Talk to me about Christmas and Thanksgiving weeks

TristiK

Mouseketeer
We are normally summer people - I'm a teacher so it's near impossible to go during the school year. However, it has always been my dream to go during the holidays. I just moved to a new district that has zero restrictions on when you use your personal days, so we're thinking about a holiday trip in 2020. Our two options would be to go over Thanksgiving week (we have Wed-Fri off, so I can use my 2 days on Monday and Tuesday and my kids would only miss 2 days of school) or the week of Christmas - I would want to do the Christmas party so we'd have to get there in time to hit the last one. We are used to crowds, our trips are normally in the 8-10 crowd level range, but how bad is it going to be over the holidays? My kids are not thrill riders, so luckily we don't need to try to hit anything that usually has crazy lines, but is it going to be wall to wall people? I don't want to spend the amount of money Disney costs and then have everyone be miserable. Is one of those weeks better than the other? I'd love advice from anyone who has tackled this time frame before!

Thanksgiving is drastically better than Christmas in terms of crowds, but I think MVMCP isn't held during Thansgiving? Depends on the exact dates. Also MVMCP ends December 21 (this year).

Christmas is the busiest time of the year. Crowds are much heavier than they are during the summer. Thanksgiving is busier than summer, but not nearly as busy as Christmas

Thanksgiving is drastically better than Christmas in terms of crowds, but I think MVMCP isn't held during Thansgiving? Depends on the exact dates. Also MVMCP ends December 21 (this year).

Well that’s a bummer! I really wanted to see the parade and fireworks. I think we’re still leaning towards that timeframe though

If it's the same as this year, you will need to be there on Friday one week earlier, or stay for the Sunday show the weekend after Thanksgiving and miss the following Monday at school.

I teach also and have gone the week of Thanksgiving and the days leading up to Christmas. I thought the crowds weren’t too bad until Thanksgiving day and after. I’ve also left the past couple of years as soon as we got out for Winter Break (This year we will leave on the evening of the 19th) and stayed until Christmas Eve (so 5 days in the parks). I felt crowds were comparable to Thanksgiving week and the Christmas parade and fireworks are in MK in place of FOF and the regular fireworks after the last Christmas party. I love going when the parks are decorated for Christmas!

We're doing this year what you're considering doing in 2020 -- we are booked for 12/20-12/27. We've been at Christmastime twice, both times leaving on 12/26 and arriving the 18th or 19th, and didn't find it got crazy busy until Christmas day. However, the last time we went for this week was 8 years ago, and it sounds like the parks have gotten quite a bit busier at that time of year since then. To help make it an easier trip with more "guaranteed" experiences, I've booked a CL stay, and we're buying the special CL FP+ that get you an additional 3 FP+ per day. We also have at least one TS booked every day, and have several dessert parties booked as well so we're guaranteed fireworks viewing.

If it helps at all, I plan to post a trip report after we get back...after all the valuable information I've gotten here, I feel I need to pay it forward!

:crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded: But if that's when you can go, what are you gonna do? Not go? I don't think so!

Go and have a blast. The force of the Dis (and some strategic planning) will work wonders. If you can drag yourself outta bed on vacation, you'll be waaaayyy ahead of most of the other guests.:earsboy:

We are teachers and can only go during school holidays also. Christmas is super busy but I absolutely love it! The decorations, the music, seeing Santa at the resort, the parade, just being in the happiest place in the world makes it really magical. We also don’t feel the need to run around and do every ride and spend some time relaxing at the resort. I would stay away from the parks on NYE though. One time we were trying to leave Epcot around 8pm on NYE and it was like being in a human traffic jam-wall to wall people so tightly packed you could barely move. I think if you have the mind set that you aren’t going to see everything and use your FastPasses wisely you could have a wonderful time, even if it is busy!

:crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded::crowded: But if that's when you can go, what are you gonna do? Not go? I don't think so!

Go and have a blast. The force of the Dis (and some strategic planning) will work wonders. If you can drag yourself outta bed on vacation, you'll be waaaayyy ahead of most of the other guests.:earsboy:

Luckily my kids are up by 5:30 even on vacation so we are definitely rope droppers! Since we’ve been before and know we’ll be back, we’re ok knowing we won’t get as many attractions in (plus my kids won’t tide most of the headliners).

Well that’s a bummer! I really wanted to see the parade and fireworks. I think we’re still leaning towards that timeframe though
Thanksgiving would be much better than Christmas. If you want to see the Christmas party you could stay the Sunday after thanksgiving and go to that party. The crowds for thanksgiving will be heaviest Thursday-Saturday. When we have gone for thanksgiving we have usually done the Tuesday before through Tuesday after. Starting Sunday in that span, the crowds really start to thin out and we usually go to the Sunday Christmas party. After going multiple times over Christmas and thanksgiving I prefer thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving would be much better than Christmas. If you want to see the Christmas party you could stay the Sunday after thanksgiving and go to that party. The crowds for thanksgiving will be heaviest Thursday-Saturday. When we have gone for thanksgiving we have usually done the Tuesday before through Tuesday after. Starting Sunday in that span, the crowds really start to thin out and we usually go to the Sunday Christmas party. After going multiple times over Christmas and thanksgiving I prefer thanksgiving.

Love to see this, we had booked for the party on Sunday and was really worried about crowds.

I would say go Thanksgiving and take off the Friday before if you can to do the party then and stay until the Sat or Sunday after so you have multiple days at the different parks. Plus some time to visit the deluxe resorts for the decorations.

I vote for Thanksgiving time, too.

Just make sure you make all your fastpass and table service meal reservations as soon as you can do it.

Depending on how you plan it you should be able to do MVMCP.

I'm a teacher too. This will be our 3rd Thanksgiving trip. We fly in Thanksgiving morning and have the last flight out the following Wednesday. We get Tours-Monday off, so I take Tues-Wed as my personal days, so my kids and I only miss 2 days of school. It was more crowded last year than the year before, but manageable with a plan. Previously we had gone Veteran's Day week, which has also become increasingly crowded. I didn't think Thanksgiving was any worse than that.

Teacher here too! This year will be our 2nd Thanksgiving trip. Last one we arrived on the Thursday prior and stayed until the Friday after. This year is a little shorter...arrive on Friday before and head out day before Turkey Day. We love it! Perfect kickoff to the Christmas season!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter