• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Swapping Garden Grill for....

hollannc

Me, DH, and three littles
We have Garden Grill scheduled for our lunch at Epcot. I haven't been able to get Akershus. With the poor reviews of GG, I'm thinking of dropping that for something else. Suggestions?
My kids are 12,8 and 6. Very picky eaters most of the time!
Looking for a fun lunch with something traditional for the kiddos.
Does Biergarten have the band at lunch? That might work and they can eat mac and cheese?

Pretty much everywhere at Epcot will have some poor reviews. I think you have to take most of them with a grain of salt. There are people on DIS who have said they would rather eat sawdust than ever go to Biergarten again. Meanwhile, there are people who adore it.

I agree with the previous poster. I have read both glowing and horrible reviews about every restaurant in the parks here. Often the posts are even in the same thread. If you like the food choices and think your kids would enjoy GG I would stick with it and try it.

I thought the food at GG was excellent! We had dinner there last November...I agree with PP. You need to experience most restaurants yourself to see what you and your family enjoy. Restaurant critiques on these boards go from one extreme to the other.

I love both Garden Grill and Biergarten. Go with which one appeals to you more. There isn't a single Disney restaurant that has the approval of every person.

I enjoyed the food & character interactions at GG twice so far & am looking forward to returning again! I have one experience with Biergarten & would not go back or recommend it. I definitely enjoyed the entertainment & atmosphere but not the food (when compared to the German restaurant near my house). To each their own, though. I agree with PP's to take others' opinions & reviews with a grain of salt & if you're interested in a menu or an experience, try it once for yourself to see if it's to your taste or not.

I would not recommend Biergarten to picky eaters, because the mac & cheese there is NOT standard mac & cheese. I am a picky eater and only ate the pretzel rolls and 1 other thing when we went to Biergarten this summer. The band is fun but the price is not worth it with picky eaters. Garden Grill has food that is more "homestyle" and traditional that picky eaters would be more used to and might enjoy more. We've always had the best character interaction at Garden Grill, but if characters are not that big of a deal I wouldn't factor that into your decision making.

I love GG.....have been several times and going again in January.

I am a picky eater and do fine at Biergarten

Another vote to keep Garden Grill. It's our pickiest eater's favorite Disney restaurant (along with Liberty Tree Tavern.) Biergarten is very fun, and the band is there for lunch, but it's a tough one for picky eaters. Same for Akershus. For our picky eater, Garden Grill offers plain rolls, relatively plain meat, mashed potatoes that he loves and mac and cheese that is about as plain as you can get. :) Not his most nutritious meal ever, but he loves it! For the rest of us, the salad is super fresh and delicious - made from produce in the Land ride (we did the Behind the Seeds tour earlier this year - fun to see all the items they use at Garden Grill!) I also enjoy the mashed potatoes, the veggies and the meat, but the salad and bread are so good that it's tough to have any room left for the rest!

We love Garden Grill and it always worked for my picky eater

We have Garden Grill scheduled for our lunch at Epcot. I haven't been able to get Akershus. With the poor reviews of GG, I'm thinking of dropping that for something else. Suggestions?
My kids are 12,8 and 6. Very picky eaters most of the time!
Looking for a fun lunch with something traditional for the kiddos.
Does Biergarten have the band at lunch? That might work and they can eat mac and cheese?
There is NOTHING traditional at Biergarten. My kids walked out without eating ANYTHING. Let me tell you too, the mac n cheese everyone speaks of...not traditional Mac me cheese. The "hot dogs", nope, not if you have picky kids like mine. I asked and they had nothing to bring out as an alternative. I'm sure this is a great place if you don't have picky kids, but if you do, avoid it.

We had a great garden grill experience. My son isn't picky, but he loves Mac and cheese. He was very happy with his garden grill food.

GG is one of my family's favorites!
i would not cancel it.
the food is good in my opinion.and thats coming from a very picky eater. the food is pretty traditional with tender sliced beef, yummy mashed potatoes, and soft dinner rolls.
served family style is much more relaxing than a buffet when its a character meal.
the atmosphere is calm as compared to other places. we felt like we were the only people there with the seating set up.
and it is the best character interaction i've had at a character meal!

Last edited:
i have a breakfast ADR there but have never been....does anyone like their breakfast?

Glad to hear all of these positive reviews of Garden Grill! It's our first meal of our trip in January '16 and we are excited!

GG is our favorite restaurant. I'd keep that over Akershus unless you're really invested in the Princesses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter