• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Surprising the kids, how/when if to tell them...

Every kid is different so only you know what may work with yours. My kids have no idea about our November trip. This November trip will be their third one and in fact they said that they want to be surprised. They do know about our August 2016 trip but they don't know about a possible side trip to Universal. So exciting!

Our kids are used to travelling alot, and are pretty open to new experiences, so our last Disney surprise was excellent. We gave them a Mickey invitation/boarding pass for dcl cruise. The 7 year old had to read it to 5 yo, then they both screamed at top og their lungs. Priceless video.

If your kids are this type, then go for the surprise.

For those using countdown chains or calendars for younger kids, I suggest making two. Since younglings have a poor understanding of time, having a second chain or calendar for when you're on the trip can make the trip go more smoothly. It helps them know how much longer they'll be living in this foreign environment, and that they will get to go back home when the chain runs out.

We are surprising our kids with our trip in October. Since we were already there in January, they won't even know what will hit them, but the funniest thing about keeping it being a secret is that I really am not keeping it a secret at all. For instance, I will be sitting on my couch with one of my girls sitting right next to me, as I am on my laptop, checking for BOG and other restaurant availability while they are watching t.v. It doesn't faze them because I am always helping people with ADRs so they just think I am helping someone else. Also, we are planning a huge trip next June, so anytime a family member says something about "when you go to Disney", the girls think they are talking about next year's trip, not our October trip :rotfl:. Our plan for telling them is to wait until the day of and because our flight is at 6:05am, they will think we are getting them up for school (but much earlier then normal), but instead I will say something like "you know what would be fun, if we were to just go to Disney instead of school" (this is something I joke with them all the time), then DH will say something like "you want to go????", of course the kids won't believe us, until we get out our suitcases. I just hope all goes to plan :goodvibes.

This is definitely a personal preference thing.

However, I have heard far more comments about last minute surprises not being what the PARENTS were hoping for after seeing their kids response. Kids need a chance to process what's going to happen. Unless they have been there before, and know exactly what WDW is, springing a WDW trip on a kid can be confusing for them.

We did a scavenger hunt for clues (which were each a letter) that when combined spelled something like "We're going to Disney World this year!!!" Kids loved it, and had time to help with the planning, and research what they were going to experience. It built up the suspense and excitement. We did it roughly two months prior to the trip, and then did the countdown chain. FUN.

Dan

I have surprised my older son when he was 7 and last year when he was 10. Surprises work best for him as anticipation nearly KILLS him so if he knows in advance he asks me annoying repeat questions daily about when the trip is and when we're leaving!! First time we gave him a custom shirt that said "I left my twin siblings with Grandma and I'm going to Disney World!". He didn't believe us until we arrived at the airport, it was awesome. Second time, I picked him up early at school and gave him an I'm Celebrating button I bought off eBay and instead of his name it said "Surprise! You're going to WDW!" Our next trip will be the first for our twins, so everyone knows about it. But what they don't know is that Grandma & Grandpa will be meeting us down there for the first 3 days of the trip. That should be fun to shock them with!!

One year for Christmas my parents had my brothers and I put together a puzzle. Once we put it together it said "Surprise! We're going to Walt Disney World on *insert date*" It was the best surprise EVER!

HELP!!!
Our kids are 3-11 years old there 1 girl and 4 boys first time to Disney. We are going to surprise them but don't know how(love that Rapunzel one but I don't think that will catch the boys that much) We have an idea of how but don't know if we should do 2-a week before or hours before we leave.

Option A(Announcing them week(s) before)
Pros:They can share the excitement, they will start planning what rides they want to do and everything, they can let it sink in
Cons:Asking are we leaving? Can we go now?, kids won't sleep the night before

Option B(Hours before we leave)
Pros:No asking for week(s) are we leaving?Can we go now?, planning the timing so that they can still help pack and pack what they want, the timing will not get in with nap times, the kids will sleep the night before(okay this one is the one that is kinda pushing me to B)!
Cons:It comes on so fast like we leave later that day
---------------
What do you think?

Here's my fears on surprising kids...you know your kids better then anyone. Do they LIKE surprises? Did you tell them they are going someplace else instead and are psyched about the other trip and will be very disappointed when they are told no. you are not going to grandma's! (Who they love to visit and miss...) We lied to you!!

Will they be upset and unhappy?

a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...I was just turning 21 and my boyfriend told me we were going to Hershey park for my birthday. I slept over his parent's house (usually forbidden!) and the morning of the trip, they never woke me up early in the day to leave. I woke up at 10, and they told me.. "Oh we decided not to go...you looked so peaceful sleeping, we did not want to wake you." I was angry and annoyed...my boyfriend tried to placate me by taking me to the mall on a shopping spree... (see, my boyfriend at the time had a habit of making plans with me and then cancelling saying he did not feel like driving or like going out, typically after I had spent money or traveled to see him and it angered me on a regular basis...)

After about 4 hours moping around a really amazing mall....too unhappy to shop, I RACED home, crying and upset...to my parent's house...

...for my surprise 21st birthday party. Surprise!

You are not going to Hershey park, that was a lie we told you to get you out of the house so we could decorate and invite all friends and family to the house.

The party was awesome, I got to see all my friends and extended family and I got lots of great gifts but the surprise portion of it was not what I call ideal. ...And we never went to Hershey Park.

The point I'm trying to make is...know your audience. :P

We've done surprises the morning of (we're going to get on the plane!) twice, and both times ended in tears. Now instead we make a countdown chart (usually starting around 20), and the kids LOVE to cross out the days and exclaim how close it's getting and talk about what we're going to do.
This happened to us too. They must have been about 8 and 6. We woke them up in the morning and told them we were going to Disneyworld. They cried the whole way to the airport. :confused3

I am not a fan of surprises, particularly not for first time trips. I am taking 13 and 10 year old girls. We told them about six months ahead. They have multiple Disney trips under their belt. We have spent countless hours planning our trip, and it's been a ton of fun! They helped pick our restaurants, our FPs, and have made packing lists. I think the sweet spot is telling them 2-3 months in advance.

We told the kids I had to drop off a package right to the airport and hid the luggage under a blanket in the back. Off we went keeping the kids talking about various favorite topics to keep them from getting too wise. Got to the airport still blabbing away about something and we had numbered envelopes that alternated to each kid with a pic of the hotel, hotel pool, an airplane, and had clues that ended with we're going to Disney world! It worked wonderfully they were so happy and surprised. The video we got of it was a classic. The oldest had an idea or two of what was going on after some envelopes but he wasn't positive right until the end so the suspense stayed right to the last envelope. Best surprise ever they said.

I am not a fan of surprises, particularly not for first time trips. I am taking 13 and 10 year old girls. We told them about six months ahead. They have multiple Disney trips under their belt. We have spent countless hours planning our trip, and it's been a ton of fun! They helped pick our restaurants, our FPs, and have made packing lists. I think the sweet spot is telling them 2-3 months in advance.
This is exactly why I would not surprise kids who are older than about 7 years old. The kids have tons of fun planning the trip. :)

The biggest failures are often when the kids were told they were going somewhere else and then at the last minute, maybe even at the airport, they were told they were going to Disney instead. Some kids get angry because they had been expecting and maybe even looking forward to the other trip.

Family if four headed to Disney for a week u. December. Flying into Tampa to stay with parents 3 days prior. Our plan is to not tell the children until the day of, just drive right up to gm the gates and say!"you guys wanna stay here for a week??!"

I'm having second thoughts though. I kinda want them to be excited and liking forward to the trip.

This is probably the only time we will be able to go so we want it to be as special as possible.

We welcome all suggestions!! This board is great.!

This:

Will make you cry

However, I have heard far more comments about last minute surprises not being what the PARENTS were hoping for after seeing their kids response.

The first time we did a surprise, I didn't get the Disney commercial I was hoping for, but I got something better. Our youngest son ran back downstairs after running up to tell his brother and sister, on camera, and said, "I just found out that Will has diarrhea...but he can still go." :)

The first time we did a surprise, I didn't get the Disney commercial I was hoping for, but I got something better. Our youngest son ran back downstairs after running up to tell his brother and sister, on camera, and said, "I just found out that Will has diarrhea...but he can still go." :)

Dang, that's hilarious!!!!

Dan

Family if four headed to Disney for a week u. December. Flying into Tampa to stay with parents 3 days prior. Our plan is to not tell the children until the day of, just drive right up to gm the gates and say!"you guys wanna stay here for a week??!"

I'm having second thoughts though. I kinda want them to be excited and liking forward to the trip.

This is probably the only time we will be able to go so we want it to be as special as possible.

We welcome all suggestions!! This board is great.!

We didn't tell our then 3.5 year old about our last trip. (12/14) We took an early morning flight, so we woke her up super early, and told her we were going on a trip. She kept asking where we were going- it didn't even click on the magical express bus bc she couldn't hear the video. She had been to Disney twice before, but not on magical express, and she started to catch on when we saw Spaceship Earth from the road. She kept asking "How is it possible that we are seeing the big ball???". Then we dropped off WL guests, and she remembered staying there 9 months prior. She asked where are we??? I replied "where do you think we are!??" And she said "Disney World?" We told her yes, we're at Disney World. It took a minute for her to process, and then she started screaming and jumping up and down. The entire bus was laughing. Well, I was crying bc she was so happy and her reaction was everything we hoped.

Sorry for the long post..... That's our story and I can tell you- not telling her was worth it. We got the whole thing on video, and it's a moment we will never forget. She still talks about that night "when you woke me up in the middle of the night and ended up at Disney world".

Another thing- we are going back in October and I'm not sure we can pull
Off another surprise. But we won't tell her until right up until we leave. You never know what could happen- illness, husbands crazy job, and if we ended up having to cancel or move the trip- hello devastated preschooler.

Last edited:
One year for Christmas my parents had my brothers and I put together a puzzle. Once we put it together it said "Surprise! We're going to Walt Disney World on *insert date*" It was the best surprise EVER!
My parents did something sort of like that for me and my little brother for one of our trips to WDW except they did it through a scavenger hunt where we had to find clues all over the house and throughout the yard. It was tons of fun and the final result of it saying we were going to Disney World was so exciting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter