Surprise Upgrade???

sammysmom

DIS Veteran
Just curious for all of you have received surprise upgrades, had you checked in online before you arrived or did you just do the normal check in? Is there a chance of being upgraded if you check in online?? I know that upgrades happen few and far between however, I was just trying to figure out which happen more frequently. Please share your stories!!!

Just curious for all of you have received surprise upgrades, had you checked in online before you arrived or did you just do the normal check in? Is there a chance of being upgraded if you check in online?? I know that upgrades happen few and far between however, I was just trying to figure out which happen more frequently. Please share your stories!!!

Out of our 7 on-site stays, we have only been upgraded once and we had done on-line check in.

As you are aware, I am sure the upgrade was probably for resort purposes (we had booked a SV CL room and those were probably all out, so they upgraded us to Lagoon view CL) but we were also chosen as Family of the Day which we were notified of at check in, which was really cool! :wizard:

We checked-in on-line to BC CL (water/pool view) - when we arrived the CM said they had a surprise for us, a suite.

HOWEVER - the suite was on the 1st floor - located at the far South-East end of BC (closest to Epcot) - meaning to use the CL lounge we would have a 5 minute walk and elevator ride up to the 5th floor - we turned down the suite and took a standard water-view room on the 5th floor.

I've only been upgraded once and that was from garden view to water view at BC.

In our case, we requested connecting rooms with my parents as well as full balconies. We also did online check-in.

We got the connecting rooms but not the full balconies. I suspect that they may have given us the category upgrade to make up for not giving us the full balconies.

From this experience, I've learned that it never hurts to make room requests because if you don't get that request granted, they may upgrade you instead.

Upgrade occur at the discretion and convenience of the resort and they are things you have absolutely no control over.

Online check-in vs. regular check-in has nothing to do with room availability, maintenance issues, guests having to stay longer than expected due to weather issues at home, overbooking at other resorts, etc.

There is nothing you can do to have a better chance of getting an upgrade. The question is asked a hundred different ways, but the outcome is always the same. You cannot expect it nor do you have any opportunity to "increase" your chances.

We have been upgraded twice. Once to a 2 bedroom suite at Yacht Club and the other to Lagoon view at Yacht Club. I never do online check in, I like the flexibility that I PERCEIVE I have at the front desk! Both upgrades happened very early in the day which to me is backwards as to how I would think they would happen...(meaning you show up and all the rooms are gone in your booked category so here you go). In MY case, both were very early check ins.

We have been upgraded twice. Once to a 2 bedroom suite at Yacht Club and the other to Lagoon view at Yacht Club. I never do online check in, I like the flexibility that I PERCEIVE I have at the front desk! Both upgrades happened very early in the day which to me is backwards as to how I would think they would happen...(meaning you show up and all the rooms are gone in your booked category so here you go). In MY case, both were very early check ins.

Maybe the YC is just awesome at upgrades because that's where ours was. :goodvibes

However, we arrived VERY late...pretty close to midnight...:upsidedow

Maybe the YC is just awesome at upgrades because that's where ours was. :goodvibes

However, we arrived VERY late...pretty close to midnight...:upsidedow

Well I thought it was because I stayed there every summer and felt like a regular! LOL! Sometimes I think the conventioneers get the standard rooms etc. so maybe they bump the guests not on such a discount as a conventioneer would be? I don't know...I wasn't complaining!!!:goodvibes

We have stayed at Wilderness lodge 5x and gotten a upgrade every single time without asking! Checking in at various times. We love that resort

Not really sure if this was an upgrade or not, but we just got back from 9 days at POFQ. We originally booked standard view and later upgraded to garden view. We checked in online and when we got to the room it was first floor, building 6 facing the river. Although there was a bush outside the room, it seemed to me that we got water view for garden view price.

In May we were booked for the last night of our trip at the Poly to spend 2 days (well almost 2 days :) ) relaxing and recovering before going home. This was a stretch for us financially so that's why we only booked the 1 night. We booked a standard room. I did do online check in.

Upon check in we were placed in a Pool View Club Level Room in the Hawaii building. a DREAM!!! :cloud9: we are now wrecked and are trying to plan a trip back there at the end of next year!! :) I think that's why they do it! haha

There's always the same person who is such a downer everytime this question comes up!
I was upgraded from GV @ the GF to Sugarloaf CL- so exciting, but honestly, the parks were empty!
We also got a gorgeous Castle view in RPC GF, which wasn't a room category like it is now, but we requested it and honestly, it was the best stay of our life.. I stared at that Castle for hours!
Best of Luck and Pixie Dust to everyone on getting an upgrade!! XO:thumbsup2pixiedust:

Online checkin. Was upgraded from BC to BC-CL while on a 35 or 40% annual pass discount.

There's always the same person who is such a downer everytime this question comes up!
I was upgraded from GV @ the GF to Sugarloaf CL- so exciting, but honestly, the parks were empty!
We also got a gorgeous Castle view in RPC GF, which wasn't a room category like it is now, but we requested it and honestly, it was the best stay of our life.. I stared at that Castle for hours!
Best of Luck and Pixie Dust to everyone on getting an upgrade!! XO:thumbsup2pixiedust:

nice!

also, i agree.... good luck to everyone on getting upgrades! i want to hear the stories, they are fun.

there is one way that supposedly makes it easier to be upgraded, be on a premium or platinum plan - or so I've read.

This is our third time doing platinum - first time, no upgrade at AKL, not even a king bed (requested) for our honeymoon - second trip at poly - upgraded to TPV CL...

It really varies. We check in Oct 6 at the Poly. The construction there might not make it a true test of this is true that the premium and platinum plans get upgraded more often, but it's all I got to work with :)

We got a surprise upgrade in July at AKL and had checked in online before arriving. I think they upgraded us when we arrived though... :cool1:

Last Christmas, we did online check-in for All-Star Music (standard room) and when we got there, they upgraded us to a family suite!

I've never had an upgrade, but dh did when he went with his family several years ago. It was an extended family trip, they had booked several rooms at a mod-I think CBR. Anyway, they overbooked or something, but they were all upgraded to the Contemporary.

We have never on line checked in

We have been up graded
Gfx2 view and to CK
Poly view
Akl view savanna
From all star to port Orleans

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter