Swan and Grand Floridan Resort Studio split stay with MNSS, Jiko, Victoria & Alberts, Food and Wine and more

Salf777

Mouseketeer
So just returned from a 9 night stay at Disney World. First 3 nights were at the Swan. It was an add on because we decided we wanted more than the 6 nights we had at the Grand Floridan new resort studios. So when we decided to add the 3 extra nights the Swan was far cheaper since it’s also Food & Wine. So we drive and between the resort fee and parking it adds about an extra $100 to the cost per night. The Swan is a perfectly nice hotel. Put it anywhere else and I would say it’s a very good hotel but in my opinion it’s just not a Disney hotel. We paid extra for a balcony theme park view room. Balcony is small and the view was of the side of the Boardwalk hotel. Boat service to HS and Epcot and the walk to Epcot make this hotel a steal for the price. What I didn’t like was the bus service to the Magic Kingdom takes you to the ticket and transportation center then it’s boat or monorail to the park. The bus to Animal Kingdom drops you off in a different place than Disney buses but not to far like going to Magic Kingdom. We are resort as well as park people so we like a more Disney experience but we had 6 other nights at the Grand so it was ok. I will say it seemed every time we walked to the bus stop a bus pulled up. For the value the Swan is very good hotel and proximity to Epcot when comparing prices to Beach & Yacht or Boardwalk it’s a great value, if a resort is not your main concern and your a park person. Restaurants are plentiful and very good we however did not care for the coffee place in the Swan.
we did Mickeys Not So Scary our second night at the Swan and had dinner at Grand Floridan Cafe. We drive there and valet parked the car. Prior to parking we asked the valet if we can leave the car there, eat and go to the party and come back. The answer was a resounding YES for those who discuss this. They said someone is there 24/7 and as long as paying for valet it’s totally allowed. He did say self parking, eating and going to the party is “frowned upon” but they really wouldn’t know. For us 2 couples the $40 was worth paying to park with tip so after the party it’s easy back to the Grand and drive back to the Swan. Worth the $20 out of my pocket in my opinion.
Mickeys not so scary was a bit of a disappointment to us. It rained so the parades were canceled and it seemed very crowded. We went to the Boo party last year which we realize wasn’t a full party but it was far less crowded and they gave the included ice cream, pop corn, and drinks. Maybe the rain was a big damper for this night but it seemed underwhelming and crowded for an after hours party. Again I’m sure the rain had a lot to do with it
Over to the Grand in a resort Studio and we loved it. It was just me and my wife so we don’t need the big kitchenette area. Kureig machine and microwave are perfect and we request a toaster and we’re good. So much space and a HUGE dresser, bathroom is great. Television can cast your Disney + to and Netflix whatever you want (finally Disney). Loads and load of USB and USB-C all over did not need to bring the extra bricks and extension cords we usually bring. Building location is better in my opinion than main DVC building as far as closeness to the rest of the resort however when you want to get to your car in the DVC lot it’s a walk.
we ate at Skipper Canteen in Magic Kingdom so good we went back a second time. In my opinion best food in a theme park.
Baseline Taphouse for a pretzel and charcuterie board a good lunch for 4 people
Via Napoli always good to split a pizza
Food and Wine food very good this year!
went to Jiko for the first time. We wanted to eat early so they sat us at the pizza and salad bar. Best thing talked with the guys cooking and since it was my birthday I got samples of everything from them so nice!
The chef came out since my wife has a salt intolerance and they made her an amazing salad and fish with mushrooms and vegetables and full of flavor. I had the short rib (amazing and huge portion). The chef sent me out a sample of the Mac and cheese and it’s as good as they say. Service was impeccable. It’s a new favorite and will be a go to every time.
So now the big one Victoria & Alberts. Service is a show and amazing. Food was fabulous and they made an incredible menu for my wife With her intolerance. She had the wine paring and I had Diet Coke. Not only was the food incredible it was a work of art. The whole experience was beautiful that’s the only word for it. Even the coffee is a marvel to watch them make. I’m glad we did it. Would I do it again, probably not. first off it’s a 3 hour experience! I dont like sitting that long for a meal. Secondly is the cost. I understand it’s an experience and It was an excellent one, however for that cost I could have had dinner at Jiko 4 times and bought myself an animal kingdom sweatshirt. Am I glad I did it yes would I do it again, probably not.

we found the cast members exceptional although we did experience one extremely rude one but i Am not surprised at having one bad apple. The rest of the cast went so far out of their way one bad cast member didn’t spoil it.

Yes Disney is definitely more expensive but I’m glad I’m DVC no hotel bill at the end. However everything is. I use coffee mate in my coffee at home and a carton at my supermarket used to be $3 and now it’s $4.89 over a 50% increase. For me it comes down to making a choice there are some things I want but I do without at the parks. For me it’s still magic and after 9 nights I didn’t want to leave. I also found it nice to see the foreign people working in their respective countries. They are so happy to be back and just love speaking with them. All the little things seem back, band playing British Invasion rock at the bandstand in England, characters all over the parks hugging and signing autographs. All the things that make Disney that special place seem back

We didn’t bother with Genie Plus or lightning lanes. Between extra hours for deluxe resorts and Mickeys not so scary we got on everything we wanted. The one o’clock Guardians virtual que drop was an easy get.

a few last takeaways

1. If you can go to Magic Kingdom the day of a Halloween party. Park closes at 6 so no one goes because it’s a short day
2. If your staying in Grand Floridan resort studio bring slippers the wood floors are beautiful but not very comfortable if you spend a lot of time in the room.
3. The one thing Disney has done that annoys me is make us so dependent on our phones. Stop and enjoy. I can’t tell you how many people we saw on rides trying to video and take pictures of themselves that they missed the whole experience.
4. We did Cirque du Soleil and sadly I would say take that money and have a nice dinner or spoil yourself with a special souvenir. they Had a problem and couldn’t do the final scene. and we are big Cirque fans so it pains me to say this.
5. Disney restaurants even quick serve will go out of their way to accommodate any allergy or intolerance. At Gasparillas at the Grand they actually grilled my wife a fresh piece of chicken with no salt and that’s a quick serve.

in closing these are my opinions I offer and not right or wrong so please don’t attack my opinions if you don’t agree that’s fine I respect your opinions as well. Listen Disney has done a lot wrong in the past few years but don’t go to the parks looking for things wrong. Enjoy it and don’t let all the negativity around lately skew your mindset before you even get there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter