Swine Flu - General Discussion and how it affects Disney

maroo

DIS Veteran
Update: The CDC is saying that the kids can go back to school! :)

*** Please read this before you post! :) Most of the regular posters on this thread, including the OP, are NOT worried about the swine flu! :sad2:

This thread was created to discuss an interesting subject and how it relates to Disney. Please read a few pages before posting.

We are not "hysterical" or "crazy." :rolleyes: Some posters are canceling trips to Disney. :sick: MOST are not. :yay: A few of the posters are experiencing this flu first hand and are sharing their personal experiences. :hug: Some posters are adding very funny jokes :rotfl2: and we certainly appreciate that as well! :thumbsup2

We are aware that 36,000 people die every year from the seasonal flu. We are also fully aware that there are many other worty causes to discuss. Having said all of that - feel free to join the discussion!

Am I the only person wondering about this news story and how it would affect a place like Disney World where people congregate from so many countries?

World Health Organization Website

www.cdc.gov

I know it is early in the process for the disease control folks, but this has me wondering what will come of this. Hopefully nothing.

I took off my editorial links since this is now a merged thread.

Maroo's personal reference links...
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=31590438&postcount=711
Encouraging article!!! The Flu strain is relatively mild. :)

Would that be the same Swine Flu that Gerald Ford saved us from in the 70's? More people got sick from the vaccine than from the illness. I'll pass on the worry part of it.

I read it to. I don't think its anything to worry about BUT anyone who is going soon might want to pack extra hand sanatizer (and make sure those kids use it!) and maybe lysol the room.

I am sure the WHO is going to stay on top of it. You are right in that Disney is a melting pot for germs :scared1:
Not that I am a complete germaphobe but my oldest has a very poor immune system due to asthma so I have to be more aware.

Just stay on top of those kids (and DH's :lmao:) about hand washing as they tend to forget in their excitement of Disney!

From what I've been reading, Tamiflu does work if it's taken early enough. So if you think you might have the flu, get checked out so you can start treatment if needed. The problem is when people wait a few days and then the Tamiflu won't work for them. They have been using Tamiflu in Mexico on this particular flu and when caught early, it works.

It wouldn't make me cancel a trip to Disney at this point (heck, I work in the tourist industry, and there are tourists all over the city), but I would be extra vigilant with hand washing and keep a close watch on my health so I can nip anything that comes along in the bud.

I wouldn't worry about it. I lived through the Swine Flu thing of the 70s and I personally knew of no one who actually got the actual thing. If we worried about every single disease out there, we'd never leave our houses.

Disney was one of my first thoughts when i started reading about it. I hope they are able to get this under control. Most people don't get to the doctor within the first few days of symptoms so the Tamiflu won't work for a lot of people! If I ran to the doctor everytime I had a sniffle I'd live in debt! It is very concerning.

:scared1: YIKES Last year we spent 10 days in Disney. On our LAST day DD was not being herself. She was very quiet and had NO energy. By the afternoon she was in chills and running fever. When we arrived home we took her straight to the Dr. She had the flu. Thank God it was our last day!!!

I am a little worried. We leave in 2 days and are flying! :scared1:
I packed some extra hand sanitizer (gel, spray and wipes). I am a germaphobe and we are in the county in TX where 2 HS students had the swine flu. :sick:

Flying makes me extra nervous because of the close conditions and recycled air.
What can you do?

Disney is probably no worse than any large city, like NYC, Washington DC, Chicago, etc...

I think the general "safety" cautions will work. Lots of hand washing, sanitizers etc.

Your best defense is washing your hands with soap and water. Sanitizers really don't work too well with viruses.But if you can't get to a sink they work well in a pinch.i really don't stress about it too much.Maybe because I am an RN and I deal with worse at work on a daily basis.

I wouldn't worry about it. I lived through the Swine Flu thing of the 70s and I personally knew of no one who actually got the actual thing. If we worried about every single disease out there, we'd never leave our houses.
So true. I'm sure Disney takes precautions and has plans incase of outbreak.

We're leaving for Disney on Friday.

We're planning on washing our hands frequently, using hand sanitizer often, disinfecting our room with some Lysol wipes and keeping a close eye on our health. Honestly, I'm not really worried. Taking reasonable precautions, I don't think there is reason to freak out right now. WHO and CDC haven't issued any travel warnings (even to Mexico!) and I trust them more than my own henny-penny reactions.:laughing:

Do you remember the Saturday Night Live skit in the 70's about swine flu???
Where they had the pigs noses?:lmao:

Hand-washing and vitamins. All you need.

While hand washing is essential it's important to know that FLU is spread airborne by inhaling droplets of an infected persons cough or sneeze, so being in confined spaces like air planes, theaters, queues, with many others puts you at greater risk for inhaling the droplets. Remember to always use your arm at the elbow area to cover your cough or sneeze, just watch the little ones most of them know the proper way to cover their cough from learning in school!

While hand washing is essential it's important to know that FLU is spread airborne by inhaling droplets of an infected persons cough or sneeze, so being in confined spaces like air planes, theaters, queues, with many others puts you at greater risk for inhaling the droplets. Remember to always use your arm at the elbow area to cover your cough or sneeze, just watch the little ones most of them know the proper way to cover there cough from learning in school!

Right.:thumbsup2 I'm a pre-k teacher and we teach "germ control" in our second week of school. We teach the proper way to wash hands. Most people do a very poor job of hand washing. We teach the children to be sure they wash between fingers and the backs of their hands and fingers too. I tell my kiddos to make bubbles to be sure they do a thorough job.

Also, remember to wash them long enough! We teach the kids a little song to sing as they wash so they wash long enough. The ABC song is about the right amount of time. We also teach children to catch their coughs and sneezes either in their elbow or in their shirt (pull the neck of the shirt over the nose and mouth. Finally, after every sneeze or cough, after blowing noses, before eating, after eating, and certainly after toileting hands must be washed.

BTW, we are prohibited from using hand sanitizers as they are not as effective as hand washing and are very harsh on the skin. Of course they are better than nothing. Instead, we have been told to use Handi Wipes or Wet Ones if we don't have access to soap and water for hand washing. I keep a travel pack in my purse for my own family.

I find that everytime we fly one of us gets sick! That being said, I won't stop flying.

Don't know if anyone uses "airborn" but we find that it works pretty well, as soon as we start feeling slightly icky we take it (even the kids--I give them a half dose) and we usually feel better quickly!

I find that everytime we fly one of us gets sick! That being said, I won't stop flying.

Don't know if anyone uses "airborn" but we find that it works pretty well, as soon as we start feeling slightly icky we take it (even the kids--I give them a half dose) and we usually feel better quickly!

If you've been using Airborne, you are due a refund. The product has been recalled and settled a class action lawsuit last year. Read details here http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20080304/cold-remedy-airborne-settles-lawsuit

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter