Surprise! We're NOT going to Disney! 9/18-9/25 <<Update 3/24 Page 21>>

Welcome home, Tim! Great to know that you have joined the DVC family. It will pay off in no time. :goodvibes

Oh my, what a start to your trip with a traffic jam on the motorway. Good to hear that you did make it with a little time to spare.
And when I read only two people in line at the Hertz counter I was thinking of a recent trip we took. Short wait ..... well, maybe not.

Can't wait to read more!

Congrats on joining DVC - we've talked about it but just haven't made the numbers work. Plus we already have another timeshare - if we didn't have that one might be more appealing.

Ah, the joys of CT roads ... we got stuck in CT traffic our last trip, though your arrival of 1.5 hours early sounds like a luxury ... we were planning to arrive >2 hours early and wound up getting there ~35min before take off :eek:

That is some ominous foreshadowing at the end of your post

And I thought I was bad with luggage! :rotfl2:

I would've been panicking about getting there on time too.
Glad you made it though!

I hate Hertz...and my SIL works for them. I will never rent from them again. I hope you had a better experience than us...but the crew that work in FL are horrible and when we wrote to complain they have never responded or try to make things right.

So happy for you and your family at becoming DVC members. So exciting!

I have a feeling you won’t be able to get away with fooling Juliana anymore after this one.

I was a little stressed while reading about the traffic situation. Whew

Great photo bomb pic. Lol

The pile of luggage, lol. I remember those days… Umm, lets make a list of what we don’t bring.

A nightmare…yikes!

Kidani's slide is very good. I went down it with Cayley and Avery.
Did they have to talk you into it or did you go willingly? :rotfl:

She is growing like a weed; and so excited to read the news yesterday posted by Mel.
We got Juliana's numbers tonight... all good. :)

Blah blah blah; I think to aggravate you I'll spoil my grandkids if or when they ever come and continue to spoil yours too!
You better not! :sad2:

Oh and not to rub it in, but you missed my update (Mark got a job!).
Great news! :thumbsup2

Welcome Home! I love DVC and you were smart to buy resale!
Thanks! We are really excited about it. We are already planning how we are going to use our points next year. :rotfl2:

I love your plans. I really love AKL...so much that's where I own. ;)
AKL is really amazing. We might try to stay there next year. Juliana is voting for the beach club.

That traffic is scary but I'm glad you made it to the airport on time. The kids are so cute! That is a ton of luggage!
We tried to pack light this time. :faint:

Uh oh! I see foreshadowing.
Ya think? :rotfl2:

Love the Poly, but NOT the price tag
Tell me about it... maybe someday I'll get to stay there using points.

I would have been a nervous wreck with that traffic.
We were sooooo nervous.

Maybe that's where Juliana got the idea to photobomb our photo?
Could be.

She is just shy; but she has a gorgeous smile when she shows it.
Which isn't too often when other people are around. :rotfl:

Oh yes...the nightmare. I can't wait to see it in writing.
Ah yes.... you will see it alright.

Yeah... blame the kids... :rolleyes1
I came home from picking Christopher up from school and I hear banging on the computer. I didn't know they knew how to post. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I'm glad that you made it to the airport on time despite the traffic. To me, that is the most stressful part of flying. I hate having to get to the airport and get through security and everything. I always end up sitting around way too long, but I guess I'd rather be relaxing near the gate than rushing around stressed out.
It was terrible. I thought I built in enough time even if we left late but I guess I didn't.:crazy2:

And you really don't pack light. Looks more like you're moving to Florida than visiting. :rotfl::lmao::rotfl2:
Nah, we always pack way too much. :faint:

Welcome home, Tim! Great to know that you have joined the DVC family. It will pay off in no time. :goodvibes

I hope it does pay off... considering our WDW travel patterns since we started going in 2008, I have a good feeling it will. :)

Oh my, what a start to your trip with a traffic jam on the motorway. Good to hear that you did make it with a little time to spare.
Not a good way to start out a trip.

And when I read only two people in line at the Hertz counter I was thinking of a recent trip we took. Short wait ..... well, maybe not.
Yea, it wasn't a great moment for Hertz. :faint:

Congrats on joining DVC - we've talked about it but just haven't made the numbers work. Plus we already have another timeshare - if we didn't have that one might be more appealing.
When we really started looking at the benefits and price it seemed like a good fit for us. Being able to have a 1BR makes a huge difference in comfort. However, we are thinking of a week stay in a studio next summer to save on points.:surfweb:

Ah, the joys of CT roads ... we got stuck in CT traffic our last trip, though your arrival of 1.5 hours early sounds like a luxury ... we were planning to arrive >2 hours early and wound up getting there ~35min before take off :eek:
CT, NY, NJ traffic is all the same. The highways really stink here. It doesn't help that many of them are only 2 lanes.

That is some ominous foreshadowing at the end of your post
just a little.... :lmao:

And I thought I was bad with luggage! :rotfl2:
:rotfl2:

I think we have you beat.

I would've been panicking about getting there on time too.
Glad you made it though!
I couldn't imagine if we missed it. I'd never hear the end of it. :rolleyes2

I hate Hertz...and my SIL works for them. I will never rent from them again. I hope you had a better experience than us...but the crew that work in FL are horrible and when we wrote to complain they have never responded or try to make things right.
Let's just say I'll never use them again. :rolleyes2

So happy for you and your family at becoming DVC members. So exciting!
We are still excited! We are trying to figure out how to use our points next year. :wizard:

I have a feeling you won’t be able to get away with fooling Juliana anymore after this one.
We already told her we are going next summer. I can't keep another secret so soon. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

I was a little stressed while reading about the traffic situation. Whew
I was getting stressed out writing about it. :rotfl:

Great photo bomb pic. Lol
Yea he got us good. After I took the pic I checked to see if I actually got me & Christopher in the pics and I saw him. I told him nice photobomb. Then thought I should never say bomb on while on a plane. :lmao:

The pile of luggage, lol. I remember those days… Umm, lets make a list of what we don’t bring.
:lmao::lmao:

That list is probably shorter than what we do bring.

HOLY LUGGAGE BATMAN! I agree looks like your moving to FL!!! :thumbsup2
I don't know what the numbers mean but i hope that is all good news!

Your Kids are simply ADORABLE! that smile could melt Elsa's castle!

I love the photobomb!!! :lmao: that guy's a riot!!! CONGRATS ON BECOMING DVC MEMBERS! :cheer2: :thumbsup2

you do have one smart cookie! Juliana knew right away! Not mine they were OBLIVIOUS about the surprise trip - even when i told them they didn't 'get it'

Even better you knew how to get around your traffic. I will say at least you have one heck of a view to be stuck in traffic! it's beautiful!!!

As for the Poly. We adore the Poly. everything about it.. Until now with the construction. just breaks my heart!

:rotfl: Love the plane guy photobomb, and saying bomb on a plane.....:lmao: whoopsie!!! Traffic stinks! We are 20 minutes from the airport here, yet need to leave 3 hours early just to get through security and traffic at Newark :drive: sometimes driving ain't so bad....

Congrats on DVC :cheer2: (and wowza that's some pile o'luggage)

HOLY LUGGAGE BATMAN! I agree looks like your moving to FL!!! :thumbsup2
LOL It felt like it. Thank goodness I talked Melody into just using the pack-n-play that was provided for us instead of bring ours. :rotfl2:

I don't know what the numbers mean but i hope that is all good news!
Juliana was diagnosed with kidney cancer at age 1 and had a nephrectomy and about 6 months of chemotherapy. She now goes for yearly checkups and just went on Monday. We finally got the results from her scans and blood draw and they all came back great. :goodvibes

Your Kids are simply ADORABLE! that smile could melt Elsa's castle!
Thank you. :goodvibes

I love the photobomb!!! :lmao: that guy's a riot!!! CONGRATS ON BECOMING DVC MEMBERS! :cheer2: :thumbsup2
Thank you! We are very excited about it!

you do have one smart cookie! Juliana knew right away! Not mine they were OBLIVIOUS about the surprise trip - even when i told them they didn't 'get it'
:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2:

Even better you knew how to get around your traffic. I will say at least you have one heck of a view to be stuck in traffic! it's beautiful!!!
The trees were starting to change when we left and it looked totally different when we got back. ::yes::

As for the Poly. We adore the Poly. everything about it.. Until now with the construction. just breaks my heart!
We did eat there during the trip and the Poly was a disaster. :scared:

:rotfl: Love the plane guy photobomb, and saying bomb on a plane.....:lmao: whoopsie!!!
Yea... I didn't think about it then. :rotfl2:

Traffic stinks! We are 20 minutes from the airport here, yet need to leave 3 hours early just to get through security and traffic at Newark :drive: sometimes driving ain't so bad....
Newark huh? We flew out of there once. Just once. ;)

Congrats on DVC :cheer2: (and wowza that's some pile o'luggage)
Thank you! We can't wait to use some more points! :lmao:

So where were we? Ah, yes just about to get in line waiting to pick up our rental car through Hertz. Before I get into this story, I must back track just a little bit. The night before we left I hopped on Costco's website to check the rates of cars. I'm not sure why I did this other than to torture myself when I saw minivans and standard SUV prices about $50 less than what I had already paid through priceline. Hertz has a minivan prices $40 cheaper than what I had paid. DOH!

Anyway, I get to the line for Hertz and there were 2 people in front of me with 4 counter agents working. I thought to myself 'Great! We will be outta here in no time!' After about 10 minutes, 2 agents that were helping other people finish up and head in back leaving 2 agents at the desk. The guy in front of me is getting really mad- huffing, puffing, pacing. I'm keeping my cool for the most part. Melody is standing with Juliana & Gabby while Christopher is with me running back and forth under the ropes and just bouncing off the walls.

It took another 12 minutes till I got to the counter. OK. I was going to smile and be pleasant and work my charm. I asked if they had any SUVs in the standard class that had 3rd row seating. The agent starts typing away going back and forth between 2 computers and says they have something availale but it would cost an additional $16 per day x8 days not including taxes. I respectfully decline and ask if they would just swap our reservation for a minivan. I knew that the current prices were less than what I paid for our standard SUV. He goes back typing away. He would have to charge us $16 a day. I decline and just ask for our standard SUV. He starts typing away again. After about 5 minutes he says I can do the minivan for $13 a day. I tell him no thanks I'll just take what I had booked. He goes back typing again….

In the mean time, Gabby is screaming, Juliana is complaining she is hungry (It was 1:40pm), and Christopher is still running around like a maniac. After another 5 minutes the agent says he can give me a minivan for $10 a day. Now I'm starting to get annoyed. I tell him to please just give me what I had reserved. Another 5 minutes of typing…. now Melody is getting annoyed. Finally I have some paperwork to sign. I was given a Chevy Captiva. I had no idea what that even was. But I accepted and finally left the counter after another 20 minutes there.

We walk across to the garage, find the truck, and looking at it, quickly realize 1) this isn't a standard SUV- there are cars bigger than this piece of crap, 2) getting the luggage to fit is going to be a challenge. Melody suggests to go and talk to somebody but the kids were cranky and I just wasted about 45 minutes of my life getting this crappy car, I wasn't going to waste anymore of my time. I started loading the car and getting the luggage to fit was like playing a game of tetris. I had to arrange and rearrange numerous times to finally get everything to fit. Luggage was to the roof in the back, we had luggage behind the seats, & Melody had luggage at her legs in front. Juliana was literally squished between 2 car seats. We felt bad for her but she said she was ok. The car itself had dings and dents all over it and I was sure to show the agent at the gate because I wasn't going to get blamed for all that. Here is what we ended up with:

We were finally driving heading toward….. NOT Disney but to Melody's cousin's house who lives just north of WDW. We stopped to grab some lunch and I called Priceline. I was very unhappy with my experience with Hertz. They started a file and said I would hear something within 10 days of drop off. It was little consolation at the time but since then I did receive $100 credit to my credit card. It is nice of them to try to make it right but honestly, I wish I didn't get a refund and just got the car class I booked.

Melody's cousins were still at work when we arrived but we had the code to get into their house. I dropped everyone off, unloaded some of the luggage, and went to pick up 2 of the their boys at school. They were a little shy at first- we had not seen each other for over a year. Once we got to the house and they saw our kids they opened right up and the playing commenced. It wasn't long before the whole family arrived home. They have 4 kids- 3 boys and a girl ages 7, 5, 3, 1 so our kids get along with them very well.

They had a little indoor play then moved outside. All Juliana kept asking was to go in the pool. My camera died since someone left it on…(it was me) and my spare battery was dead too. So I don't have many more pictures of the kids playing but I do have a picture of what I was drinking while the kids were playing….

I have my priorities.

We had a great night catching up with the cousins. The kids all slept together in one room and one the lights went out, it was dead quiet in there. Gabby slept in a pack and play with Melody & I in the spare bedroom. When we knew the kids were quiet the adults sat outside at the fire pit and had some drinks. Before we knew it it was 1am. We called it a night. They had work in the morning and we had a busy day the next day- surprising the kids with a Disney cruise!

Up next… Surprise kids, we are NOT going to Disney!

I seriously have no clue how you got ALL of that luggage in there and then when you had an extra passenger later in thet trip. What a nightmare!

I would have found a snack machine and given the kids chips or something and straightened that mess out. But I'm sure you were all tired from the travel already, etc.

I'm glad they at least gave you something for the aggravation.

Glad the kids all get along with their cousins; must be hard not seeing them that often.

Oh gosh - what a terrible experience with Hertz! And to wind up with a car that is not the class you reserved and to have dings and dents all over it?!?!?! I mean, Hertz isn't exactly the super cheapo option either. Kinda ridiculous. At least Priceline tried to make up for it a bit, but I am sure you will not be eager to go with Hertz in the future

Glad the kids had fun playing together - and I fully approve of your beverage choice. Cigar City is a good brewery and I always enjoy getting "local" brews

Ugh, I cannot believe the horrible service at Hertz! I'm glad Priceline tried to make it right but that didn't make up for the wrong class of car.

The kids looked like they had a great time...sounds like the adults did too!

Can't wait to hear how the surprise went!

Jill in CO

I seriously have no clue how you got ALL of that luggage in there and then when you had an extra passenger later in thet trip. What a nightmare!
Listen, I have skilz. I was gonna fit everything in that truck no matter what. :rotfl2:

I would have found a snack machine and given the kids chips or something and straightened that mess out. But I'm sure you were all tired from the travel already, etc.
We travel with snacks but they were past that. They were ready for lunch. It was just a nightmare.

I'm glad they at least gave you something for the aggravation.
Yea, but I woulda taken the right car. :badpc:

Glad the kids all get along with their cousins; must be hard not seeing them that often.
It is hard but we FaceTime with them sometimes and try to talk every once in a while.

Oh gosh - what a terrible experience with Hertz! And to wind up with a car that is not the class you reserved and to have dings and dents all over it?!?!?! I mean, Hertz isn't exactly the super cheapo option either. Kinda ridiculous. At least Priceline tried to make up for it a bit, but I am sure you will not be eager to go with Hertz in the future
I've had great success using priceline in the past. We usually end up with Alamo in Orlando. But after this experience, I might have to be desperate to use priceline again.

Glad the kids had fun playing together - and I fully approve of your beverage choice. Cigar City is a good brewery and I always enjoy getting "local" brews
Cigar City has some really good beers. I've been on an IPA kick recently which I think has destroyed my palate. :rotfl2:

A Disney Cruise. ..how exciting!
It was exciting!!! We will be getting to that very shortly. :goodvibes

Ugh, I cannot believe the horrible service at Hertz! I'm glad Priceline tried to make it right but that didn't make up for the wrong class of car.
I think I received the refund because of the car mess up not the service. :rolleyes2

The kids looked like they had a great time...sounds like the adults did too!
Yes, we did... almost too much fun. :drinking1

Can't wait to hear how the surprise went!

Jill in CO
Coming up next! :goodvibes

At least you got a credit...but that totally sucks. I tell you we had so much trouble with them at the counter in March and will never work with them again or recommend them to anyone....and I have family that works for them. BUT, when I brought the issue to her to fix it, she refused to and that ticked me off as well.

Glad you made it to the cousins and the kids look like they had a ball together.
So at this point your kids just think you are staying with the cousins for a week? :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter