• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking 11 yo - Never traveled w/child before - Tips?

le9397

Mouseketeer
Hi All - I'm hoping to take my 11 y/o godchild to Disney in August. This would be her first big trip anywhere and she loves all things Disney. I've been there several times but I've never traveled with a child. Any hints on things she might really enjoy or hate or even traveling with a child her age? I would truly appreciate any advise from those with experience. I really want to make this trip special for her (everyone's first trip to Disney should be!). Thanks for any help!

Lisa

This is a loaded question. Does he/she like thrill rides? Do you like them? What are his/her favorite characters? I suggest that if you have some old park maps, sit down with the child and go through them. Let him/her read the maps, ask questions and tell them about rides, shows, etc. Share this site with them. Show them the teen board, utilize all the resources possible.

Hi we3luvdisney - Thanks for your response!

A little more information would probably be helpful. Yes, we both love thrill rides although my neck makes me wary of some things like Star Tours. I'm 30 but already have arthritis in my neck and back so I'm careful but will ride most things. Her favorite character is Minnie and I'm planning on a couple of character meals that Minnie is usually at so she can see her. She also likes the princesses so I will be trying for CRT for breakfast. I'm also going to get her the Disney for Kids by Kids guidebook. She doesn't have internet access so unfortunately, I won't be able to hook her on this site. I'm thinking about 4 or 5 days at the parks and 1 day at Blizzard Beach.

I guess I'm really just a bit nervous about traveling with a child since I never have before. I'm sure no matter what we do, it will be wonderful just because we are at Disney but like I said in my original post, I really do want it to be special for her. :)

Thanks again....Lisa

All I can say is to take your time and don't try and cram everything in, you won't be able to do it. I suggest that you go to the park and when you get tired, return to the hotel and swim, take a nap, etc. Don't forget Peter Pan, It's a Small World and the rest of the kiddie rides (be careful of the Pooh ride, there is a part where the car goes up & down). Don't forget the shows (Beauty & the Beast, Fantasmic, etc). Do you have old park maps that the two of you can look at? If not, PM me and I might be able to send you some of my old ones.

She might enjoy pin collecting/trading. My DD age 9 loved it last trip and my two nieces ages 10 and 12 went crazy for it on their trip too.

Also, my DD really liked getting her hair wrapped.

I have an 11 yr old DD and one suggestion is , if she has a gameboy or cd headset have her take it for the trip. They are still impatient at this age so if by plane or car they need to entertain themselves. Last June my daughter thought she was too old for the autograph thing but she did get back into it about the 3rd day we were there. ONLY after seeing others her age and older were doing it too. Not sure why but she enjoyed doing more at the meals than in the open park. CRT was a request of hers. That surprised me but I was really happy to see part of my little Disney princess lover returning :) Oh they just grow up or try to too fast !! She might enjoy MGM more so than MK , depending on her personal taste of course. If I were you I would ask her what is most important for her to see and do. If she has no idea about what is there you can order the free planning Disney vacation tape or DVD and give her some ideas. I have a similar neck problem as you, advice to you stay away from the rollercoasters!
I just about killed myself with pain last yr just because I wanted to ride her first rollercoaster with her.
Hope you both have a great time!

Disnee Dad Says................................I like the idea of looking at the park maps, it's better than a book, not for it's information really, just that glossy paper feel! I have several maps of all four parks from November 2001. PM me and I'll send you a set.

Congrats on taking your godchild to Disney World. We're looking forward to taking our Godsons one day... the're a little young 3 1/2, and 18 mos. so we have a good 5-6 years to plan.

When my folks took my nephews a few years ago... the older two (19 & 17 at the time) were allowed to spend some time by themselves. The youngest 11, had to stay with my folks, so when the big guys were doing there thing, the 12 year old got to be Gram & Papa's tour guide. We had loaded him up with Disney books for research and he planned the tour. My folks said it was the best part of their trip. He was very organized, and had everything well thought out, and he was in his glory. :cool:

We took our (then) 10 yr old neice to Disneyland a couple of years ago. It was my first time travelling with a kid, so I can relate to your concerns. Let her take things for the trip to amuse herself (books, games, etc.) and definately let her help plan the trip, picking things she would really like to see. Be wary of cramming too much in, but also let her stamina guide you - if she's not tired then going back to the hotel for a nap is right out...

Our neice really liked the pin trading & we bought her a lanyard and gave her some starter pins. She still collects them & we bring her pins back from our tris. :)

Another resource you might try is the Passporter (www.passporter.com) which has reviews of the parks & rides from both a kid's and and adult's perspective (in addition to the cool pockets to store tickets, write down room reservation numbers, etc.).

Sarangel

Don't forget to bring/pack snacks for traveling. Ask the Mom what she likes to eat. Kids get grumpy when they are hungry. Then again, grown-ups do to!

There shouldn't be anything that your godchild shouldn't be able to do. I agree about sharing old park maps (there are some online even) There is also a book called WDW for Kids by Kids. It's older but gives kid reviews of all the attractions. My kids love their copy and are such WDW experts that they will go, "Oh but that is closed now" or "It's not like that anymore!" LOL! Anyway, don't try to do too much in one day. I would limit character meals to 1 a day or 1 every other day. It can be a real drag to be in the middle of doing something fun only to realize that you have 10 minutes to get to the other side of the park for your PS. Oh, and I would try to do any PS meals either first thing in the morning or as a late dinner. It's also more economical to eat counter service. Many times we have even skipped lunch because we have had an ice cream and some other goody (popcorn, pretzel, pastry) and aren't hungry and then we will have a nice early dinner.

Minnie can be seen several places. Toon Town in MK, Character Greet Trails in AK, and on the bus in Epcot. Don't recall where in MGM, but someone else will know. Your godchild should have plenty of opportunity to see her even if you don't do all the meals

:earsgirl:

Thanks everyone for all of the great ideas!

I have maps and a ton of other stuff from my last two trips ('00 & '01) so I am pretty set with all of that. I'm sure she would love to look through it all.

I actually won't know if we are going for another month or two (it depends on my job situation.....we will probably be facing layoffs soon). I can't tell her anything until it is definite. Once I know for sure then I will certainly get her involved in the planning. Actually, I think once I tell her she won't be talking about anything else until we go. I'm still really hoping to go this summer but worst case I'll just be planning early for next year. :D

Thanks again!

This will be our third straight year taking our daughter to Disney. She is 11 this year, but her two main interests have been and remain pin trading and finding hidden Mickey's. If you buy the Disney for Kids by Kids guidebook, I believe there are hints and tips in there for finding hidden Mickey's at the various hotels, parks, rides, etc..

Chances are, you won't need it, but better safe than sorry --
Take along a note from the child's parents that you are responsible for the child during the time period you will be gone and that you are authorized to approve medical care if needed. Also, take along the child's insurance card or (plan number, deductible/copay info etc.)

I think it would also be important to set "limits" with her. You do not want her to get a case of the "I wants" and then have her pout for an afternoon because it is not in the budget or whatever.

One thing that always has worked great in my family (DH, 14 y/o and 5 y/o) is our $20 a day budget. I give everyone $20 in the morning. They are to use that for drinks, snacks and souvies. I purchase lunch and dinner (we usually eat breakfast in the room if we do not have a character meal planned somewhere). If they have money left over at the end of the day, it is theirs to keep to add to the next day's $20. If there is something that they really, really want they usually have enough money saved by the nd of the week to purchase it.

I take my nieces- ages 10 & 12 with me a lot to Disney. Here's some of my thoughts. I agree with the money limit idea. I get them Disney Dollars that I give to them at the beginning of the trip. That's their money to spend as they want. Then when they are bugging me to buy them everything I can tell them they can spend their money. Of course I still buy them stuff like snacks and small goodies but it gives me an out if I don't want to get them something that they think they can't live without.

I also bought each girl a fannypack. In it they carried their own authograph book, pen, disposable camera and snacks. They really liked having their own stuff right there with them. It also saved me from having to carry everything.

We usually pack "snacks" for the hotel room. We also pack mac & cheese packets, spaghetti packets, pop tarts, fresh fruit. They usually want a snack at night and this is much cheaper than the food court.

I usually let them get a map and choose what we are going to do. I even let them lead me to the attraction. We also enjoy character meals. They really enjoy the ice cream social at EPCOT.

I agree that you need to have a note from their parents authorizing medical care. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Have a blast! It is so much fun going with a kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter