• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swan or Dolphin and Transportation

disneygirl 17

Mouseketeer
I am making plans to head to the World in October. We are looking at staying the Swan or the Dolphin. I researched the difference online....but still can't decide which one to stay at.

So what do you prefer the Swan or the Dolphin and why?

Also how did you get to and from the airport? How much did that transportation cost? I will have my duaghter with and she will need a car seat as well? An advice on that too.
Thanks

I stayed at both on separate trips last year and I thought they were both great! My preference is for the Dolphin, mostly because of the dining options. The Swan has some great full-service restaurants, but I found that I was always heading over to the Dolphin for Picabu (24-hour counter service), the Fountain (sit down or carry-out grill and ice cream), and the Fresh Mediterranean Market (casual sit down restaurant). Of course, the two hotels are super close so walking over isn't too big of a deal...except when you are visiting during a freak cold spell and it is 30 degrees and rainy! The Dolphin lobby is bigger and a bit more bustling, and I kind of liked that atmosphere as well.

I used Mears transportation from the airport...I believe it was $35 rountrip for an airport shuttle type van. Not sure how it works with car seats...but I am sure someone else can jump in. I know Mears doesn't always have the best reputation, but my experience with the airport transfer was fine on both visits.

Enjoy your visit -- the Swan and the Dolphin are great hotels, you'll love them!

I stayed at the Dolphin after PCC 1.0 and loved the resort. While I haven't stayed at the Swan I think I would like it better only because it is not the convention hotel and seemed a bit quieter. I have no problem walking from one to the other and see them almost as one since they are so close so the dinning presented by the PP wouldn't phase me.

I got to the resort from the port so that won't help you but when we left we got a cab. It ran us about $40 total plus tip total for the 3 of us. I know there is a lot of talk about the terrible taxis in Orlando but we had a good experience. We called the day before and the taxi was on time. The driver was very nice and talkative (he was from Tunisia) and we talked the whole time about moving to a new continent and everything. I'm sure he knew that it makes for a better tip to get to know the passengers, and it worked, but it was nice to have someone who was interactive as opposed to just sitting there quite.

I stayed at The Dolphin last year and agree about the restaurants. Picabu was great.

I used a town car service to get to and from the airport. It was $110 round trip plus tip. Which, if you have more than 3 people, is cheaper than Mears, plus you get a free grocery stop that I used to get bottled water and snacks. I've used Mears, it was years ago, but the town car service was SO much better. You don't wait for anyone else or stop at any other hotels, it's your own car and driver. From the time my bags came off the carousel, to the time I got to the hotel, even with the grocery stop, was 40 minutes.

I prefer the Swan as it's smaller and somewhat quieter. It's a short walk over to the Dolphin to use their facilities.

Wow $110 - yikes wasn't expecting it to cost so much.
Does anyone know anything about using a car seat for this transportation?

I am also looking to stay at the Swan or Dolphin on our next trip. I want to be close to Epcot and this seems like a good option.

Is the pool closer to one or the other? Or is it pretty central to both Swan and Dolphin? And does one have an easier path to Epcot than the other?

If I am not mistaken doesn't the Swan have queen beds standard and the Dolphin have full size? This makes a HUGE difference for us since my DH is 6'3".

Wow $110 - yikes wasn't expecting it to cost so much.

Town car services will provide a car seat. Just let them know in advance. The one I use does not charge for a car seat, but I think I have heard that some do.

My last trip I traveled solo, but I still used a town car service. It's just worth it to me for the grocery stop and speed of getting to and from the resort. I don't know how many people you will be traveling with, but Mears is $35 per person, so three people would be $105 anyway, for 4 people $140. :confused3

We much prefer The Dolphin. Everything is on a larger, more whimsical scale. Just walking into the lobby/atrium fro the first time is a treat. The fountain in the center, the towering lobby, the colorful banners and unique architecture... There's a real feeling of "we're on vacation" right from the start...

By contrast, IMO, The Swan is a much more "buttoned-down" affair. The lobby is no nonsense, you could be at any business hotel anywhere. The colors are drab, the mood serious and hushed, and even the gift shop seems like something one would see at an airport. Now, that appeals to some people's sensibilities...just not ours. Not at Disney, anyway.

As for the pool, The Dolphin is the clear winner. It has a waterfall, a separate hot tub, a playground and even a "beach" right on the water. The Swan's ? Umm, it's a rectangle.

But, keep in mind the two resorts are a very easy walk away from one another, on a protected pathway, and Swan guests are welcomed to use The Dolphin's pool. I'm sure many of them do....

I prefer the Swan for the following reasons:

- the bathroom has a sink inside and outside
- the hotel is closer to the Boardwalk (for walking to Epcot and the Studios)
- the buses to AK and MK stop at the Swan before the Dolphin
- the hotel is smaller and easier to get around

The Grotto pool isn't the Dolphin's pool! It's a bit closer to the Dolphin, but it is the main pool in between both resorts. Both also have a lap pool. (http://www.swandolphin.com/activities/pools.html) The Dolphin does have a very cool lobby, but I don't sleep in the lobby! I generally don't eat at the Swan/Dolphin. When I do - I like Fresh for the breakfast buffet and the Fountain for ice cream.

To get to the Swan, I either rent a car from National or Alamo for drop-off at the Dolphin, or take Mears shuttle.

The Dolphin is usually a little bit less expensive than the Swan. I don't know if that would be a factor for you...

I like the Dolphin as a hotel a little better, but if there's a corporate event going on, the Dolphin also has much larger convention facilities, so its considerably busier. The Swan is also used as a convention hotel, but on a smaller scale (often to provide additional meeting/conference rooms for conventions too large for just the Dolphin). Also, the walk to Boardwalk and Epcot are a little closer for the Swan.

I stayed at the Swan and it was great. It's smaller and more intimate than the Dolphin, and it's a quick walk over to Picabu if you want a quick bite for breakfast. If there's a big convention going on, the Dolphin can be a bit overwhelming.

That being said, I think the views may be better at the Dolphin. I remember asking at the front desk about Epcot views, and they said they're only available at the Dolphin. So if views are a big draw for you I would keep that in mind.

We rented a car and the one downside to staying at the Swan or Dolphin is that both hotels charge for parking. This isn't the case at hotels owned by Disney.

Overall, I don't think you can go wrong with either one. They're both fantastic properties. Your children will also love the boat that takes you to Epcot or the Studios. That's an attraction in itself.

The Swan does have queen beds and the Dolphin has doubles. The dolphin in undergoing little rehab right now, but nothing to get in your way. For October the Dolphin is alittle less expensive.

Town car services will provide a car seat. Just let them know in advance. The one I use does not charge for a car seat, but I think I have heard that some do.

We've strictly used FL Tours - so I can only answer for them.

They do include a booster seat (not a car seat) in all towncars free of charge.

If you're interested in renting a car - most companies at MCO will have a carseat you can rent either by the day (usually around $10) or for length of rental (usually around $50). But beware....they don't usually offer to install it for you. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter