• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surprising the DSs & DD

tstobb

DIS Veteran
Need some ideas . . .
We just changed our ressies from POR to the Contemporary and are trying to find a way to surprise the kids (DS turning 9 on 2nd day, DS7 & DD4). We've stayed at the world too many times to count but never stayed in one of the deluxe resorts before.
Our plan is to drive to the MK & park in the lot there, suggest a Monorail ride & get off "just to check out" the Contemporary & have the camera ready when we go to stand in line at the check-in.
Any other ideas?
:bounce: :Pinkbounc :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

I like your idea! Question... Where will you park the car? Will you have to go back and get it from TTC?

After reading your post my only suggestion would be, maybe one of you could check in without the kids knowing, then when you"tour" the Contemporary you could wander over to your room and surprise them by opening it up and walking in!

Good luck! And have a BLAST!!!:p

I would like to surprise our two children ds age 8 and dd age 6 with there trip to WDW in November.

I think I could keep in a surprise until we get to the airport. We have to drive past the airport when we visit their grandparents so I was thinking that we could just say that we a go for a visit and make a wrong turn!

The only thing wrong with this plan is that I have to let the school know because they are going to miss six days, pack without them seeing summer clothes, and maybe tell a few small white fibs!

Will it be worth it? What do you Think?

:D

CountryDuck ,

TOTALLY! (I should say I haven't done it yet :rolleyes: )

Just think of the memory you'll have of their faces!!

A plus for me surpising my girls this time is that they won't be getting anxious before the trip!!! They tend to get stressed out and dificult before a big event. Just an added bonus!!!

jldriscoll- I think that is so cool! You can always contact their teachers and let them in on the fact that this is a complete surprise and not to tell the kids. You can also probably arrange to get their assignments for the week. I know they won't be doing work during the trip, but we always got our assignments so that we could review them the night before we returned to school.

Also, just a hint. I was never a good kid and whenever I suspected foul play; i.e. a surprise in the works on the part of my parents. I would search all over my parents room while they were still at work or out shopping. In preparation for the only trip they managed to keep a surprise, they had to pack suitcases with our things and bring them to work with them in the trunks of their cars so we wouldn't find out.

Good luck- I think the looks on your children's faces will be priceless; they will surely know they have the best parents ever! Enjoy!!

Opps! I meant to address my last reply to Countryduck. My apologies for the confusion!!

My DH thinks that I won't be able to keep it a surprise. I really want too just for the look on their faces when they realize they are going on a big trip!
I'm hoping it won't go down hill from there. We start our fight early in am and have two stop overs before we get to Florida. We coun't get a flight into Orlando so we arrive in Miami late in PM. We will stay over in Miami that night and drive to WDW in early am.
Now do you think we are crazy? :)
I am hoping they will be so surprized that they will not realize how long a trip it is!

Still don't think you're crazy!!! It will be a long trip either way. If you can hold out telling, you've earned the memory :)

Just don't underestimate your children's sense of perception. They will notice something is up. You need to be as sneaky as you can possibly be. You must conceal the luggage and whatnot because they will go looking if they think something is in the works. I think it will be a great surprise!

Could let them know you're going on a trip.....just not were!!!

I think a little fib may be in order here....;)

tstobb

Why don't you just suggest that while you are in the neighhood that you see if they have any rooms available. You could maybe send your DS to check it out. It would be a big surprise to see that they did have one available in you name!
Good luck!
Just think about the memories our children are going to have.

Besides bnot knowing that our cjhildren are going to WDW, I am hoping that I can hold out telling them that they are not going to stay at the Poly for the whole trip. We are going to stay at AKL for the last half. I haven't figured out how to tell them about the switch! I think they will be thrilled with another new andventure!

countruduck- I just read the countdown below your name and it is exactly the same as mine, give or take an hour or two. I hope your surprise goes well. My DD is too young right now but I WILL do this someday!

SamanthaL

I see that you have divided your trip up by staying at different resorts. Do you have any tips in changing resorts mid trip?
I had booked for CBR but, it was just not our time! I decided on POLY and AKL.

I am keeping my fingers crossed for nice weather! Have a great trip in November!

Countryduck- This trip we will be staying put at the BCV, but in the past we have switched many times. I find it very easy to do, but only do it if the trip is at least a 7 night stay.
Will you have a car?
Just call bell services on the morning you check out at the Poly. They will bring your bags down for you. If you have express check out you won't need to go to the front desk at all before leaving.
If you have a car just have them load the car for you, if not let them know what resort you are switching to and they will transfer them for you.
I would recommend that you go right over to the AKL to check in. This way you may have a better shot of getting any room requests you made. Maybe this can be the day you visit AK park. It take 60 seconds to get there once you get on the bus.
Just some thoughts and I have never really worried about the weather and it has always turned out great! Let's knock on wood the trend continues!;)

SamanthaL
We will be there 8 nights. 4 at POLY and 4 at AKL, unless that is not a good idea?
We will have a car so I was thinking that I might be able to arrange it so that we drive over early in am and try to check in and then come back to POLY and packup. What do you think?
Can I fax in requests a few days before we arrive at both resorts?

Do you know anything about checking in at AKL? I was just wondering if you can drive up to where you check in?

CountryDuck- 4 nights at each should be fine. I just don't like to stay 2 or 3 nights then switch. It doesn't seem enough time at each place, but others amy think differently.
You could go to the AKL then back to the Poly. I would probably just check out and go over to the AKL as a family unless your family takes along time to get ready ( any teens going?:rolleyes: ). Then you would have the rest of your day to yourself. If some members of your party are slow to get up, I would have one adult drive over and check in then come back, but it does use a lot of time you could be in the park.
You can either fax your requests a few days before or call CRO and have them added to your reservation.
You can drive up to the front area of the hotel. The staff will get your bags out of the car and bring them inside for you and then you can have thme park your car or do it yourself.

Good Luck with your surprise :)

I hope I can keep my mouth shut too.

We came back from our first trip to WDW this past June.
My DH loved the Dolphin so much and we now have AP
tickets - we are planning a return trip April (Easter) 2003.

So far we have our ressies at the Dolphin :teeth:
for Holy Thursday thru the following Saturday.

We can not get our plane tickets on S/W until November -
six months before.

Our DS and DD do not know about the trip back to WDW.

We have talked about visiting Grandma & Grandpa
in Lake George for Easter (and my DS birthday - he received
bunnies when he was born - not teddy bears !).
We fly out of Albany - just south of Lake George.

So - we could pack our luggage for the Grandparents
- but really WDW and put our kids in the car in the
wee hours of the morning - just like going to
the Grandparents. Just go to the airport instead.

They would wake up at Albany airport.
Then we would have to tell them where we are going.

-or -
should I just tell them a few days before so they
do not get too surprised - just excited :cool: .

I would love to hear how your children reacted to the
surprise news of going to WDW.

Good luck to everyone with their well kept secrets ;)

Thanks for all of the ideas:p !

They all know that we're going for 2 days at WDW & then the 7 day Magic but think we're staying at the ASM as usual! They also don't know that we booked an extra night at the end of the cruise before heading home - that one's easier -"Why don't we stop for lunch?";) !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter