table seating question

nickglover

Mouseketeer
My wife and I are going on our first cruise 11/9 on the 4-night Wonder. We have late seating.

We would prefer either a table on our own, or a larger table, such as a table for eight.

We are not sure we would feel comfortable at a table for four with another couple only.

1. What are our chances of a table on our own or for eight?

2. If we want to request a table on our own, where do we go and when?

3. What does DCL usually do with two people?

Thanks!

Nick

My guess is that 95+% of the time a couple will share a table with another family or two or three or more.

DCL does not have any tables for two.

There are many tables for 4, but most of the tables are for 8 or more.

We have always been at a table with several families. It has always been an enjoyable experience.

we have been at a table for 8 twice and a table for 6 once. On last year's Western they added two more chairs and made it a table for 10. The new couple were not happy at their assigned table so Zoran brought them to us. We had a great time.
Enjoy,

Hi there

We were on the Wonder in May travelling as a couple. We were placed on a table for four and our dining companions were a couple from Virginia. They went to Palo's one night and we went to Palo's one night so we actually only dined with them 2 nights out of the 4 and then breakfast the last morning.

You can put in a request with DCL on your reservation that you'd prefer a larger table. Obviously they can't guarantee anything but I always say "if you don't ask you don't get"

Nick, it's funny you brought this up as my husband and I were talking about it last night...we also have late seating and are on the same cruise as you.

From everything I've read here, no one has had horrible tablemates outside of those "once in a blue moon" situations. Hopefully, it won't be that bad!! I've always heard that DCL tries to match people up, (honeymooners, anniversarys, etc) but I don't know if that's true or not!

On our 9-28 cruise DH and I were seated at a table for 6 with only a mom and her 5 year old.It was their first cruise and they were very overwhelmed with everything.They didn't show up until about 9:00 and it was really too late for this child to be eating. I felt bad for them as it had obviously been a long day.Not to be rude but we were very relieved when they didn't return.They didn't know there was an earlier dining option and when the waiter told them she said they would have to try that. I really think she thought it was more restaurant like-just show up and be seated whenever.I hope that doesn't sound terrible but a tired 5 year old is not my ideal dinner companion for a cruise.What bothered me most was that there were a lot of tables with only 1 or 2 adult couples at them with the rest of the places sitting empty.Our cruise was was not at all crowded and I understand Disney must have to spread people around for waiter equality etc..but it seemed like poor planning to me.As people started going to Palo etc..a lot of couples ended up alone.I also think the child would have enjoyed some other child company.Hopefully they were able to get in early dining and meet other children.The point is you may want to also checkand see if your dinner companions are adults if that matters to you.

thanks for the input everyone - we certainly don't mind sharing a table for 4 with another couple - but our thinking is that at a bigger table, there is not such a demand to keep the conversation going as there is at a table for four - it just seems a bit awkward...

we have our reservations already - if we want to request either a table to ourselves or a table for eight, how do we go about that? should we call, or should we speak to the head waiter upon boarding?

(on Carnival we went to the head waiter upon boarding and requested a change to a table for two and we received it)

(I know DCL does not have tables for two, but it is possible a November cruise may not be full and that they could seat us at a table for 4 on our own)

at any rate, I didn't want anyone to think we don't like other people!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter