Sweet treats for those with diabetes?

sweet7696

I almost met the Isleys!
Hi everyone!! My husband is a type one diabetic (just recently diagnosed). On our last trip to WDW, his favorite thing to eat was Dole Whips. I know he won't be able to have this when the time comes for our next trip, but are there any good sugar free treats out there? Sugar free ice cream, sugar free cake, anything?? He has a sweet tooth and would be really happy to hear he can eat some sweet snacks. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Jess

There are sugar free treats if he is able to have products with Nutrasweet. There is less with Splenda but a few things. Be careful with the sugar free desserts because they are not carb-free. You know he can have some sugar as long as it is counted into his carb consumption so sometimes it is easier to get a small amount of something like regular ice cream. Also the increased walking may make him low enough that a sugared treat will be acceptible. There is also a no sugar added fruit bar in the ice cream carts. Another hit is to bring some sweet treats of his own. Sugar free hard candy that he can have a few pieces. (careful with these as some are sweetened with the same product that makes Exlax so effective)

In DTD, Goofy's Candy Shop, has an entire display dedicated to Sugar Free desserts. The couple behind me purchased some. Not sure what sweetener was used, but they all looked really good!

Thanks for the suggestions!! I'll have to save those for our trip!

Talking Hands,
So far, he hasn't had any trouble with any kind of sweetner that I'm aware of. I am the one with the adverse reactions! LOL!! Splenda gives me an awful headache. He is aware he can have some sugar, but he doesn't like to eat it. He is one of those all or nothing types! Thank you for the suggestion on bringing our own candy. I wasn't sure if that was permissable or not!

Thanks for the tip on Goofy's Candy Shop Liferbabe! I'll definitely make sure we check that out!
Thanks again!
Jess

My 3 yr old son is a type 1 diabetic and we were at WDW last month. As TH mentioned there is a sugar free strawberry bar in most of the ice cream carts at the MK (though not in the other parks that we could find). My 3 yr old hated it however but I thought it tasted fine. Diet Coke is easy to find but other sugar-free drinks were not - we did see some places carry the Minute Maid Light Lemonade but not many places. None of the sit-down places did. We carried a small cooler with drinks for him into the parks.

What insulins is your DH on? We've found that (again as TH mentioned!) the sugar-free desserts often have just about as many carbs as the ones made with sugar. (the big exception are drinks and popsicles) My son uses an insulin pump so we just gave him a sweet treat (like the Itskadoozie popsicle) and bolused him for the 24 or so carbs in it. If you husband uses a fast acting insulin like humalog or novolog he could simply take a shot for the carbs. A Dole Whip would not be out of the question in that case but you'd have to be careful trying to guess the carbs in it! I steer FAR away from sugar free candy for the most part due to the sweetners used - usually the stuff that will be sending you to the restroom!

If you are doing sit-down meals be sure and note on the PS that your husband is diabetic and call the number they give you about a week before you go. Many places will provide a special dessert if you want it. We had GREAT service at Le Cellier - can't recommend it enough. But all the restaurants were very helpful.

Be sure and carry some fast acting sugar (glucose tabs, sweet tarts, apple juice boxes) in case of lows. The summer heat can make you go low (or some folks have trouble with highs in the heat). All of the walking might mean that he won't need as much insulin or can eat a few snacks without taking more insulin. Just test test test!

So I'm curious how old your husband is to be dx'd with type 1 diabetes. I have met some folks dx'd in their 20's and later but it isn't common! I highly recommend learning more about insulin pumps as he learns more how to manage his diabetes. We've found the pump gives us and William MUCH more freedom to eat like normal and it is great not having to do shots.

Have a great trip! :goodvibes

**edited to suggest you buy the book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh. This book was VERY helpful to us when William was diagnosed

Selket,
Hi!! My husband was diagnosed almost a year ago at age 24. We were shocked to say the least! He is on novolog and lantus at bedtime. He still tends to steer clear of things with lots of sugar in them. He says it makes him feel bad, like when his sugar is high... We have talked about the insulin pump, but so far, he doesn't want it.. I think now that he is at a job where he is less physically active, he might rethink the decision. As soon as his new insurance kicks in, I will call to find out what we would have to pay as far as the actual pump and the supplies go. Thank you for the recommendation on the book! I'll have to check that one out!
Thanks again to everyone who responded! I really appreciate it!
Jess

Jess - very interesting that he was dx'd at 24! Certainly not the norm but there are a few folks I know of on the Children with Diabetes website who chat there who were dx'd in their 20's (and one fellow in his 30's I think!). Children With Diabetes holds an annual conference which is often at WDW - it is actually next week at the Coronado Springs Resort. Even though your husband certainly isn't a child there are quite a few adults who attend the conference who have type 1 and they seem to enjoy it quite a bit. Of course many of the issues faced by type 1 kids also are the same for adults (exercise issues, etc.). You might want to check out the website for the conference and the sessions they have - could be something that would interest him. You can find the website at http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com and click on the Friends for Life Conference. Of course all of us parents with kids enjoy having the adult type 1's around at the conference because we learn so much from them - and what it is like to be an adult with diabetes, etc. Sort of helps us get some perspective for the future. As you can imagine a 3 yr old with diabetes is a full-time job - it gets hard to imagine what it will be like as he gets older - and hopefully can manage his diabetes himself - and what works for the older kids and adults and what they hate and so forth.

I can understand about the sugar thing - certainly no sense eating it if it makes him feel poorly! I found the restaurants very willing to make sugar-free items if we requested them. The carb count might be the similar but having less sugar might make his bgl more even.

The best of luck to both of you and I can imagine how stressful it is for you as well - hang in there! :goodvibes

That is definitely someting to look into Selket! I would love to meet other type one diabetics. I've got a friend who was diagnosed during grade school, but other than that, we have no one to go off of. Thankfully she's a nurse and has answered a lot of questions for us.
I will definitely visit the website and check out the conference. That's a great reason to go to Disney!!! ;) Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it!! Life has been pretty stressful since the diabetes diagnosis. I can only imagine how hard it must be with a 3 year old!!!! Thanks again!!!! Good luck with your little boy!! :goodvibes
Jess

My husband has been diabetic for several years and has been taking oral meds to control it. Recently while on chemo we ended up taking him to hosp and his sugars were 39 (we are in Canada where the normal range is 4-7) He is now insulin dependant. I would suggest to anyone with diabetes is get a glucometer and take it with you. Your activities at Disney are different than what you would do at home. With all the walking and the high temps your sugars would have a tendency to drop. In that case a Dole whip might be what you need.

bigmac5 said:
My husband has been diabetic for several years and has been taking oral meds to control it. Recently while on chemo we ended up taking him to hosp and his sugars were 39 (we are in Canada where the normal range is 4-7) He is now insulin dependant. I would suggest to anyone with diabetes is get a glucometer and take it with you. Your activities at Disney are different than what you would do at home. With all the walking and the high temps your sugars would have a tendency to drop. In that case a Dole whip might be what you need.
Bigmac5 your husband is now insulin using. Insulin dependent indicates he is a Type 1 diabetic. It is very unlikely that he changed from a type 2 to a type 1. The chemo would throw his numbers off and make it so he needed insulin but there is a possibility that he could be able to go back to pills in the future. I wish him luck that this will happen someday for him.
My daughter had a friend in school who has bone cancer and became diabetic due to meds. She had to go on insulin but now is free of cancer and on no diabetes meds at all just diet. It took almost 10 years for her to go off them but she is off!

My husband was diagnosed with Type 1 at 22. He has always had a sweet tooth and I have mastered the fine art of low carb treats. Splenda is the greatest as you can bake with it just as you would sugar.

I use sugar free gelatin and when it has partially set I whip heavy whipping cream in it. Even the kids like this.

I make chocolate mousse using unprocessed (preferably dutch processed cocoa and no sugar added), splenda, and for the milk I sub 1/4 heavy whipping cream 3/4 water.

He now eats pumpkin pie (no crust) again using splenda and the whipping cream and water to sub for milk.

He's found that adding water to heavy whipping cream is a great milk substitute with virtually no carbs and the water gets the fat content down to about the same as 2% milk.

My husband is a huge fan of food (and he's not overweight) and fine eating, and I just had to use my imagination to adapt some of his favorite dishes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter