Switched Skipper Canteen for LTT.. Mistake or nah?

Pyxie

DIS Veteran
My trip is next week and I've been trying to push out my Skipper Canteen reservation to around 8pm (park closing) ever since the hours were extended with no luck. I don't want to waste any precious park time with it being a shorter trip and I love the idea of walking out to a nearly empty park. I still haven't found an 8pm Skipper Canteen reservation, but today I did find one at 7:55 for LTT so I snatched it.

Those who have eaten there recently, was this a good call? I do think my kids will appreciate it more. My daughter isn't big on meats, but she will eat her weight in mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. My son will definitely like this menu more than Skipper Canteen. I'm also really intrigued by that toffee cake.

So, did I make the right decision? I just need to completely convince myself lol. :)

We love LTT!

The only issue on our last trip was that we were placed over in the Diamond Horseshoe for our meal. It just wasn’t the same and next time I would request to be seated at LTT.

Follow this advice. Do not go to Horseshoe for seating... wait for LTT seating. My experience at LTT has always been excellent until most recent ... I have described the Horseshoe seating in a few posts.
Kindly request LTT seating only and you will be happy.
P.S. I have eaten a few times at Skipper Canteen and did not enjoy Except for dessert.

We love Skipper Canteen. It has a bit more adventurous menu which we like but some don't (a whole fish is not for everyone lol). But I think I would chose LTT just to get more park time. LTT was pretty tasty the one time we ate there two years ago so I don't think you'll be disappointed.

We love LTT!! The Ooey Gooey Toffee cake is one of my MOST favorite things at Disney.
We ate at skipper canteen once - I did not enjoy it at all. And I do consider myself to be an adventurous eater.
However - the decor in skipper canteen almost made it worth it to try it once. So cool!!

I kinda love both. But I haven't been on property since Feb. 2020. 😭 Next trip is in about 3 weeks. Can't wait. 🤪

Anyway, I loved the old menus at both.

The steak salad at Skipper Canteen is amazing. I love it so much I make a redneck home version.... But I don't see it on the current menu. Mouse, I'm so angry with you right now..... why do you have to disappoint me right now? What are the slightly overheated, mildly overweight, somewhat middle aged women supposed to eat????

The current Liberty Tree menu has all the good stuff - house salad, toffee cake, turkey and taters.... I might have to snag a reservation if they bump up the hours while we're there.

I've never been to Skipper Canteen, but the LTT is awesomeness.

Seven of us ate there in July, and we all loved it.

If it makes you feel any better, Skipper Canteen was the most disappointing meal we had on our last trip to the parks. It was a bummer, because both my husband and I were really looking forward to it. It was also a Halloween party night, so maybe they were just trying to get out of there (?) It was packed, the food was very meh for all of us, and our server wasn't fun at all. Also, their bathroom there is ridiculously small (not fun when it's packed and lots of people are trying to use it).

To me, it's a mistake. Liberty Tree is what most people eat for Thanksgiving. BORING. (I clearly don't really get excited about turkey and dressing - even gluten-free dressing.)

Skipper's is amazing and has a variety of things - plus everyone can get what they want rather than "this is what you get". I've never had a bad meal there. (And there is really no set expectation that servers "behave" a certain way. Not like at Prime Time where schtick is expected.)

It depends on what type of food you like.
LTT does comfort food and does it well.
Skippers is a much more adventurous menu (even after dumbing it down some). And its even better if you have a great server that does jungle cruise type commentary.
Personally, we pick Skippers every time.

For us LTT hands down. It was always our kids favorite meal of the trip. Great for picky eaters. Skippers is a one and done for us. I’ve never returned a meal in WDW before but this dish was completely inedible. Maybe it was an off day but there are too many other places to eat to bother trying it again.

Personally, our family would always choose Skipper Canteen over LTT, if we had to choose only one of the two. We enjoy the menu & the atmosphere at Skipper, and it's not typical items that we'd cook ourselves at home.

If you have very picky eaters who only like 'the usual', familiar... then go LTT. But if you have more adventurous 'foodies' in your travel party, and you enjoy the fun atmosphere and jokes and stories provided by the servers, then Skipper Canteen may be the better choice. ;)

I just find all these picky eater posts funny because LTT doesn’t let picky eaters “pick” anything—you have to like the food on the platter or you are out of luck.

Follow this advice. Do not go to Horseshoe for seating... wait for LTT seating. My experience at LTT has always been excellent until most recent ... I have described the Horseshoe seating in a few posts.
Kindly request LTT seating only and you will be happy.
P.S. I have eaten a few times at Skipper Canteen and did not enjoy Except for dessert.
Same for us we love LTT but we were underwhelmed by the horseshoe diamond experience on our last visit

We don’t care for LTT, but love Skipper Canteen. And they do have really good mac and cheese on the kids menu. I ordered it one time because I really wanted some and they gave me adult portion.

LTT is great! It isn’t anything fancy but there really is something for everyone. The dessert is the best, very sweet but so yummy. I hear mixed reviews from skipper so I think you made the right choice.

I like LTT better, because my meal (“Tastes like Chiken because it is”) at Skippers was too spicy-hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter