taking a nanny...cost?

hollybearsmom

Please send my fairy godmother home, pronto!
If I go along as a families nanny, what should I expect to be my cost beyond tickets?
The mom asked me, and I said I didn't know. Room and meals sounds reasonable, but what about my flight?
They asked me to come by the way.
Thanks.

I know this isn't exactly the same, but my DH is a law enforcement officer and sometimes provides security. If he were traveling for work...work would pay lodging (his own room), travel, regular salary (and OT if he works OT) as well as providing a per diem for meals/expenses. If he was expected to enter the movies or the parks or some other entertainment venue to guard the person, his entrance to the event would be paid.

I was thinking my own tickets since they want me for nap time and early bedtimes, they can keep going with their other kids.
I would have rope drop to lunch as free time.
I appreciate the input. I guess I should consider it all work time.

Sounds like you have some free time but not a lot and they are taking a lot of your day. They should definitely pay flights, hotel room (your own, not shared with the kids), meals (you didn't ask to go to someplace with high food costs where every meal is OOP). Quite frankly, I think they should also pay for your tickets because what else are you supposed to do, but that's up to you -- if they expect you to be in the parks at all, the ticket cost should be all on them so that is something I would verify up front (like do they want you along so they don't have to do child swap). They should also pay your regular salary during the working time.

I would think that all your costs should be covered since they are inviting you along to work. You may get some free time, but you wouldn't be there if it wasn't to do your job.

When I was a nanny I often went with the family on vacations and trips including Disney and they pretty much paid for everything. I have a pass so that wasnt even taken into consideration but I was paid more than my normal rate for my service since we went out of town. If the family has requested you to go they should be paying for your lodging and most meals. The lodging would be paid for up front but my meals and anything I bought for the kids they just reimbursed me.

If you are unsure about what will be covered go ahead and ask! It is by no means unprofessional!

We have a nanny because my wife and I both work, and I agree with the other posters. Despite it being at Disney World, this is a work trip for you, you should be paid for it. I would never consider asking our nanny to come and take care of our kids and not pay her expenses as well as her salary for work. Possible exception would be if this is a close friend or family member and you are trying to do them a favor, but you shouldn't feel obligated to do so.

IMO:
Non-negotiable - cover your flights, hotel, and meals (amount of $/day for food should be agreed upon prior)

Negotiable:

What are your expected duties, and based on that how many hours are considered "work hours" that are paid per day?
You should probably know going in what you are going to be doing. Just watching the kids at night so the parents can have a nice dinner alone? Going with them to the parks to help them chase after Little Timmy? What about nighttime? Based on that, you can decide how many "hours" that is worth and how much you should get paid per day.
To be honest, I would probably just pay full work days, no matter what the expected duties are. Imagine they weren't going to Disney World, but instead they were going to BoringMcBoringsville USA to visit the grave of their dead cat. They just wanted you there to watch the kids for 2 hours so the parents can attend Mr. Meowington's' memorial service, but you could have the rest of the time off. Sure, you are only "working" for 2 hours, but at the same time you are spending your "time off" touring the National Museum of Dried Paint and eating at Discount Dan's Day-old Diner. Is it really fair to only pay you for 2 hours? From a business perspective, Disney World is no different than BoringMcBoringsville, as there is no guarantee that an employee actually wants to go to Disney World or will find it enjoyable. People take business trips all the time to Hawaii, Las Vegas, etc and they generally get paid for it. However, I could see an argument for only paying the actual hours you are working if you are agreeable to it, just something to work out with the parents.

Park admission?
If you are not expected to go with them to the parks, then it would be reasonable for them not to pay for your park admission, but if you are expected to help take care of the kids at MK, then they should pay for your admission.

No matter what you decide, I think it's important to have an agreement ironed out ahead of time so that there are no hard feelings during the trip.

Oh such good points. Thank you all for your input. I was thinking vacation minded not work minded. I appreciate all the comments. And am ready to discuss it with them. Thank you again.

We are taking our nanny and paying for everything as well, except for some in room breakfasts we have planned (i.e. Mornings where we grab a granola bar and go), however we would order her stuff from garden grocer the same as we will for our family, so basically if she wants to go to the resort quick service, that will be OOP for her. If she wants anything outside of the ADRs, above and beyond the dining plan, I'd expect her to pay for it though. And of course she will pay for her own souvenirs.

Having been a nanny for many many years:
they are expected to pay:
- flights
- personal hotel room (or private bedroom in a condo-style)
- all meals with the family
- tickets to attractions you HAVE to go to: so if you are helping at MK, or you do a day trip to SeaWorld, they pay your ticket. But if you decide to duck out to Blizzard Beach on your morning off, that's on your dime.
- daily wage for being there: now this will take negotiation there are two options: 1) I've traveled to a theme park - I wanted to go, it was fun! We agreed upon $50/day regardless of hours worked. And 2) We went to a wedding. I charged my full working day cost, plus an over-night fee on the reception night.

I don't have a nanny, but if I did I would expect to pay her airfare, park tickets, meals, and her lodging. I would also pay her normal salary for the days we would be there as I could hardly expect her to work for a week or whatever time we're there without pay.

I was thinking my own tickets since they want me for nap time and early bedtimes, they can keep going with their other kids.
I would have rope drop to lunch as free time.
I appreciate the input. I guess I should consider it all work time.
If they aren't expecting you to be in the parks as part of your job while there, but you want to go while you have free time, then I think I would plan on paying for the park tickets yourself. I would expect that flight, hotel and a per diem for meals (assuming you're not expected to join them for meals) would be covered by them. (ETA and of course your normal salary for any working hours)

If I go along as a families nanny, what should I expect to be my cost beyond tickets?
The mom asked me, and I said I didn't know. Room and meals sounds reasonable, but what about my flight?
They asked me to come by the way.
Thanks.

I think the nanny should be paid her salary/hourly wages for the hours she is working, and ALL of her costs minus personal spending money should be covered.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter