• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tables in Wonderland- Yay or Nay

tigergrad

DIS Veteran
DVC members- WDW trip planned for May 5-12. There will be 6 of us- 4 adults and 2 children (8 and 2 1/2). Plan to eat at at least one TS each day. It's been a few years since we used the TIW card. We will most likely not be returning to WDW within the next 13 month period. Opinions?

Do you plan to buy a lot of drinks at the table services?

And remember the tip becomes automatic

We do not drink so no savings there and there will already be a tip added because there will be 6 of us.

You really want to be able to pass the break-even point of spending. Also, not all restaurants accept it.

We looked into it and did not find it was worth it.

OP, we are purchasing it and our trip is only 5 nights/6 days; just DH and myself. We enjoy wine with every dinner and are doing mostly TS and lounges. We don't have the cost of our APs to make up for so its a no brainer for us. My math, which is admittedly horrible says for us to recoup the $150, we have to spend $750; is that correct?

As others have said, look at the restaurants you will going to. With alcohol, it isn't too difficult to break even in one trip. Without, not as easy.
Also be sure you understand for everyone at your table to get the discount, you must be the person paying for everyone. You can settle up later.
If you were going back in the next year, I would be inclined to think it could be a good option.
With only one trip, and no alcohol, play with the numbers, but I suspect it won't be worth it for you.
If you will have an AP, then I definitely would not spend the money for TiW.

OP, we are purchasing it and our trip is only 5 nights/6 days; just DH and myself. We enjoy wine with every dinner and are doing mostly TS and lounges. We don't have the cost of our APs to make up for so its a no brainer for us. My math, which is admittedly horrible says for us to recoup the $150, we have to spend $750; is that correct?

That's how I figured it when I made my decision:
$750 check totals = full price
$750 check totals x 20% = $150 of discount (the cost of TiW)

(CHECK TOTALS x 20%) - $150 = "Saved Money if positive" or "Lost Money if negative"

Without getting into the tipping debate, I was going to tip a minimum of 18% for the $750 in check totals either way.

I tend to put the break-even for my specific situation closer to $950. $750 would be the strict break-even if you didn’t qualify for any other discounts and didn’t order an alcohol. Only the TiW discount applies to alcohol, so that adds value. Several (I wouldn’t say “lots”, but the list has grown) restaurants also offer DVC discounts. If every restaurant you dine at also offers a 10% DVC discount and you don’t order any alcohol, then your break-even is $1,500.

I tend to put the break-even for my specific situation closer to $950. $750 would be the strict break-even if you didn’t qualify for any other discounts and didn’t order an alcohol. Only the TiW discount applies to alcohol, so that adds value. Several (I wouldn’t say “lots”, but the list has grown) restaurants also offer DVC discounts. If every restaurant you dine at also offers a 10% DVC discount and you don’t order any alcohol, then your break-even is $1,500.

This is where my brain hurts. LOL. :blush: We have both DVC and APs. Its the break even I cannot conceptualize.

We are in the same position. We have AP and DVC. Since the TiW applies to alcohol, it helps sway us to getting the card most years. I figure our break even point is around $1000 when the other discounts are taken into account. Without alcohol, and having the other cards, the break even is close to $1500. The year the AP discount was 20%, the TiW card didn't make sense for most people.

DVC members- WDW trip planned for May 5-12. There will be 6 of us- 4 adults and 2 children (8 and 2 1/2). Plan to eat at at least one TS each day. It's been a few years since we used the TIW card. We will most likely not be returning to WDW within the next 13 month period. Opinions?
Do you qualify for the DVC discounts on food.
If you do then check this site out and compare?

http://allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf

That's how I figured it when I made my decision:
$750 check totals = full price
$750 check totals x 20% = $150 of discount (the cost of TiW)

I was going to tip a minimum of 18% for the $750 in check totals either way.

Yes, that's us to a "T". And I have the AP and DVC Discounts but neither discount alcohol. I really only drink on vacation, when someone else is doing the driving (Buses, Boats, Monorail)
There is generally 4 of us at dinner, sometimes more, and with before dinner drinks with the appetizers and wine with dinner, the tab is usually 40/60 :rolleyes1food and alcohol, so for us it makes sense, it pays for itself and then some. If we didn't drink, I wouldn't bother.

Ahhh the alcohol is a very good point! So the AP and DVC discounts do not apply to alcohol? My numbers for the discount were coming in very close (after hitting $750 on TiW) but I think its because I left in the alcohol when figuring the DVC/AP discount.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter