SW...Book, Cancel, Rebook Question

momabaarjo

Rather Sail Away with Mickey than Run Now
I have a question...last fall I had booked SW for our trip to WDW over Christmas and lower fares came out so I canceled the orginial flight and rebooked, which gave me almost a $100 credit for each of us. Those credits will expire in September...there is not time, no place, or money to go somewhere this summer with that credit...I am also pretty sure that SW will not have travel bookings opened for July 2013 at that time. Do you think it is possible to book a flight with the credit (and pay the difference) for a flight that does have a schedule out at the time and as that flight approaches cancel it...and then rebook a flight for July 2013 and still retain the credit I had in September?

I have dh agreeing to a Disney Cruise as long as I stay in budget...and this $500 airfare credit with the family would help me out a lot!

The credit expires on the anniversary of the date you bought the ticket... and it's not your book by date, it's your fly by date. So if you originally bought the ticket on Sept 1, you must travel by Sept 1. Does that help explain things to you? Just cancelling and getting a refund of the funds won't work because those funds will disappear on Sept 1 if you haven't flown by then.

Thanks...makes total sense...darn I was hoping they were just use by date, not fly by date!

You might want to call SW I think there might be a way to extend the credit or "buy it back" for a fee. I don't know if that is Rapid Rewards or credits.

Thanks...I will do that! I hate giving almsot $500 back to SW but it was money spent already, was nice to find a lower fare!

I have almost 350.00 in credits that expire the 1st of June - I contacted Southwest about what would happen to these credits if I couldn't take a trip by then and here was their answer:

As you know, Southwest Airlines travel funds are valid for travel that is completed within 12 months from the initial purchase date of the travel itinerary. In an effort to notify our Customers of the validity of their funds, the expiration date is printed on each itinerary mailed or faxed to our Customers. Should a Customer not travel as planned, the Customer is provided access to his/her travel funds for 12 months from the original purchase date. As with most companies, we must maintain control over outstanding liabilities; therefore, all tickets must be assigned expiration periods, following which our liability terminates.

We are unable to reissue unused travel funds until they expire. Since reissuing unused funds is an exception to our ticketing policy, it is necessary for travel funds to be available for a Customer to use until the expiration date listed on the Customer's itinerary and receipt (as outlined in our fare rules and per our Contract of Carriage--travel must be completed within the ticket's eligibility period). We make provisions for the reissue of expired funds on a case-by-case basis; however, a $50 assessment per ticket applies.

If you are unable to complete travel by the expiration date, please call Customer Relations at (214) 932-0333 during business hours (7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Central Time, Monday through Friday) for assistance after your funds have expired.

a $50 assessment per ticket applies.

I heard they raised this fee to $75. So, the OP is going to end up with $125. Almost makes you want to fly anywhere rather than give back $500!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter