• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SWAT team called to Disney, person of suspicion

Strange. We left MK at 3 today. No buses were running. They all pulled off to the side and just sat there. Some left empty. Twenty minutes or so later they started picking up. I wonder if they temporarily suspended service.

I imagine only a matter of time until Paris closes, too, as while less than the Asian areas, case numbers in France doubled today.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't want to stir up rumors, but I thought there might be a case or more confirmed in California. Is Disneyland on the eventual closure list? We're going to WDW next week, but who knows what that will bring.

I do know several of the Caribbean ports are turning away cruise ships even if one (1) crew/passenger is exhibiting flu-like symptoms. I don't know if Disney Cruise Line goes anywhere in the Caribbean beside Castaway Cay. But if they do, I'd be a little concerned/anxious.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I don't want to stir up rumors, but I thought there might be a case or more confirmed in California. Is Disneyland on the eventual closure list? We're going to WDW next week, but who knows what that will bring.

I do know several of the Caribbean ports are turning away cruise ships even if one (1) crew/passenger is exhibiting flu-like symptoms. I don't know if Disney Cruise Line goes anywhere in the Caribbean beside Castaway Cay. But if they do, I'd be a little concerned/anxious.
Reminder we have a coronavirus thread for this discussion.

Reminder we have a coronavirus thread for this discussion.

This is in the context of a bad day the OP referenced. There is also a DCL thread related to coronavirus. If I feel that I want continue to discuss coronavirus in more detail, I will choose a different thread.

That's good. But still scary for the people that had to be evacuated.
I agree! Lockdowns, evacuations, and police helicopters circling. This is what I go to Disney to get away from! :flower3:
Thankfully, it was a false alarm, but what the heck did someone do to warrant that sort of response?

According to news sources "someone thought a man had a gun under his jacket".
Insane over reaction by law enforcement.

I'd rather have an overreaction than an under reaction. I'm sure everyone can appreciate the trouble that one determined person with a gun can cause at a place like Disney. I'll give Orlando area law enforcement wide discretion when responding to these types of calls. Have we forgot the Pulse nightclub in 2016?

Last edited:
I'd rather have an overreaction than an under reaction. I'm sure everyone can appreciate the trouble that one determined person with a gun can cause at a place like Disney. I'll give Orlando area law enforcement wide discretion when responding to these types of calls. Have we forget the Pulse nightclub in 2016?
In today's environment we have no choice. I support law enforcement. God Bless for responding.

According to news sources "someone thought a man had a gun under his jacket".
Insane over reaction by law enforcement.
Thankfully your not in charge. In today's environment you have to do everything to protect. Thank you Disney and law enforcement. I'm glad you take the extra step to keep us safe. Bag checks and law enforcement that's visible and undercover are always welcome.

Thankfully your not in charge. In today's environment you have to do everything to protect. Thank you Disney and law enforcement. I'm glad you take the extra step to keep us safe. Bag checks and law enforcement that's visible and undercover are always welcome.

As of March 31st 2019 there were 1,971,997 people in Florida hold a Concealed Weapons License.
Florida also recognizes the Concealed Carry Permits of 35 other states.

The requirements to obtain a permit in Florida are:
  • Must be at least 21 years old
  • You have completed an approved firearms training class
  • You are a U.S. citizen or legal resident alien
  • You must reside in the U.S.
  • You do not have two or more DUI convictions within the previous 3 years
  • No convictions for a violent crime in the last three years, either misdemeanor or felony
Plus $79

That enables the holder to carry guns (as well as knives, electronic weapons, tear gas guns and billie clubs) anywhere that's not excluded by law.

That law excludes:
  • Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
  • Any detention facility, prison, or jail
  • Any courthouse or courtroom
  • Any polling place
  • Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
  • Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
  • Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
  • Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building
  • Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises
  • Any area of a vocational-technical center
  • Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
  • Any college or university facility
  • Inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Theme parks and resorts aren't included in that list.

Disney has their own rules.
Private property owners can absolutely declare that no guns are allowed on their property. Disney has a hard and fast rule about guns on their property. According to Betsy Mayer of WDW Online Communications their policy is this:

Our policy is that no guns are permitted in our theme Parks or Resorts.
If a resort guest brings one on property, it must be locked up in the safe-deposit boxes at the front desk, not in a room safe. If guests visiting our theme parks bring in firearms, it must either be left in their vehicle, or checked in with security when entering the park. Only on-duty law enforcement officers whose agency has jurisdiction at the Walt Disney World Resort may carry any weapon.
If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Is the Boardwalk resort area a resort? I guess that's up for interpretation.
What isn't up for interpretation is that even if there was a guest with a gun it was breaking a policy - a rule, not a law.
As powerful as Disney is it can't make it's own laws to supersede those of the state.
So essentially Orange County sent a SWAT team, helicopters, support teams, and initiated a lock down to enforce one of Disney's policies (depending on whether or not the "gunman" was one of the more than 7 million* people legally licensed to carry a gun in Florida).
Guilty until proven innocent I guess. This guy wasn't walking around in a ballistic vest with semi-automatic rifles and 30 round magazines.
Heck, there might not have been a guy at all.

I'm going to stick with over reaction.

*(number based on estimates of 2017 numbers)

As of March 31st 2019 there were 1,971,997 people in Florida hold a Concealed Weapons License.
Florida also recognizes the Concealed Carry Permits of 35 other states.

The requirements to obtain a permit in Florida are:
  • Must be at least 21 years old
  • You have completed an approved firearms training class
  • You are a U.S. citizen or legal resident alien
  • You must reside in the U.S.
  • You do not have two or more DUI convictions within the previous 3 years
  • No convictions for a violent crime in the last three years, either misdemeanor or felony
Plus $79

That enables the holder to carry guns (as well as knives, electronic weapons, tear gas guns and billie clubs) anywhere that's not excluded by law.

That law excludes:
  • Any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station
  • Any detention facility, prison, or jail
  • Any courthouse or courtroom
  • Any polling place
  • Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district
  • Any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof
  • Any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms
  • Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building
  • Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises
  • Any area of a vocational-technical center
  • Any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05
  • Any college or university facility
  • Inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport
  • Any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by Federal Law.
Theme parks and resorts aren't included in that list.

Disney has their own rules.
Private property owners can absolutely declare that no guns are allowed on their property. Disney has a hard and fast rule about guns on their property. According to Betsy Mayer of WDW Online Communications their policy is this:

Our policy is that no guns are permitted in our theme Parks or Resorts.
If a resort guest brings one on property, it must be locked up in the safe-deposit boxes at the front desk, not in a room safe. If guests visiting our theme parks bring in firearms, it must either be left in their vehicle, or checked in with security when entering the park. Only on-duty law enforcement officers whose agency has jurisdiction at the Walt Disney World Resort may carry any weapon.
If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Is the Boardwalk resort area a resort? I guess that's up for interpretation.
What isn't up for interpretation is that even if there was a guest with a gun it was breaking a policy - a rule, not a law.
As powerful as Disney is it can't make it's own laws to supersede those of the state.
So essentially Orange County sent a SWAT team, helicopters, support teams, and initiated a lock down to enforce one of Disney's policies (depending on whether or not the "gunman" was one of the more than 7 million* people legally licensed to carry a gun in Florida).
Guilty until proven innocent I guess. This guy wasn't walking around in a ballistic vest with semi-automatic rifles and 30 round magazines.
Heck, there might not have been a guy at all.

I'm going to stick with over reaction.

*(number based on estimates of 2017 numbers)
I still disagree with you. Just because someone has a legal weapon, common sense tells you not to carry on Disney grounds. I support concealed carry but not on any property like Disney.

I still disagree with you. Just because someone has a legal weapon, common sense tells you not to carry on Disney grounds. I support concealed carry but not on any property like Disney.

I happen to agree with you.
I'd never carry in locations like that. In fact, I usually let my guard down more in Disney than I do at any other time, probably a bad idea, but that's how I feel.
That doesn't change the fact that if someone did have a gun (no evidence of that), it's quite possible that no laws were broken and the swat team and helicopters were way over the top.
I live in Connecticut, an insanely liberal state with a population of 3.5 million residents. People with Concealed Carry Permits number more than 300,000. Ignoring rounding errors nearly 1 in 10 people you pass in the supermarket can legally have a gun on their person. If the swat team was called out every time one of them reached for the oatmeal and their jacket opened up a bit...
Lets have some perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter