• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surprised by Saving Mr. Banks...Just Got Back from the Theater....

Absolutely loved the movie. I really enjoyed the guy who drove the car. I loved to learn background info about why people of the things they do and this was great for that

Loved it so much!! I'm not familiar with Walt's mannerisms so I'll trust the other posters who said that Tom Hanks was spot-on. But the story was very compelling and not what I expected. Colin Farrell was fantastic for sure (I didn't even realize it was him)! Paul Giamatti was fabulous but he can do no wrong in my book!

I could go on and on about this movie and cannot wait to get it on DVD when it comes out. I can see myself watching it over and over. With many tissues on hand.

Saw the movie yesterday. I really enjoyed. The actors were all wonderful and did a great job. I found it a touching movie.

I did have moment of joy when they stepped into Disneyland and really enjoyed backstage at the Studios. I also now really want to go there.

I really enjoyed that they used actual photographs of the real life people at the end.

I too didn't expect much, but thoroughly enjoyed it. I agree it was more for adults - maybe 13+ -due to subject matter and interest.

I have been looking forward to this movie for months. I thought the actors did an amazing job. I was a little disappointed with how the story was portrayed though... If you've ever done any research on this situation and especially PL Travers, the story in this film is very romanticized. As a person who is a huge fan of documentaries and hearing the 'real' story, I was a little disappointed.. but not surprised that it had been 'Disneyfied'.

As far as it's appropriateness for children - I agree, it is more of an adult movie. Although there is no cursing in it at all, I think the scenes where they show the affects of alcoholism and death are heavy subjects for a young person.

Good to hear! We're excited to see it. Although my young kids really want to see it. What makes it PG13? I was surprised as I really thought it would be PG.

I saw Tom Hanks on one of the late night shows and he was talking about the rating. He said they could not show him smoking as Walt did, because that would automatically give the movie an "R" rating, which they did not want.

I don't understand how smoking gets an automatic R rating but bloody violence or nudity or saying the "F" word a bunch of times still gets a PG-13.

I took my almost 13 year old daughters with me to see Saving Mr. Banks this week. They liked it okay, but I had to do a lot of explaining: alcoholism, tuberculosis, attempted suicide. We talked a long time about why the film makers put that in. We talked about alcoholism and what it is like for the people around the alcoholic. We talked about the smoking. We talked about people.

While they would not say it was a fabulous, must see movie. They learned from it.

I LOVE it.

What I wish had been in it was something about how Robert Sherman was shot in WWII. Wasn't he part of the team that liberated Dachau? It wasn't just some petty "drama" in his life. That bothered me.

And yes, Paul Giamatti was just so warm and friendly, and ...wow. What happened to the daughter?

I think if anyone in the movie deserves an award its the actress who played P.L. as a child. The way that kid showed devotion to her dad was haunting.

My family LOVED this film (myself, DH, our 2 daughters who are 14 and 16). :thumbsup2 The little girl who played P.L. Travers was fantastic! :thumbsup2

This movie crushed me (in a good way). It was a bit intense with Goff Travers death scene since we just went through my FIL tragic death recently and it had many similar visuals. Still, amazing and touching movie.

I was so anxious to see this movie and finally did this past week - WOW, it was amazing. One of the best I've seen in a while.

I had read Nikki's review beforehand, and was thinking about it during the house scene. I didn't "get" it, but then, all of the sudden, they did a close up of Tom/Walt's face as he was talking, and I swear, it felt like they had superimposed actual video of Walt into the movie, it was that good.

On a lighter note, all I could think during the part where they visited Disneyland was "I want to visit Disneyland with Walt!"

My 10 year old enjoyed it. I'm thinking the PG13 is because of the fathers death and the scene with the mom and the water.

Our family watched which was , a 8, 12 16, 33, and 36. WE ALL LOVED IT!

Brought tears to all our eyes. Wonderful movie, I will own this one when it comes out on blue ray!

Question, How many of you guys got emotional when the limo was driving into Disneyland? I know I was!

We all enjoyed it as well, our two boys 14&12 were into it the entire time. I would recommend this movie to any Disney fan.

this is so great to hear! i wasn't particularly excited at the idea of Tom Hanks portraying Walt Disney either. i didn't get a chance to see it in theaters. i will see it when it comes to dvd/blu ray though. thanks for the small review. :)

I finally got to see the movie on Friday (I know a little late to the party...but it is hard for me to get to the movies) and I can say it didn't disappoint one bit!!! Loved every minute of it. My cousin went with me and she said at one point that she would have to watch Mary Poppins again to see the details that were being thrown in and out during the movie. I also told her about the DIS you tube video from D23 this past year with Alan Menken and Richard Sherman and how wonderful the video was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter