Take the train?

kanerf

DIS Veteran
Now that DME is out starting next year I am looking at perhaps taking the Autotrain the runs from DC down to Orlando. You drive your vehicle onto the train and take it with you. No worries about renting a car. Anyone done this?

Now that DME is out starting next year I am looking at perhaps taking the Autotrain the runs from DC down to Orlando. You drive your vehicle onto the train and take it with you. No worries about renting a car. Anyone done this?
I have a friend who did this. She paid extra to have her car unloaded first and she booked a private room for herself rather than a seat in coach. She said it was pleasant but expensive. She would do it again if the cost of a rental car was too pricey in comparison. I think it would be most affordable if you're a snowbird who wants their own vehicle with them in Florida.

WDW Prep School just posted a podcast last week in which the interviewee used the auto train to take their car from Virginia down to Orlando. They said that it was definitely more expensive than flying or renting a car.

We have. It was a fun experience, one we will probably do again-especially if we will be in the state for longer than a week and need a car. With that being said, it is in no way cheaper than a) driving b) renting a car/hiring a car service at the airport c) cheaper than flying (usually) or d) a time saver. At least that is OUR experience!

We had not before experienced much train travel, so it was a novelty to us at first, and the dining car experience was charming. We had a roomette, and it was a bit tight. Husband is 6'3" and I am 5' 0" and even I felt a bit cramped. Next time we do it we will get one of the bedroom options. If memory serves me correctly, the additional fee for having your car be one of the first off is $60 I think-but I could be wrong on that.

Have fun!

A few years ago it was more expensive for 2 of us but this year it isn't. The car alone for 2 weeks is 1389 (lowest price).

I plan on taking it from Orlando to Va in August. I will not be getting a state room which may be why the cost is less but for 3 of us and the car the cost is $496. We will be driving down and staying 2 1/2 weeks. I'm thinking after that length of time, riding the train back will be beneficial (I am the only one driving).

It's designed for older snowbirds who find the long drive daunting, and thus it is usually only a decent deal moneywise if your trip is a rather long one.

I will say that it is a nice option for people who need to move a vehicle seasonally, and y'all I-95 corridor people are the only ones who have this option, as there is no other AutoTrain route. (For most of the rest of us, getting to Florida by train is a tortuously long exercise in going the wrong way. From my home in the lower midwest, taking the fastest train route to Florida involves traveling north to Chicago, along the Canadian border below the great lakes through Ohio, then down to DC to join the northeast corridor line. It takes 50 hours, requires 2 train changes, and costs around $900/pp if you don't want to sleep sitting up in a chair for 2 nights.)

It's designed for older snowbirds who find the long drive daunting, and thus it is usually only a decent deal moneywise if your trip is a rather long one.

I will say that it is a nice option for people who need to move a vehicle seasonally, and y'all I-95 corridor people are the only ones who have this option, as there is no other AutoTrain route. (For most of the rest of us, getting to Florida by train is a tortuously long exercise in going the wrong way. From my home in the lower midwest, taking the fastest train route to Florida involves traveling north to Chicago, along the Canadian border below the great lakes through Ohio, then down to DC to join the northeast corridor line. It takes 50 hours, requires 2 train changes, and costs around $900/pp if you don't want to sleep sitting up in a chair for 2 nights.)

As a teen some 45-years ago, I remember taking the AutoTrain northward from Sanford to Louisville (we drove down to Disney). Our family did not spring for sleepers...they were too expensive. So we slept, upright, in the chairs. Not really comfortable. Our train was delayed several times, and we didn't get to Louisville until late afternoon (we were supposed to get there about 9 AM. And we also had the 2 1/2 hour trip back home to the northern Cincinnati suburbs. Dad commented we would have gotten home quicker if we drove. Still, I don't know why they got rid of the Louisville route. Not enough riders?

If having your car is important to you and you don't mind the extra travel time, the auto train is a great option.

As a teen some 45-years ago, I remember taking the AutoTrain northward from Sanford to Louisville (we drove down to Disney). Our family did not spring for sleepers...they were too expensive. So we slept, upright, in the chairs. Not really comfortable. Our train was delayed several times, and we didn't get to Louisville until late afternoon (we were supposed to get there about 9 AM. And we also had the 2 1/2 hour trip back home to the northern Cincinnati suburbs. Dad commented we would have gotten home quicker if we drove. Still, I don't know why they got rid of the Louisville route. Not enough riders?

Actually, the company went out of business. The current Auto Train is an AmTrak revival of the original route, which was run by a company called ... Auto-Train Corp.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto-Train_Corporation

Rail travel really hasn't been time-effective outside the NE corridor since the late 1960s, when a lot of passenger railway lines gave up their track leases to freight companies. Now the freights have right-of-way, so even when you are going the right direction, you often are traveling at way less than the train's normal speed, because there are slower freight trains sharing the same track line.

If you've ever been to the Museum of Science & Industry in Chicago, they have an entire Zephyr passenger train on display. That train routinely traveled from Chicago to Denver in 16 hours -- in 1936!! Today's trains don't come anywhere close to that speed out here.

I love, love, love the Auto Train. As others have said, it's not necessarily the cheapest or fastest, but it's an experience all on its own. I've done it both in coach and in a roommette, and I don't really have a preference--the coach seats fold down waaay more than an airplane seat, and if it's not full (usual), you can turn around the seat in front of you and fold it down, creating an almost lay-flat situation. I love the dining car, love meeting fellow travelers, just love the whole experience.

couple of comments

- AutoTrain pricing (when I've done it anyway) is very 'dynamic' so don't take any price mentioned as what will apply to you.

- IME the price is impacted by the size/weight of your vehicle .......

- I've twice used AutoTrain to move vehicles. I'd previously trucked vehicles ($$$) and when I needed to move one from central FL to northern VA Mrs suggested I check AutoTrain. Oh SURE ... great idea thinks Mr know it all. Turns out I moved the car (a collector car I did not want to drive) for about HALF the truck cost and that was with me in a 'roomette' <crowded for two, great for one>

My lil guy waiting for his first ride on the train .... Sanford station .... (I'd hung a note on the knob for the choke explaining its use to the porter who'd unload the car .... I had to sign a damage waiver due to low bottom clearance )

583889 :drive:

Actually, the Auto Train was not designed for snowbirds. It was originally built as a way for all people to get to FL with their vehicle. The original ads in the 80's for the originally privately owned AT were with families. Snowbirds make up a large portion of passengers in the fall and spring, but there are all ages onboard. The rest of the year, the demographics are pretty even. Even in the fall when we always go (Nov) we have seen many families, couples, singles and snowbirds.

We've ridden it 7 or 8 times and are again in Nov. We live 45 min from Lorton, VA which makes it very easy for us. We always get a bedroom now and that makes the trip so much easier. I hate to fly and we like having our SUV with us. We can pack as much as we want. We also have the BOA Amtrak rewards card and rarely pay for a trip on Amtrak. Our Nov roundtrip in a bedroom with our SUV is all being done on points.

I love riding the train. Go to sleep in NC and wake up to FL palm trees. The reverse isn't as fun because it means we're heading back home.

We have. It was a fun experience, one we will probably do again-especially if we will be in the state for longer than a week and need a car. With that being said, it is in no way cheaper than a) driving b) renting a car/hiring a car service at the airport c) cheaper than flying (usually) or d) a time saver. At least that is OUR experience!

We had not before experienced much train travel, so it was a novelty to us at first, and the dining car experience was charming. We had a roomette, and it was a bit tight. Husband is 6'3" and I am 5' 0" and even I felt a bit cramped. Next time we do it we will get one of the bedroom options. If memory serves me correctly, the additional fee for having your car be one of the first off is $60 I think-but I could be wrong on that.

Have fun!

We did the Auto Train one time and will probably never do it again. It was pricey, we had a roomette and it was very cramped. If you have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom you have to walk to the nearest location while the train is rocking and rolling along. The restroom was dirty, someone had peed on the seat, yuck! In the middle of the night you will pass other trains flying by you going in the opposite direction and they are so close it's scary. I had really hoped to like the auto train thinking it would save a lot of wear and tear on our car but it's just not for us.

We love the auto train. Like others, we have the Amtrak BofA card and use it frequently to get points. Having a private bedroom with bath means that we can take our masks off when we close the doors. Dinner and breakfast come with the room. We can pack whatever we might need which is particularly helpful when the weather could be cold or very warm (I'm looking at you, February). While it may not be the cheapest way to get there, it is low pressure and fun.

I've got a roomette booked in early Feb., and I'm seriously considering upgrading to a bedroom if available. It will double my price, but I'm thinking it may be worth it. Last time we took the train we had a roomette and it was a bit close but not undoable. I just didn't like schleping to the bathroom.

We've done it a few times, sometimes down sometimes back depending on the cost - always bedroom because of COVID. Headed back from Sanford on the 22nd of January, snowbirds priced us out going down. I enjoy it, my husband not so much. We're seasoned train travelers, having ridden
the Zephyr, etc. out to the west coast twice a year until COVIC.

I've got a roomette booked in early Feb., and I'm seriously considering upgrading to a bedroom if available. It will double my price, but I'm thinking it may be worth it. Last time we took the train we had a roomette and it was a bit close but not undoable. I just didn't like schleping to the bathroom.

Once you’ve done it, you won’t go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter