Taking Wine to Dining Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bottom line is it's a moot point. As long as people are allowed to bring wine and beer aboard, those who insist the rules don't apply to them will continue to drink it wherever and those who obey the rules will continue to obey them.

And if/when Disney decides they are losing too much money on people not obeying the rules and change the policy for bringing alcohol on board to make it more restrictive (either none, further limits, and/or automatic corkage fee for anything brought on board, etc.), the rule-breakers and the rule-followers will all pay the same price.

I really don't think the wine and beer drinkers breaking the rules are a big problem on Disney.

I, personally, don't think being allowed to bring the wine and beer on board is a financial or very important issue for me. How much wine and beer can a person consume daily? If they did any of these things you list, it's not going to make a significant difference to me. It's such a paltry benefit, I fail to see how it could be a big deal to anyone.

I really don't think the wine and beer drinkers breaking the rules are a big problem on Disney.

I, personally, don't think being allowed to bring the wine and beer on board is a financial or very important issue for me. How much wine and beer can a person consume daily? If they did any of these things you list, it's not going to make a significant difference to me. It's such a paltry benefit, I fail to see how it could be a big deal to anyone.

It is a big deal to some but I don't think enough for it really to cause a steep drop in Disney's cruising. The only reason we may carry wine on is because the wine list in the MDRs isn't always the best so if we are doing a pre-cruise day or two we may grab a bottle of something my fiance really likes. However, he can typically find something to drink at the MDRs and Palo and Remy have wonderful wine lists so if he really wants a good glass he'll just wait until those two.

You are missing that one big reason for corkage fees is to make up for revenue lost because you are not buying wine from the establishment in which you are consuming it. Another reason given for corkage fees it to cover costs related to providing the stemware, cleaning it, and to cover the cost of replacing the broken stemware. These are all things that DCL still has to do even when you are opening your own bottle and pouring it in your room, unless you are carrying on your own stemware and washing it in your stateroom sink. Some cruise lines charge a corkage fee for simply bringing a bottle onto the ship, regardless of whether you consume it in your stateroom or in a public area such as the dining rooms. If people flaunt the rules DCL has in place, they could easily change to charging corkage on all wine carried on, or prohibit carrying on of all wine and beer. They already decided to change their policy regarding carrying on liquor and limit the amount of beer and wine carried on because it was cutting into their revenue when people refused to follow the rules regarding consuming it only in their staterooms.

You may have the mental capacity to decide to break a rule, but that doesn't give you the right to break a rule. It's DCL's ship so you are obligated to follow DCL's rules. Obviously people decide to break the rule all the time, but that doesn't make it right. And as I stated above, if enough people continue to break the rules, DCL could change their policy again.
Yeah I still thinks it's more of a crowd control/safety vs. money issue. The costs of dishes etc is minimal (I mean there is no extra fee for multiple dishes of food or extra plates or more or less regular drinks). If it gets out of hand they can say hey it's not allowed to drink in public -- but my impression reading the rule is that the concern is the public drinking and not the cost.

The bottom line is it's a moot point. As long as people are allowed to bring wine and beer aboard, those who insist the rules don't apply to them will continue to drink it wherever and those who obey the rules will continue to obey them.

And if/when Disney decides they are losing too much money on people not obeying the rules and change the policy for bringing alcohol on board to make it more restrictive (either none, further limits, and/or automatic corkage fee for anything brought on board, etc.), the rule-breakers and the rule-followers will all pay the same price.

The bottom line is that DCL made the rules (restricting alcohol brought on board, Only drinking in stateroom, no saving chairs/seats, no one under 18 in adult areas, smoking in DSA's and NOT on verandas, etc) and if they are not enforcing them than we are all on the honor system. Of course that doesn't include folks posting on this board about sneaking booze in a "rum runner".:rolleyes2 I remember reading that not long after the "rule" change. Again, it's up to DCL to follow their own rules..imo.

Last edited:

The bottom line is that DCL made the rules (restricting alcohol brought on board, Only drinking in stateroom, no saving chairs/seats, no one under 18 in adult areas, smoking in DSA's and NOT on verandas, etc) and if they are not enforcing them than we are all on the honor system. Of course that doesn't include folks posting on this board about sneaking booze in a "rum runner".:rolleyes2 I remember reading that not long after the "rule" change. Again, it's up to DCL to follow their own rules..imo.

Which is exactly why I said it is a moot point. :rolleyes2

And I don't even know what a "rum runner" is, so you certainly never read that from me.

DCL new policy is if you bring a glass into a MDR they will check your account and if you have not made the purchase in last 30 minutes then you will pay the corkage fee!:rolleyes1

DCL new policy is if you bring a glass into a MDR they will check your account and if you have not made the purchase in last 30 minutes then you will pay the corkage fee!:rolleyes1

Where is that policy posted?

How can they tell if someone didn't buy a drink for you?

As the OP I would like to thank those who contributed. I have found the information I requested and would like to recommend we close the thread as it just seems to be going in circles.

I did not post it to stir up controversy, just to help me determine if the main dining rooms were considered public spaces. I now have enough information (and more!) to share with my friend and they can make the decision that works best for them.

Thank you again for all your input.

As the OP I would like to thank those who contributed. I have found the information I requested and would like to recommend we close the thread as it just seems to be going in circles.

I did not post it to stir up controversy, just to help me determine if the main dining rooms were considered public spaces. I now have enough information (and more!) to share with my friend and they can make the decision that works best for them.

You can click "report" in the lower left of your post and ask a moderator to close the thread, if you wish.

I mean it bothers me but you kind of have to pick your battles. Just like if I saw someone walk out of their stateroom with a wine glass I'm not going to run off and report them. A parent who quickly orders a drink from cove holding their kid who then takes the drink and goes back to the family pool eh not worth the steam. A kid who is allowed to play in the adults only area or swim in the pools or hot tubs yep that's enough that I'll let a deck CM know. I can be bothered by something but not go off reporting every little infraction to DCL.

Even if you saw someone coming out of their room with a glass of wine it does not mean they brought it on board. We order wine from room service all the time while getting ready and bring that with us to dinner. We would be seen walking out of our stateroom with a wine glass.

OP's wish is my command! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter