Talk to me about coffee onboard...

I will say this: the coffee onboard is definitely better than that crap they serve at WDW!! The only way I can drink that stuff is to make my own rigged up mocha = nescafe + hot chocolate + cream!! :tongue:

I will say this: the coffee onboard is definitely better than that crap they serve at WDW!! The only way I can drink that stuff is to make my own rigged up mocha = nescafe + hot chocolate + cream!! :tongue:

I spend more than half my life enduring hotel coffee. It can't be worse than that!

Hmmm, it's pretty gnarly! When I'm at conferences in hotels for work, I generally can tolerate the coffee pretty well. The WDW stuff is chemical-tasting sludge attempting to mask itself as coffee!! I tell my DH that he is not allowed to claim he's from Seattle because he actually likes that stuff!!! :scared1: It's not nearly so bad as that on the ship, thankfully! But I generally end-up splitting a punch-card with my mom in one of the cafes

Hmmm, it's pretty gnarly! When I'm at conferences in hotels for work, I generally can tolerate the coffee pretty well. The WDW stuff is chemical-tasting sludge attempting to mask itself as coffee!! I tell my DH that he is not allowed to claim he's from Seattle because he actually likes that stuff!!! :scared1: It's not nearly so bad as that on the ship, thankfully! But I generally end-up splitting a punch-card with my mom in one of the cafes

We had our company annual meeting / 20th anniversary celebration at the Grand Floridian last year. I don't remember the coffee there (I think it was Joffrey's?) being awful. I never had it in any of the parks; maybe it's different? Or maybe I'm just mis-remembering?

If you happen to be sailing concierge -the machine in there is wonderful. My fave. If not, Cove Cafe. If I don't want to pay-room service, self service. Tolerable. Not a coffee snob and don't get too wound up about it. It's vacation after all!

If you happen to be sailing concierge -the machine in there is wonderful. My fave. If not, Cove Cafe. If I don't want to pay-room service, self service. Tolerable. Not a coffee snob and don't get too wound up about it. It's vacation after all!

Heh. No Concierge for this cruise - or, likely any cruise this side of retirement.

I'll try it all, though. I'm pretty good about managing expectations (e.g. I'm not expecting fresh-roasted Black Rifle Coffee that I grind right before brewing in a press pot; when I'm in the mood for that kind of coffee snobbery, I get my fix at home), and, as you said: it's vacation!

Heh. No Concierge for this cruise - or, likely any cruise this side of retirement.

I'll try it all, though. I'm pretty good about managing expectations (e.g. I'm not expecting fresh-roasted Black Rifle Coffee that I grind right before brewing in a press pot; when I'm in the mood for that kind of coffee snobbery, I get my fix at home), and, as you said: it's vacation!

Right-nothing beats my french press with freshly ground Kona. Oh well- we live and well on the ship. It's a shock to the system to come home and find no one to set up the buffet!

Is the free coffee from the stations decent?
It depends on what you normally drink. To me, it tastes like hot water, but at home, I make such dark, thick coffee that my husband says he needs a knife and fork to drink it. I end up buying espresso drinks in Cove Cafe. I do drinks lots of the free mint tea, though.

It depends on what you normally drink. To me, it tastes like hot water, but at home, I make such dark, thick coffee that my husband says he needs a knife and fork to drink it. I end up buying espresso drinks in Cove Cafe. I do drinks lots of the free mint tea, though.

I did notice both chamomile and peppermint teas available. The combination of the two just so happens to be one of my go-to evening drinks.

Also: if coffee doesn't require a knife and fork, is it even worth drinking? :)

We took Starbucks Via coffee with us last Sept. for our 18-night B2B and survived. Coffee on the Magic and Fantasy has been bad...may still be, except in the Cove Café. Each morning I would get up, go topside and get two cups of hot water, return to room (handles in hallway are great for placing cups while you fumble for KTTW card), dump in the Via and have at it.

Coffee at the free station is decent, but since it's free so I can't complain. When we were on the Magic my girlfriend grabbed coffee from the Promenade Lounge a couple times and she said it was excellent from there. Of course from places like that it costs money.

No sure if it is just because it is fresher usually, the after dinner coffee in the main dining rooms was a pleasant surprise. Or we had it built up that it was going to be so bad.....

We bring our own coffee and french press from home, and we supplement with the Americano at Cove Cafe. It is quite good.

If you go to Remy, try their coffee. It is DIVINE!!

I treated myself to a Cove Cafe coffee once a day. I tried the Americano, Cappucino and settled on the Lattes. I'm not a huge coffee fan, so I didn't like the 'free' stuff.

Thanks everyone! Seems like I'll be sending hubby on a lot of errands to the cafes! Do they allow take-out there or do you have to drink it there?

On the subject of coffee, what are the cream options? Is it just the tiny shelf-stable half-and-halfs, or can you get fresh cream in the MDRs?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter