Taking a friend across the border

scorpsfan

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

This isn't really Disney related, but it's border related (lol) I just thought I'd ask here in case someone has experience with this.

So has anyone taken a friend (like your child's friend- under 18) across the border without their parents? What if you were to spend the night somewhere as well? What documentation (if any) have you needed?

Thanks so much!

We took our son’s friend, 16 with us to Disneyland/California for 8 days last May. She had a signed letter from her parents (not notarized) but she was never asked for it. Had no issues at the borders/airports.

I would bring a notarized letter that lays out everything "I give permission for (insert your name) to bring my child (insert child's name) to (insert) place". And include the dates, etc

I always put my contact phone numbers in case someone at the border (or airport) wanted to contact me.

As far as I'm concerned if it isn't notarized it is meaningless. I did MANY of these up when my kid was a minor and would be travelling to the US with grandparents, etc.

Also, even if it is just an overnight (or even a day trip) I would make sure they are covered for medical insurance. That could turn into a nightmare.

We took our son’s friend, 16 with us to Disneyland/California for 8 days last May. She had a signed letter from her parents (not notarized) but she was never asked for it. Had no issues at the borders/airports.
That's a crapshoot. I would never have sent mine without the notarized letter (even though they don't always ask - they can). I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable taking someone else's child across without one.

Is a Passport necessary?
To fly to the US, yes (regardless of age). If driving across the border then those under 16 do not have to have a passport, they can use a birth certificate (and this will also get them on a flight within the US).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter