SW flight change/availability issue

Herding_Cats

DIS Veteran
Flying SW during spring break. Our return flight had a schedule change, which was super convenient, because we would actually like to fly home the day before. But I'm seeing a discrepancy between what SW's booking is show available and what the RE-book tool shows as available. We booked on miles.

I'll try to make this as un-confusing of an explanation as possible.
Current flight is for Monday, early morning. We would like to change it to Sunday morning.
Current flights that show available as the same fare-level for Sunday are at 5:20am and 7:20am. All other flights that day are "Anytime" or Business.

However, when I go on the /rebook part of the website, and select the affected flight, it is showing that ALL of the flights for that day are available. And there's no mention of any upcharge due to the difference in fare-level. And I'm hesitant to click all the way through and surprise, you now owe us the difference in the fares because I got a heckofa good deal on these flights.

I either need some reassurance that we aren't going to be on the hook for something (which we shouldn't, since it's a change due to a schedule change on their end.) We just dealt with Thrifty "forcing" my husband to buy insurance for a rental car that was more than we paid for the rental, and I can't handle any more travel company surprises this week.

SWA has been good in the past with letting us reschedule at the same amount of points when they cancel. I check our flights every time there is a sale and just don't click all the way through. I was able to save 5000 points (2 OW tickets) last week. I checked the return (I made separate reservations) and it was more so just stopped and closed the window. If you are unsure about accidentally clicking through, why not call? Good luck!

When your flight is changed by more than a certain threshold of time, you are allowed to change to "any available flight" regardless of fare class. There's no additional charge.

When your flight is changed by more than a certain threshold of time, you are allowed to change to "any available flight" regardless of fare class. There's no additional charge.
it was only changed like 5 minutes. I'm definitely just using the rule to my advantage here.

it was only changed like 5 minutes. I'm definitely just using the rule to my advantage here.
It's a SW technology limitation. They can't just make it only changes more than X amount of time. Their solution is to just allow any changes for any schedule change. It may change eventually, but it probably won't be for years.

However, when I go on the /rebook part of the website, and select the affected flight, it is showing that ALL of the flights for that day are available. And there's no mention of any upcharge due to the difference in fare-level. And I'm hesitant to click all the way through and surprise, you now owe us the difference in the fares because I got a heckofa good deal on these flights.
You are fine to make the change online. If you are nervous, just call them to process. Don’t have to wait on hold if it’s busy, option to be called back when it’s your turn to speak to an agent.

have happily jumped flights many times with this “gift” :). received the email earlier this week & switched flight down (for april race) from a horrid 5 am flight to one the day prior that cost 4 X more.

Interestingly, did notice it referenced ability to change the flight up to twice

never noticed that in the past.

I got this gift recently as well. Is there a time limit I have to make my decision by? I looked and couldn't find anything in the terms and conditions.

Is there a time limit I have to make my decision by?
I thought there used to be, but I don't see it mentioned anymore. I had one flight change over 2 months ago. I switched it once on 11/4, and it still gives the option to change again for free.

I either need some reassurance that we aren't going to be on the hook for something (which we shouldn't, since it's a change due to a schedule change on their end.) We just dealt with Thrifty "forcing" my husband to buy insurance for a rental car that was more than we paid for the rental, and I can't handle any more travel company surprises this week.
Hi, @Herding_Cats I just went through this. I emailed Thrifty to complain (agent said it's FL law that we have to carry $200K in liability insurance or take theirs- this is NOT true). I emailed customer relations at Thrifty AND Hertz and got a reply (from executivecustomerservice@hertz.com) stating that although I'd signed and accepted the charge (like I had a choice?), as a "one-time goodwill and possible misunderstanding" they were going to refund the cost of the insurance. I just checked, and the refund has posted on my credit card. I contacted Thrifty, Hertz, and CarRentalSavers (through which I made the reservation) and made a lot of noise. I was PEEEEEEVED that Thrifty outright lied to my face and forced me into this position. Interestingly, CRS thanked me for contacting them and said if I couldn't get my money back from Thrifty, they'd refund me the difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter