no one has fear of flying....what they (and i) have is fear of crashing....
the flying part is fine....

i probably would have been a basket case...probably a coronary to be sure!!!

was the weather in boston ok? were you dressed warmly enough?
it can be mighty mighty mighty cold there!!!

in any case, it is a happy ending after all.....just a bad case of exhaustion is certainly better than the possible alternatives!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

That explains the delay my parents faced the following day on that flight which left MCO at 1135pm rather than 850pm. Glad you were all safe and finally got home

Celestine

Oh wow what a few days you had glad you are home safe and sound :)

Had to do an emergency landing a few years ago about an hour after leaving Orlando I could feel the plane descending about 10 minuted later the captain told us was going to make a emergency landing in JFK as a problem had come up with the Hydraulics. He also told us the runway will be lined with fire brigade and ambulances as a safety precaution all we could see coming down was flashing lights :laughing:. Got to stay overnight and got home a day late. I was a nervous flyer before that since then no nerves at all so in a way it was a good thing for me well in the end :)

I believe my friend Heather (also a DISer) was on that flight. I know she posted on FB yesterday saying she wasn't sure when she would be home as they had been diverted to Boston.

My bed has never felt so good! We all slept nearly 14 hours last night and feeling better today. I think some had it worse on the plane though - I heard that when some had made it to their allocated hotel, they were told there was no room and had to go back to the hotel. It was 6 hours for us from landing to getting into bed, partly due to having to get all our luggage (they wouldn't keep it on board even though we were taking the same plane home as some passengers wanted theirs off), and also because our bus driver was told to take us to the Marriott coutyard but not which one out of the 4 (had a tour round Boston to the wrong one only to discover it was the airport one!).

We were giving breakfast/lunch/dinner vouchers (don't think many used the breakfast one as most were in bed), but we were eventually told we were going to be picked up from our hotels from 3pm onwards and then go for a meal by Virgin and the airports Hilton hotel. We then discovered that our hotel pick up was at 6.30, left at 7.45 and took till 8.15 to queue again to recheck and get our seats (another disaster: we all lost our original seats and loads of families ended up separated including children and special need families - there was one family who's severely autistic 15yo ended up separated!). We then made it to the meal only to see them clearing up with a sign saying "virgin Atlantic meal 5-8pm. By then we had had enough: by brother stormed into their kitchen, helped himself to a plate and food and told the staff he didn't care when they said he shouldn't be there!

Loading onto the plane took forever as all the disabled passengers were allocated awful seats right at the back of the plane (their bus were last to get to check in), so it took staff a long time to get all those loaded (and probably a lot of pain - went through that with my disabled brother in law a few years ago).

Nevermind - as you say better then the alternative, plus, air staff were great and ground staff were working at last min with more passengers then they were used to.

Boston was stunning and we also got to go to the Cheers bar which was really exciting (have been humming that theme tune ever since!). You're right, Boston was freezing and a lot were in florida gear, but the sun was shining. It also helped to stop the post Disney blues and I'm guessing not too many struggled with jobs/school as it was thur/fri flight and had the w/e to catch up.

We were given 1500 flyer miles (cant remeber the exact figure off hand - might be more) as compensation, problem with that is there are many on board who prob won't ever use them, like my nephew who came with us who has never used virgin before and prob won't again (he's 15). Does anyone think we could be reimbursed anything?

Sorry to hear about your flight but my understanding from working at virgin is amyone under 16 cant ahve a flying club account so im not sure if this has changed in the last few years

Glad you got home safely

We would have been on that flight if we had come home one day later, i would have been going crazy as im a very nervous flyer

oh good grief...I would have been a jibbering wreck with my mascara running down my face!!! Would have been well happy to get off but not sure about getting back on the same plane..:scared1:
Glad you had a good time in Boston as that is somewhere we are thinking of going for a short break.:)

Sorry to hear about your flight but my understanding from working at virgin is amyone under 16 cant ahve a flying club account so im not sure if this has changed in the last few years

You can have a flying club account from age 12 - my girls have both had them since they were 13 and 14 respectively. The terms and conditions link is below - you need permission if under 18.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/frequentflyer/tsandcs/flyingclubmembership.jsp

katytrott, if you send your nephew an invitation to join then when he gets miles from his first 'qualifying' flight, you will get some bonus miles too (use the link below)

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/frequentflyer/miles_morefriends/index.jsp

that's insane that they separated a family with a severely autistic boy!!!!

very cool about going to the cheers bar!!!

that's insane that they separated a family with a severely autistic boy!!!!

Agreed - absolutely disgusting treatment. Sorry, but they could have rather separated couples with no kids if it was so essential. sounds like total chaos. I know it wasn't planned but surely it could have been handled better?

I wonder if there is somewhere you could get impartial advice on what your rights may be to claim compensation for this.

Virgin will compensate with air miles, they provide accommodation and food - if you want financial compensation check your travel insurance - my policy covers re-direction after take-off.

To be honest - I feel sorry for the plane crew what more can they do, it is just as stressful for the staff who are in the same boat, very little sleep and have to carry on smiling and being helpful while some passengers vent their anger at the situation (having experienced a 20 hour delay myself - I saw the dreadful behaviour of some customers and had to admire the crew for not biting back!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter