Taking Home Leftovers

mainelyj

Mouseketeer
I’m not sure if this can happen. We plan to eat at a couple of restaurants that have all you care to enjoy food. If there is food not eaten on the table, are you allowed to take the food home?

Typically those 'all you can eat' restaurants do not allow for removal of leftover food. If they did, this would encourage people to take huge portions of items with the intent to take it home with them. Buffets and family style service are the ones who generally won't let you do that. This isn't specific to Disney, but typically of what you will find in most restaurants with that type of service.

Most likely not. I was actually offered a to go box at Whispering Canyon on my last trip after they brought the two of us a skillet refill that was probably meant for a party of 10 LOL. That same trip we ate at Sebastian's Bistro and had extra steak left over, and they said they couldn't give us a box. It's extremely YMMV but I wouldn't count on it.

Yachtsman gave us to go boxes for our steaks. Editing to add that I just realized you’re asking about all you can eat places specifically though. I think for the most part they don’t encourage takeaway of leftovers.

Last edited:

When I was at storybook dining my baby didn’t eat a lot of the Mac n cheese they gave her and gave us a box of it to go

No one will say anything if you take what’s left on the table (in my experience). I always travel with ziplock bags I throw stuff in if I don’t wanna bother the server for containers. My family makes fun of me but I don’t care. You paid for it! Just don’t order more just to take, but imo if there’s food left it’s fair game.

Yes, you did. If you ate part of it and there’s some left, either you take it or they throw it away. That’s wasteful.
You paid for "all you care to enjoy."

You didn't "care to enjoy" what's left.

Look up "gauche" in the dictionary and there's a picture of a person stuffing buffet leftovers into a Ziploc bag they brought to the restaurant.

I agree that it's wasteful. The solution is to not take too much in the first place, not to take too much and then smuggle it out so you have a free (stolen) lunch for the next day.

I’m not sure if this can happen. We plan to eat at a couple of restaurants that have all you care to enjoy food. If there is food not eaten on the table, are you allowed to take the food home?

No. Why? Everyone would order another round with no plans to eat it but ask to take home.

Anywhere not all you can eat they are prepared to box. We took half our meal home from Space 220 and heated up next day.

This is why we can't have nice things. OP, you had an honest question, but the reality is....too many people want more more more and take advantage or think they are ENTITLED.

You do not pay for a plate to take, you pay for what you eat there.
I made reservations for Ohana and Whispering Cafe. I watched YouTube videos to get a sense on the experience and there is so much food I don’t think we can eat what they will give us. I guess my strategy will be to ask for smaller portion sizes to avoid waste. And once we decide which foods we will enjoy to ask for more. I did not mean to cause a debate with my question. It was genuine to avoid all the waste on saw in the you tube videos. Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

I made reservations for Ohana and Whispering Cafe. I watched YouTube videos to get a sense on the experience and there is so much food I don’t think we can eat what they will give us. I guess my strategy will be to ask for smaller portion sizes to avoid waste. And once we decide which foods we will enjoy to ask for more. I did not mean to cause a debate with my question. It was genuine to avoid all the waste on saw in the you tube videos. Thanks for everyone’s feedback.
I've had servers offer to box desert for me at Ohana before because we weren't hungry for it.

I’m glad you asked this question OP. I’m going solo next trip and was wondering about getting boxed leftovers to enjoy at the resort later, although not likely planning to do buffets. But the Ziploc bag idea that was mentioned is great.

Last edited:
You will have a great time at both! You asked a valid question! We eat a lot and still too much for us. On the flip side, it sounds like portions cut in a lot of places so I guess it evens out 😂

Everything on the dis sparks debate these days. I guess it adds to the fun 🤗

No. Why? Everyone would order another round with no plans to eat it but ask to take home.
I wouldn't -- not at Disney. I don't want to walk around with a food box, and I don't want to eat food that I couldn't take straight home and put in the refrigerator.
Sharing a plate is an option.

I wouldn't -- not at Disney. I don't want to walk around with a food box, and I don't want to eat food that I couldn't take straight home and put in the refrigerator.
It depends on the food, the time of day one eats and when you are leaving. Some folks have dinner then leave, some have lunch and take a break at their lodging, some are locals going home. I doubt most walk around with the food for very long if they take it.
Sharing a plate is an option.
Ohana is All You Care to Enjoy and priced per person. You can't share a plate here. It is one reason we do not go back as we don't think it's worth that much per person.

Whispering Canyon does have entrees you can share but the Skillet All You Care to Enjoy can not be shared, it is priced per person. Good option for group who some want more food than others.

Note: Only exception is letting a 2 and under eat off your plate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter