Taking 3 kids

blcahill

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

New to this board and loved seeing a family travel board. My DW and I will be taking our Nephew (14), Niece (11), and Nephew (9) to WDW this year. DW and I have been before but this is the first for them, and the first for any sort of major trip for them.

We do not have children. All three behave with us very well, but I would like any and all suggestions for 3 kids this age at WDW. We will be going in April and expect crowds.

Any parents of kids this age have any suggestions of what we can expect from kids this age the first time at WDW?

Any thoughts of problems we may have with the age range? The oldest is actually more afraid of heights and coasters than the youngest.

Any comments or suggests will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob C

My kids are younger so I can't help. But I would like to say welcome to the DIS! :wave:

Hi and welcome to the DIS!!! You'll have a great time with your niece and nephew at DW. There's so much to do!

1. Make sure you ride the rides (the 14 year old will like the Fantasy Land ones too - the attention to detail is wonderful).

2. Try and go to a waterpark

3. Rent a mouseboat and ride around the lake

4. Go to DisneyQuest

The possibilities are endless. Have a wonderful time! We'll be there 4/12 thru the 27th! I can't wait!!!!!

Just remember the kids will need breaks sometimes!All early mornings and late nights will catch up to everyone.Make sure you know what is important to each of them and do those rides first in each park,so there are no hurt feelings later.Also make sure they see the fireworks my 9yrs old loves them.No other fireworks can compare.

My boss took all her grandchildren (by herself, at that) and their ages ranged from pre-school to teenagers. She mentioned that the older children were a little more "high maintenance" that the younger children. They tended to forget things, like their sweaters, water bottles, camera, etc. They also got bored while waiting to do things the others wanted to do. Since this is their first time, I suggest that everyone make a list of what their particular "don't miss" attractions/rides are so that there are no objections when you're indulging only one member of the group even though the others are not interested in that attraction.

Also, WDW is sooo overwhelming that even the most responsible children won't remember everything they're told. So it might be a good idea to complete a mental checklist every morning so your party has everything they need to take to the parks before you leave your hotel.

And, you probably have already thought about this...but be sure to get a copy of the family's insurance info should there be a medical emergency (and a note from the parents giving you permission to obtain emergency medical care...don't forget to jot down the children's SS#)

1.I would check their heights and make sure they can all go on the rides before you go. That way if the 9 year old is too short you will know ahead of time.
2.We have our three children carry either a belly pouch or a small back pack. They carry a snack, autograph book and pen, cheap poncho the $1.00 ones from Bobs stores, maby even a water bottle, .
3. Try to stand on the bridge between tomorrowland and mainstreet to see Tinkerbell fly from the top of the castle right over your heads to tomorrowland. It is awesome to see.
4. Try to get to the parks early when it is less crowded. Our first 2 trips we never took breaks.The kids were so excited. They kept going and going and going.
5. leave time for the pool at the resort. My kids have to go swimming every day.
6. HAVE FUN.........I love watching how much fun my kids have every year but the first time was the most memorable. Walking down mainstreet reminds me of that feeling every time we go.
7. We go to all 4 parks , blizzard beach and Disney Quest. A day for each. Maby 2 days each for magic kingdom and Epcot.
Hope this helps.....................My girls are now 8, 12, and 14. We started going 6 years ago with them...Now we can't stop.........Every year we try a new resort.........

Thanks for the hints. We have all the needed paperwork, belt pouches, etc. Our only concern is the kids being with us for such a time period. They have never been with us for such a long time period.

I think you guys are wonderful to afford them this opportunity to go to Disney (will you be my aunt and uncle?) The advice you are receiving is excellent from everyone. Don't worry about having the kids for so long, the time goes by very, very quickly at WDW, and at night they will certainly crash (you will too, lol). The most important information you have been given is to avoid "overload", rest and enjoy out of the hustle and bustle of the parks - resort pool, etc., you will all need the break. I wish these boards were around years ago when our kids were younger for all this advice. Have a great vacation, we'll be there in April, too!

p.s. Bullfrog sunblock is the most waterproof for pools/waterparks, it's spray on.
Two-way radios (with subchannels) are invaluable if any of you split up, with five of you
this will probably happen)

Just wanted to let you know that I took my nephews (then 12, 8) and niece (10) to WDW in 2000 and will be doing the same this year with them being 14, 12, and 10...very close to the ages of your "little' charges! So I can definitely relate. First and foremost, enjoy every single moment. Really. I know everyone says that, but they grow so fast and every picture or memory you can make to make them laugh or make their trip special will be worth it. Make sure you let them look over a book like "Walt Disney World for kids by kids". This is a great tool if they haven't been to the parks before and don't know what to expect. I had my niece and nephews look it over and gave them $5 Disney dollars for listing their top five picks for "must dos" at each park. This way, they could anticipate what was ahead of them. I am a BIG planner...and with "our" kids, it really worked out well to have every day planned out beforehand with what park/parks we were doing as well as any PS arrangments we had and what to pack in their OWN backpacks. Make sure you have autograph books and markers/pens...My niece got all her autographs on a special denim hat...VERY CUTE! Again, as someone has already posted, get medical releases for the kids from their parents. Just in case. Make sure the kids (especially the younger ones!) know what to do if they get separated from you. Believe me...I know this from experience! Make sure they each have their own camera! Disposables work great. My niece and nephews loved the pools at the All-Stars as well as Blizzard Beach. Spend some "down" time there if possible. Just be silly. My nephew who will be 14 this trip has a little trouble with taking himself too seriously (you know, being too "cool" for all that Disney stuff)...if you show him that you like it, he will too. My niece and nephews love it when I'm silly. Have a great time! Let me know if you have any questions... IVY

Thanks for all the tips. We have done most things and are having them earn Disney Dollars right now. Grades, being good etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter