Taking pictures questions

deltanut

Earning My Ears
I would appreciate it if anyone could offer some simple, non-technical information on using (i.e. camera settings) our new Rebel Digital XT (body only - black) with Tamron AF18-200 mm F/3.5-6/3 XR (ld aspherical if) lens.

I'm taking my family to WDW on Monday as a Xmas surprise. Wife doesn't even know yet. So I have been too busy planning everything to read up on the camera (our 1st SLR).

Please let me know what you think the best settings for the following would be:

1. fireworks
2. kids on rides
3. parades
4. character meals

Thank you all who reply and offer advice.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

i underestand what you are asking, but the best and quickest way to get that info is to read the owners manual. I will still try to help you out. for the 2nd,3rd and 4th subjects, just put camera into the basic auto position via the switch on top or side, wherever it is. as for the fireworks, again, read manual.

I either use my Night setting, Action setting or Auto. For the firework photos it is best to have tripod. I have found that the best place to shot pictures from is by the popcorn stand before you go into tomorrow land.

Character sightings - There are several charaters in front white building on the right side of the enterence (drawing blank on the name right this second)

Tomorrow land - there are glass windows just before buzz lightyears ride. It has the incrediables there.

Toontown is a haven for characters. - The tent, Mickey & minnie's houses.

1) Fireworks - Set main dial on Tv mode, use finger wheel to set shutter speed to 1/20sec. Put lens on widest angle. Focus on the castle, then flip the switch on the lens from Auto Focus to Manual Focus. While shooting, do not zoom up or you will need to re-focus. Hold camera as steady as possible - hold breath while shooting.

2) Kids on rides - set main dial on Sports mode.

3) Parades - For daytime, see 2). For night time, see 1).

4) Character meals - set main dial on P mode. Pop up flash, take shots from fairly close so flash will illuminate subject.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the simplest instructions for taking the specified shots. They will not result in 100% perfect pics; you'll probably get 1 good pic out of every 5 at fireworks and night parades, and about 9 out of 10 at character meals and daytime parades.

The only way to increase that number is to learn - learn more about your camera, and about photography in general.

Practice, practice, practice...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter