T-Mobile Magenta Max on the Dream?

EeyoreJMH

DIS Veteran
Earlier this summer, T-Mobile rolled out a bunch of travel benefits. One of the ones for the Magenta Max plan is "up to 5GB of high-speed data, then unlimited data at approximately 256 Kbps—in addition to unlimited texting and calling at $0.25 per minute in 215+ countries and destinations." For cruises specifically, T-Mobile says "We recommend that you turn off roaming while the ship is docked at the US port. Otherwise, your phone may pick up the ship's network and you'll be charged cruise ship roaming charges for any usage. Once you're out to sea, you can then turn roaming back on and pay the respective usage for data, text, and voice." I checked and Disney Dream is supported.

Has anyone used these benefits on the Dream or any other ship? Thanks!!

We personally never use our plan ON the ship, and wait until we are docked and away from the ship before we turn our roaming on to use our data and texting in whatever country we are in. Should you drop the signal and it picks up something else you'll be paying exorbitant roaming charges. Also keep in mind you'll have to forward your calls direct to your voice mail, because even if you don't pick it up if it rings and goes to your voice mail, you'll be charged for that. Wouldn't be a fun bill to come back to if you're paying for all those Spam car warranty and student loan calls if they are charged at a different rate.

I would be surprised if you had to pay for unanswered, incoming calls. Usually, the caller pays. And, if you don't answer, then how many minutes was your call? If they do charge you the $0.25 for some reason, I'm sure that you could easily dispute it. But, for $0.25...

Anyway, T-Mobile is also going to start using Starlink to fill in gaps soon. I wonder if that will work better on the ships than Disney's WiFi plans!

When we sailed on the Wonder last October, we turned our phones on while in port at Cabo and were not charged any roaming. We didn't leave the ship because our son was too young to be vaccinated. That's no guarantee of course, but just wanted to provide another experience.

I would be surprised if you had to pay for unanswered, incoming calls. Usually, the caller pays. And, if you don't answer, then how many minutes was your call? If they do charge you the $0.25 for some reason, I'm sure that you could easily dispute it. But, for $0.25...

Anyway, T-Mobile is also going to start using Starlink to fill in gaps soon. I wonder if that will work better on the ships than Disney's WiFi plans!
This is right from T-Mobile's page - (bold in the script is mine) --

Your voicemail password & charges​

Great news, there's no extra charge for people leaving a voicemail in your inbox when you are roaming internationally. However, you will be charged for the following:

• If your phone is on when you get an incoming call, even if you don't answer it and it goes to voicemail, the call is charged one minute for the call coming into the phone. (There are no charges at all if your phone is turned off.)

So while the 25 cents would be fine if in port.... if you're accidently connected to the ship network because your close to it, or some other tower that T-mobile doesn't use for the international purpose that bill "could" be hefty. If you're on the ship at sea and that happens that's $5.99/min charge (on our plan anyway according to the lookup) So again, we just don't bother while AT sea and wait until we're offshore away from the pier.

Last edited:
Earlier this summer, T-Mobile rolled out a bunch of travel benefits. One of the ones for the Magenta Max plan is "up to 5GB of high-speed data, then unlimited data at approximately 256 Kbps—in addition to unlimited texting and calling at $0.25 per minute in 215+ countries and destinations." For cruises specifically, T-Mobile says "We recommend that you turn off roaming while the ship is docked at the US port. Otherwise, your phone may pick up the ship's network and you'll be charged cruise ship roaming charges for any usage. Once you're out to sea, you can then turn roaming back on and pay the respective usage for data, text, and voice." I checked and Disney Dream is supported.

Has anyone used these benefits on the Dream or any other ship? Thanks!!
There is no Data on the ship through the plans. Texting is 50 cents to send / Talking is $5.99 a minute. The part you quoted is only for once you are land in a supported country.

This is right from T-Mobile's page - (bold in the script is mine) --

Your voicemail password & charges​

Great news, there's no extra charge for people leaving a voicemail in your inbox when you are roaming internationally. However, you will be charged for the following:

• If your phone is on when you get an incoming call, even if you don't answer it and it goes to voicemail, the call is charged one minute for the call coming into the phone. (There are no charges at all if your phone is turned off.)

So while the 25 cents would be fine if in port.... if you're accidently connected to the ship network because your close to it, or some other tower that T-mobile doesn't use for the international purpose that bill "could" be hefty. If you're on the ship at sea and that happens that's $5.99/min charge (on our plan anyway according to the lookup) So again, we just don't bother while AT sea and wait until we're offshore away from the pier.
Ouch. They shouldn't charge if you don't answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter