• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Taking a First-Timer with Preschooler

ChloroformSdxn

Mouseketeer
Any suggestions? We're regular Disneyland visitors now (5 years ago me would not believe I'm saying that now. Anyway....), and in a couple weeks I'll be going with a friend. We'll have our kids with us, mine turning 4 and hers turning 3. I think her kid might be *just* below the 40 inch mark. Neither of them have been to any of the Disney parks.

I know what my kids like to do, and they're thrill seekers, but we don't know yet what her kid will like. What would you show someone to showcase the magic of Disneyland in that age range? Right now I have breakfast with Minnie reservations, and that's about it. Because of the ages of our kids, I've recommended against the evening dining packages because they'll probably fall asleep before the shows start.

For first rides, I'm thinking things like Teacups and Dumbo before we get onto the dark rides, and definitely testing out the Gadget Coaster.

Take an afternoon break and nap back at your hotel. Will go a long way with the little ones and with you.

My son was riding Space Mountain by 5. He's a thrill seeker. I say go for the thrills if the kids are up for it. Otherwise, fantasyland is your friend, not to mention jungle cruise, tiki room, maybe pirates, small world, Winnie the Pooh, toon town, buzz, and maybe star tours. Have fun!

Mine were little when we went. Is her 3 year old into any characters? Don't forget about the Disney Jr. ones at DCA. My DD's favorites at that age were Tinkerbell and IASW. Mine still hated all the fuzzy characters at that age so be careful with the introductions. It might help if her child knows them, maybe ask if she's shown her child Mickey's Clubhouse. Mine enjoyed the shows and the train too.

Oh, I totally forgot about Mickey's Clubhouse, thanks! I've had my kids watch those old Disney shorts with Donald Duck, Chip & Dale, etc, to get familiar with some of those characters.

..........funny.....all of us adults forget about autopia.....fantastic for pre-schoolers.....horrific for us pedal pushing adults. !!!!

Oh, I totally forgot about Mickey's Clubhouse, thanks! I've had my kids watch those old Disney shorts with Donald Duck, Chip & Dale, etc, to get familiar with some of those characters.

We don't have cable so I buy some of the Disney shows for the kids on our Roku. I haven't watched it yet but there's a new show called something like Mickeys Racers. It looks cute and better graphics. I'm hoping to introduce my kids to the classic characters so they can better appreciate it when we are there.

..........funny.....all of us adults forget about autopia.....fantastic for pre-schoolers.....horrific for us pedal pushing adults. !!!!
Ha! We love Autopia. When I went on it the first time (as an adult, after not having been there for 20+ years), I was a little taken aback by how boring it was. I remember it being SO EXCITING as a kid, and my kids absolutely love it. Once you can legally drive (and faster than 8 mph or whatever), it loses its appeal

We don't have cable so I buy some of the Disney shows for the kids on our Roku. I haven't watched it yet but there's a new show called something like Mickeys Racers. It looks cute and better graphics. I'm hoping to introduce my kids to the classic characters so they can better appreciate it when we are there.

I'll look into it, thanks! I get the older shorts just off YouTube. There are hours of them. Again, something I hadn't watched since I was a little kid, so they were really fun to see.

Go to Toon Town RIGHT when it opens (an hour after park opening), there is almost always a character that comes out to the gates for the opening. My now 11 year old, then 5, loved holding hands with Goofy and skipping into Toon Town. Bonus, Toontown is pretty dead for the first hour.
If we have limited time, We personally don't do Autopia because it's hot queue and the line moves very slowly. More bang for your buck at other attractions, in my opinion.

Nothing horrific about it for me! In fact right now I'm horrified that we managed to miss it a few weeks ago! Love that ride. :)

I think when you first enter, let go of the urge to run off to a headliner and instead assist your friend in getting to the hub or castle. Maybe offer to walk the stroller down Main St and meet them while they ride in a vehicle. Take pics in front of the castle, ride the carousel. But beyond that, I'd let them know what your itinerary is and suggest they research the rides and see if they want to take their child on them with you. Leave places in the schedule where you'll meet up if they choose to do their own thing.

Keep in mind that kids can surprise you as well. My second son is not a fan of dark rides or anything with suspense. He hates rides that use suspense to scare you like Tower of Terror or Haunted Mansion, but loves ALL roller coasters, the bigger the thrill the better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter