Swolphin Vs. OKW Vs. YC

Catbear

Earning My Ears
So I'm in the beginning of planning our end of July tripšŸ„µ to Disney for my family of 5 (DH, Me, DD (17), DD (15), DS (11). We booked one room at the YC, but upon further thought, we're debating getting either 2 rooms at the Swan/Dolphin or a 2 bedroom villa at Old Key West. We've stayed at YC and GF previously in one room, but the thought of sharing one bathroom with 2 teenage girls is making me a little nervous. We've never stayed at a resort that only has bus service to the parks before, though we will have a car this time. What would you choose if you were in my situation? We've thought about renting points, but TBH, with my kids sports, we may have to shift dates around, if a tournament comes up. Thanks!

Any multiple bedroom (+bathroom) option for that group size would seem to be a more important priority over transportation - especially if you have a car as an alternative. Time spent sharing a bathroom could be managed into time waiting for a bus. Clearly, if renting was an option, it does open choices, but as you said - there may be a flexibility on dates issue.

I have to tell you, the idea of a 2BR at OKW sounds really good! You can spread out, the extra bathroom and beds. Not to mention a full kitchen, living room, and even the washer/dryer is a plus - if you plan it right, you can pack less up front. That said, the location of OKW vs Sw/Do/YC might not be as appealing, since you give up the option to walk to EP/HS. But you'd still be busing if you go to MK and AK. Good luck with your decision!

If the famā€™s hearts are set on SAB they may find the crunch worth it. Swolphin has a nice pool at Dolphin all the Swolphin hotel guests can use but it is not SAB. Be aware Dolphin has fulls, not the queens Swan& Reserve have. Iā€™d be tempted by 2 rooms at Swolphin but that space at OKW looks real nice & would give all the kids their own sleeping surfaces. OKW does have the boat to DS. Do remember all boats stop running if lightening is in the area.

Pool priority: YC
Transport priority: Swolphin
Comfort priority: OKW

Yeah, we're not set on SAB. We've stayed there twice so far, and got tired of hunting for chairs/floats/etc. My daughters are both lifeguards, so their idea of a good day isn't spent at the pool anymore, unfortunately, especially one with small kids. They can't turn their watching skills off.

I do like the idea of a kitchen area to have coffee in the morning, but I can't seem to get over not being able to have close access to the parks. Though, on vacation, we don't prefer to have food in the room, and I tend to go for walks away from everyone anyway. Having the Boardwalk/ and Yacht and Beach Club right there to roam around, may make it the winner.

Yeah, we're not set on SAB. We've stayed there twice so far, and got tired of hunting for chairs/floats/etc. My daughters are both lifeguards, so their idea of a good day isn't spent at the pool anymore, unfortunately, especially one with small kids. They can't turn their watching skills off.

I do like the idea of a kitchen area to have coffee in the morning, but I can't seem to get over not being able to have close access to the parks. Though, on vacation, we don't prefer to have food in the room, and I tend to go for walks away from everyone anyway. Having the Boardwalk/ and Yacht and Beach Club right there to roam around, may make it the winner.
I will tell you, I also enjoy walks/runs in the mornings. And BC/OKW are places we've stayed often. It's hard to beat the path around the lake at BC/YC, and the path along the water to HS. However, there's also a hidden gem at OKW for walking/running. First, the resort is big, and you could just walk the sidewalks in the resort. But out the back there's a path that takes you along the golf course all the way down to Disney Springs (about a mile to DS once on the path) - it's a beautiful and very quiet walk, since there are almost no people on the path. I also find, if we're in a larger OKW room, I do less disturbing of the family when I'm up and heading out for my morning walks....

But if you're planning time at HS and EP, it's hard to beat the location of YC or S/D..... Your choices are all great choices!

We frequently squeeze 9 people into 2 Poly studios (me, dh, 3 of our kids in one and my parents and 2 older kids in another) and itā€™s doable but obviously can be stressful and really depends on how well your kids get along. That being said we often stay in a 2 br at OKW also and itā€™s a beautiful resort and youā€™d have plenty of room. Itā€™s super close to DS, not a park but still a plus. Swolphin is probably the best choice since you want to be close to parks snd you want more room and 2 rooms there are much cheaper than Y/BC. Tough choice.

2 rooms at Swolphin gets my vote then! You have the same ability to walk around YC/BWI you would have at YC and a little privacy between kids and adults will make it a nicer trip for all.

2 rooms at Swolphin gets my vote then! You have the same ability to walk around YC/BWI you would have at YC and a little privacy between kids and adults will make it a nicer trip for all.
My husband also just chimed in. He's a Marriott Platinum for life member, and wants the points. I think we have a winner. No bad choices anywhere though.

My husband also just chimed in. He's a Marriott Platinum for life member, and wants the points. I think we have a winner. No bad choices anywhere though.
Solves your coffee problem! For the breakfast at Swan or Dolphin Plats get a card valid for $X at the grab and go places or continental breakfast in the restaurant (only for 2 people though). At Reserve you get room service continental breakfast or continental breakfast in their restaurant. Don't forget to join us on the Swolphin thread if you have q's about the resort!

Bus only transportation at disney resorts are not usually an issue, but multiple bathrooms with teenage girls might be.

If you want more transportation options (and still want the 2nd bathroom), you may want to look at the family suites at Art of Animation. There is a primary bedroom with attached bath, a small kitchenette, a double (or queen size) pull out sofa bed, a pulldown murphy bed (that converts into a table when closed) and a 2nd bathroom. It will also have the skyliner to Epcot and Hollywood studios. It isn't the full kitchen you would get with a 2 bedroom at OKW, but would allow for something other than buses to the parks.

We are a family of 5 as well( although are kids are a bit older). Hands down I would go with the 2 bedroom villa at Old Key West. The extra bathroom in my mind negates the transportation and then some :) We love the YC(when just my wife and I) and are not a fans of Swan and Dolphin, so a bit biased on the latter.

One of our best trips in July was at the Yacht Club ! We stayed first floor by the quiet pool (admiral) . We were able to take a break in the afternoon and the pool / hot tub felt like it was our own ! We were able to take showers and get ready while the kids could swim . We could walk right out our patio and call them in when it was their turn . It was so perfect and relaxing . The best trip ever !

If you want more transportation options (and still want the 2nd bathroom), you may want to look at the family suites at Art of Animation. There is a primary bedroom with attached bath, a small kitchenette, a double (or queen size) pull out sofa bed, a pulldown murphy bed (that converts into a table when closed) and a 2nd bathroom. It will also have the skyliner to Epcot and Hollywood studios. It isn't the full kitchen you would get with a 2 bedroom at OKW, but would allow for something other than buses to the parks.
I just watched a you tube video and itā€™s super cute.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter