• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

surprised, but I really didn't like World Showcase

5 have movies - Norway, China, America, France and Canada. China is my favorite, followed by France and Canada. I'm bored to tears in the Norway movie, but I'd rather watch that than the America thing. America is the only country that focuses on all its historic faults...choosing to focus on war, slavery, death and the show stopping Indian who breaks into the movie to yell and talk about "my people's suffering."

There is tons of street entertainment if you take the time to watch it. Some I like, some I love (especially Off Kilter). The only thing I really don't like is that weird thing in England.

Mexico and Norway both have boat rides. Norway's is a lot of fun.

The WS is heavy on shopping and dining. But some of the pavilions - especially Morocco - are lovely and very much worth taking the time to investigate.

I really love the WS and have spent more time there than anywhere else in WDW.

It isn't for everyone, though.

But... that's what American history is....

anyways, I guess if you're big on rides, then World Showcase would probably not be for you. But I love the entertainment, especially the bands at Morocco, the acrobats in China, and the mini "theater troop" at the UK.

This will be our family's second WDW trip, and we completely skipped WS last time. Now that the kids are a bit older (5 and 8), I'm really hoping that we'll spend some time at WS.

Quick question - do you have to be eating a table service meal in Morocco to see bellydancing, or do dancers every perform outside? (I'm a bellydance student and am always interested in watching other dancers, but I highly doubt I could convince anyone else in my family to eat at Marakesh).

This will be our family's second WDW trip, and we completely skipped WS last time. Now that the kids are a bit older (5 and 8), I'm really hoping that we'll spend some time at WS.

Quick question - do you have to be eating a table service meal in Morocco to see bellydancing, or do dancers every perform outside? (I'm a bellydance student and am always interested in watching other dancers, but I highly doubt I could convince anyone else in my family to eat at Marakesh).

Last year there was a belly dancer performing with mo rocking at least in the evening when we caught the show.

it was basically all shopping. We were there 2 days last week, including Saturday. There was very little entertainment and only 3 countries had movies. I expected to love it, but I also expected it to be more educational and fun.

anyone else?

For me it's my favorite place in all the parks.

America is the only country that focuses on all its historic faults...choosing to focus on war, slavery, death and the show stopping Indian who breaks into the movie to yell and talk about "my people's suffering."
Are you for REAL??? Historic faults? Slavery was established ~100 years before we declared our independence from British rule in 1776. Was not "abolished" until 1865. We still had white & "Negro" bathrooms, water fountains, seating on buses well into the 1960's. Watch the movie "The Help.". Slavery may have been over but horrible injustices were rampant.

We all but destroyed the native people of this land and stripped them of they're land and way of life.

In our 200+ years of existence we've been in at least 10 wars and/or police actions. And enslaved Africans for nearly half our existence.

The above is not the focus of the film but I'm certainly glad they didn't pretend these important events didn't happen. They shaped us as a nation. Hopefully we've at least learned that our freedom should not be won by the enslavement & destruction of other peoples.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread but I just could not let this slip by.

Are you for REAL??? Historic faults? Slavery was established ~100 years before we declared our independence from British rule in 1776. Was not "abolished" until 1865. We still had white & "Negro" bathrooms, water fountains, seating on buses well into the 1960's. Watch the movie The Help. Slavery may have been over but horrible injustices were rampant.

We all but destroyed the native people of this land and stripped them of they're land and way of life.

In our 200+ years of existence we've been in at least 10 wars and/or police actions.

The above is not the focus of the film but I'm certainly glad they didn't pretend these important events didn't happen. They shaped us as a nation. Hopefully we've at least learned that our freedom should not be won by the enslavement & destruction of other peoples.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread but I just could not let this slip by.
I am for real.

You will not convince me that I like the American Adventure. I don't. I'd still prefer a movie that showcases the beauty and grandeur of our country - I want to see the good stuff, like I do in all the other WS countries.

It is typically American to prefer to showcase all that has been wrong with the country. I understand that many people prefer that.

Almost everyone likes the American Adventure.

I don't.

I am for real.

You will not convince me that I like the American Adventure.

Not my intent to convince you to like the movie.

I'd still prefer a movie that showcases the beauty and grandeur of our country - I want to see the good stuff, like I do in all the other WS countries.

That movie is in the Land Pavillion.

It is typically American to prefer to showcase all that has been wrong with the country.
It is "typically" our history.

I don't.

YUPP. I got that.

That movie is in the Land Pavillion.
It is funny that you mention that. I assume you're talking about Soarin and not CoL.

Soarin is just California, not the entire country.

I never see people getting worked up that we don't see projects in Soarin or people at the welfare office. Nothing about blackouts or the political tensions in the state. Nothing about California's historical faults.

When they made the movie about California, they made a beautiful and entertaining movie.

I wish they'd done the same when they made the movie about the US.

China, France and Canada did it. Norway...well, Norway's movie is boring as crap, but at least it doesn't go into all that has ever been wrong with Norway.

I am for real.

You will not convince me that I like the American Adventure. I don't. I'd still prefer a movie that showcases the beauty and grandeur of our country - I want to see the good stuff, like I do in all the other WS countries.

It is typically American to prefer to showcase all that has been wrong with the country. I understand that many people prefer that.

I don't.

It is funny that you mention that. I assume you're talking about Soarin and not CoL.

Soarin is just California, not the entire country.

I never see people getting worked up that we don't see projects in Soarin or people at the welfare office. Nothing about blackouts or the political tensions in the state. Nothing about California's historical faults.

When they made the movie about California, they made a beautiful and entertaining movie.

I wish they'd done the same when they made the movie about the US.

China, France and Canada did it. Norway...well, Norway's movie is boring as crap, but at least it doesn't go into all that has ever been wrong with Norway.

They did make a beautiful and entertaining movie for the American pavilion that showcases everything that is right about this country. I see people leave the film with tears in their eyes.

Again, no one is trying to convince you to like the movie. But it seems I'm not the only one who objects to your highly flawed analysis of its subject matter.

They did make a beautiful and entertaining movie for the American pavilion that showcases everything that is right about this country. I see people leave the film with tears in their eyes.

Again, no one is trying to convince you to like the movie. But it seems I'm not the only one who objects to your highly flawed analysis of its subject matter.
I didn't analyze anything. There are no flaws because there are no analyses.

It isn't science. It isn't even literature.

I don't like it.

I wish it were all about the beauty, grandeur and goodness of these United States. I wish that it were not about war, death, slavery, "my people's suffering" and all that.

Of course you aren't alone. I said so before. MOST people on the DIS really, really like it.

We don't spend a huge chunk of time in WS, but we enjoy ourselves while we're there. We do some shopping, almost always eat and/or drink. We spend very little time watching the live entertainment. We've stopped going to the movies because we've seen them many times, but we usually catch the boat rides in Mexico and Norway. I think part of the fun is just taking in the visual beauty of the park. :earsboy:

I didn't analyze anything. There are no flaws because there are no analyses.

It isn't science. It isn't even literature.

I don't like it.

I wish it were all about the beauty, grandeur and goodness of these United States. I wish that it were not about war, death, slavery, "my people's suffering" and all that.

Of course you aren't alone. I said so before. MOST people on the DIS really, really like it.

"I don't like it" is opinion. But it IS a film about the beauty, grandeur and goodness of these United States. To say that it isn't is a flawed analysis.

"I don't like it" is opinion. But it IS a film about the beauty, grandeur and goodness of these United States. To say that it isn't is a flawed analysis.
No, "I don't like it" is a fact. I don't like it.

"It sucks" would be an opinion. "I don't like it" is a fact.

I would prefer a film that was all about the beauty, grandeur and goodness of the country. Something much like China, France and Canada have. Something like Soarin'.

I would like them to have left out all the war, death, slavery, "my people's suffering," etc. It does go deeply into all of that. I don't like it.

But I don't want to argue. I'm not trying to convince you to not like it.

I don't know why you take it to heart that I don't like it. :confused:

FWIW, I don't like Fantasmic, either.

I don't know why you take it to heart that I don't like it. :confused:

As I mentioned earlier, I don't care at all whether you like it or not. But I care deeply that others who have not seen the film might get the wrong impression of what the film is about from your posts.

It would be a shame if a single person skipped out on this terrific and moving experience because they think it's a list of everything wrong with the country, when that couldn't be further from the truth.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't care at all whether you like it or not. But I care deeply that others who have not seen the film might get the wrong impression of what the film is about from your posts.

It would be a shame if a single person skipped out on this terrific and moving experience because they think it's a list of everything wrong with the country, when that couldn't be further from the truth.
If you want me to stop saying that it goes on about war, death, slavery, "my people's suffering", I will.

It does, but I'll stop if it bugs you that much.

Of course people should go see stuff and make up their own minds.

It's on You Tube for anyone who wants to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrgmubbw1N4

I wholeheartedly agree. And we don't always agree! :thumbsup2

kaligirl... I also don't care if you like the show. I care that your statements make it sound like those icky things, like slavery, war, and "people's suffering" (your quotes not mine) are unimportant. It is not a picturesque movie; it is a historical presentation.

Had you just said, I prefer majestic films rather than historical presentations; no one would have had a problem. But you didn't. You said they should have censored historical faults such as slavery, war, the suffering of Native Americans... Like that icky stuff is unimportant.

It is fine that you don't like historical presentations, but if that is the case... why didn't you just say that in the first place. :confused3

I wholeheartedly agree. And we don't always agree! :thumbsup2

kaligirl... I also don't care if you like the show. I care that your statements make it sound like those icky things, like slavery, war, and "people's suffering" (your quotes not mine) are unimportant. It is not a picturesque movie; it is a historical presentation.

Had you just said, I prefer majestic films rather than historical presentations; no one would have had a problem. But you didn't. You said they should have censored historical faults such as slavery, war, the suffering of Native Americans... Like that icky stuff is unimportant.

It is fine that you don't like historical presentations, but if that is the case... why didn't you just say that in the first place. :confused3
The quote is "my people's suffering" and it is from the movie, not from me.

I didn't say anything about censorship.

I said what I said.

Whatever you created in your mind - you deciding that I must have been thinking it was "icky" and "unimportant" does not mean that I was...and it is entirely irrelevant.

I somewhat understand this. We like WS. We have been back to it and redone some of what it has to offer, but it is not a priority for us. I feel like if we go check that out every few years that's enough. I don't see it as a necessity on every trip.

I must admit truthfully we never watched the film because we simply thought it would be rah rah rah fluff of grandeur, now hearing what the film actually shows I am very interested in watching it and seems like our 6th trip to WDW will mark the first time watching the movie. As a Canadian I think the Canadian move is 'OK' but could be heaps better. While the pavilion scenery is awesome I always expect more about our actual people, culture and history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter