Swear Words That Aren’t Swear Words

I was raised to not curse, so I don't even know many curse word, much less say any. In a situation similar to that in the OP, my typical go-to is lovely. When my DH hears me say that, he automatically asks what happened.

My Irish mother was very funny about curse words: funny strange, and at the same time, funny amusing.

Mom's rule was that in our household, she did not object to swearing as long as the words did not involve or describe bodily functions, and as long as God was not brought into it. (I think she got this from her own mother, because to this day, contrary to the current cultural norm in Ireland, in her family, you will not hear "feckin" said in mixed company. They have been conditioned over several generations to stay away from certain words.) Mom also did not tolerate us cursing people, so you could not *call* someone a name using curse words, but venting generally was permitted.

So, I grew up with being able to say "d**n it all" any time I wanted, but 'crap' would get me in trouble. Also, because we were an immigrant family, most of our curse vocabulary was British-tinged, and mine still is, so you'll hear a lot of "bloody hell" when I'm annoyed.

My husband likes to joke to our kids that when they start hearing British curse words in an Irish accent, it's time to run. (I guess because the most prolific curser in my family was, of course, my Dad, when I curse at length the Irish accent of my childhood comes roaring back.)

Last edited:
Between having a 7yo in the house and being surrounded by college students (swearing in front of them is not considered professional, although they swear all the time) I've cut way back on my swearing. I've been known to say "Holy Hannah," "Jiminey Christmas," "crap," and "freakin'" on occasion. When I'm out with DH? It gets a little saltier!

Fun fact; Jimmy Kimmel named his production company, "Jackhole Productions", after a bit that he did while part of the Kevin and Bean morning show on KROQ. Same premise as this thread - they were coming up with words that weren't swear words, and "Jackhole" was the one that stuck. It's in the credits for the Jimmy Kimmel Live! show every night now.

Between having a 7yo in the house and being surrounded by college students (swearing in front of them is not considered professional, although they swear all the time) I've cut way back on my swearing. I've been known to say "Holy Hannah," "Jiminey Christmas," "crap," and "freakin'" on occasion. When I'm out with DH? It gets a little saltier!
My students get a kick out of it. What's funny though? I've noticed a distinct disciplinary difference in using profanity in the classroom. My best friend is a dean and a sociologist. Curses like a sailor in the classroom. So do my fellow humanities profs. But the STEM folks? They just say darn. So funny!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter