Talk to me about going in a boot

lillykat

DIS Veteran
We will know better next week what her restrictions will be when we see the ortho again but we are supposed to go the week of the 21st. People are telling me I need to get a DAS pass, but then I see they won’t give them for this. So tell me what I need to know about traveling in a boot. DD is 11 if that makes a difference. Did you rent a wheelchair on or off site. Suggestions for a place off site and approximate cost? Is it miserable? Should we cancel? Will they let her on the rides in a walking boot? How does one keep it dry?This will be our first trip in 5 years. We are also going to Universal for 2 nights prior to WDW. We are staying onsite. Someone suggested a scooter where you put your knee on it but those look uncomfortable for distances. I also have a 9 year old. I hate to cancel because they are looking forward to it and rescheduling will be very difficult, but if it going to be miserable all week and few rides available to her it might not make sense. This might be our last trip for a while. We are staying onsite at POFQ.

Last edited:
I had to wear a walking boot on a work trip a couple years ago. Just navigating the airport was quite a challenge and on the way home I had to get wheelchair assistance to help with that.

For Disney, if she was an adult I would recommend an ECV, but since she is a child they won't rent them to her. So a wheelchair.

Renting from an offsite vendor will mean she has it at the resort and for the buses, which can be important becuase those can be some long walks.

I haven't rented from them yet, but will be renting from Gold Mobility Scooters ( ********************************/ ) for my next trip. There are threads about them in these forums and they have universally excellent reviews. They rent ECVs, strollers, wheelchairs.

Since she can walk, she should be fine with most rides.

When I was in my boot I got a waterproof cover for it from Amazon. The one I got is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLLG9XY and it worked great. Note: It gets hot inside the boot without it and REALLY hot with it. BRING EXTRA of the "socks" you wear inside the boot. She will want to change them out as they are going to get all sweaty [and stinky] :-) And be prepared to wash the socks out each night -- in FL they may not dry overnight, so have at least one extra -- so bring some laundry detergent for that task. If you want to get fancy, a Scrubba wasg bag is great to take on trips -- no more using dubious hotel sinks for handwashing clothes: https://thescrubba.com/ .

Finally, are you flying ? If so: my boot had air bladders in it that you fill to adjust the fit. Well, physics means those air bladders will inflate MORE as the plane ascends. Except I forgot that and got on the plane... As the plane was increase in altitude I suddenly felt lots of pain in the boot leg as the bladders expanded and put way too much pressure on me. I realized what was wrong and scrambled to deflate the air bladders, not an easy feat while seatbelted in an economy seat. Lesson learned: once you board the plane and are seated, deflate the air bladder [keep the boot itself on]. When you get to cruising altitude you can inflate it to the proper level. When the plane lands, adjust the inflation as it will have compressed and need more air before you go walking on it. Then you are good to go.

SW

How big is the 11 year old? Would she be more comfortable in a stroller? If you go the wheelchair route, try to get the smallest one possible so she'll be comfortable.

DAS is not for mobility issues, BTW, and not being able to walk is a mobility issue.

I would get a wheelchair for her. She doesn’t have to sit all the time, but she will tire more quickly with the boot and the w/c gives her s place to sit and rest without the whole party stopping. The vast majority of queues are “mainstreamed” meaning a wheelchair can go through the regular (standby or FP) queue. For a few there is a pull-off to avoid stairs, and a couple others will direct you to an alternate entrance, possibly issuing a “wheelchair return” time like a FP.

If you are afraid of getting it wet, you could use a plastic bag. I know you can buy a “waterproof cast cover” but I don’t know if similar is available for a boot.

Enjoy your vacation!

Sorry to hear that. I don't have much information for you but we did go to Uni with my daughter in a wrist splint and the only ride that was an absolute no go (for the splint and would also apply to a boot) was Hulk. They won't let her ride it unless she can take the boot off. The other rides it depends on how it fits in the ride, etc. There may be other rides that don't allow a boot that did allow the splint. The rider guide below spells out most restrictions. I did find the paragraph on the Hulk unclear (it seemed like it depended on how it fit in the ride) but the sign in front of the ride is very clear and the TMs (when we first tried to go on after reading only the rider guide and being confused) were polite but completely firm on it (in Nov).

https://www.universalorlando.com/webdata/k2/en/us/files/Documents/universal-orlando-riders-guide.pdf

I would look and see if Disney has a similar guide.

Sorry to hear about your little one. Get a wheelchair from off site so that you have it with you all the time. Is the number of thing I can think of to do.

I haven't rented from them yet, but will be renting from Gold Mobility Scooters ( ********************************/ ) for my next trip. There are threads about them in these forums and they have universally excellent reviews. They rent ECVs, strollers, wheelchairs
This is one instance where Gold isn't the right choice. They only have adult-size wheelchairs. Choose Walker https://walkermobility.com/rentals/wheelchairs/ or OMR https://www.orlandomedicalrentals.com/medical-equipment-rentals-orlando.asp

I had to wear a boot for almost a month back in 2015. Although I got to where I could move pretty fast with the boot and my cane, there's no way I would want to wear a boot at WDW. I would get a wheel chair for her.

I had to wear a walking boot on a work trip a couple years ago. Just navigating the airport was quite a challenge and on the way home I had to get wheelchair assistance to help with that.

For Disney, if she was an adult I would recommend an ECV, but since she is a child they won't rent them to her. So a wheelchair.

Renting from an offsite vendor will mean she has it at the resort and for the buses, which can be important becuase those can be some long walks.

I haven't rented from them yet, but will be renting from Gold Mobility Scooters ( ********************************/ ) for my next trip. There are threads about them in these forums and they have universally excellent reviews. They rent ECVs, strollers, wheelchairs.

Since she can walk, she should be fine with most rides.

When I was in my boot I got a waterproof cover for it from Amazon. The one I got is this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LLLG9XY and it worked great. Note: It gets hot inside the boot without it and REALLY hot with it. BRING EXTRA of the "socks" you wear inside the boot. She will want to change them out as they are going to get all sweaty [and stinky] :-) And be prepared to wash the socks out each night -- in FL they may not dry overnight, so have at least one extra -- so bring some laundry detergent for that task. If you want to get fancy, a Scrubba wasg bag is great to take on trips -- no more using dubious hotel sinks for handwashing clothes: https://thescrubba.com/ .

Finally, are you flying ? If so: my boot had air bladders in it that you fill to adjust the fit. Well, physics means those air bladders will inflate MORE as the plane ascends. Except I forgot that and got on the plane... As the plane was increase in altitude I suddenly felt lots of pain in the boot leg as the bladders expanded and put way too much pressure on me. I realized what was wrong and scrambled to deflate the air bladders, not an easy feat while seatbelted in an economy seat. Lesson learned: once you board the plane and are seated, deflate the air bladder [keep the boot itself on]. When you get to cruising altitude you can inflate it to the proper level. When the plane lands, adjust the inflation as it will have compressed and need more air before you go walking on it. Then you are good to go.

SW

This is one instance where Gold isn't the right choice. They only have adult-size wheelchairs. Choose Walker https://walkermobility.com/rentals/wheelchairs/ or OMR https://www.orlandomedicalrentals.com/medical-equipment-rentals-orlando.asp

She was not told to inflat hers, just to put in on and off. They did not give us a sock. I will look into getting some. They just put it on her bare foot bec she can’t move her foot to get a sock on right now and it is still really swollen. Not sure wha5 size chair she will need. She is almost 12. 5’3” and about 102 lbs. Do you know if they will deliver to universal, then pick up from a Disney resort? We plan to go to Universal on arrival day, and we have plans at the MK on our departure day since our flight isn’t until 8pm.

She was not told to inflat hers, just to put in on and off. They did not give us a sock. I will look into getting some. They just put it on her bare foot bec she can’t move her foot to get a sock on right now and it is still really swollen. Not sure wha5 size chair she will need. She is almost 12. 5’3” and about 102 lbs. Do you know if they will deliver to universal, then pick up from a Disney resort? We plan to go to Universal on arrival day, and we have plans at the MK on our departure day since our flight isn’t until 8pm.
for the wheel chair when you call to get it let the person know how tall and how much she weights I think the 16 would be of for her but they can also give you some advice,

you might have to have the wheelchair dropped off at universal and then another dropped off for you Disney trip ( you might have to have two reservation for the wheelchair. if it folds they may let you bring it with you and do a universal drop-off and a Disney pick up but you will have to talk to whomever you rent from

No need to cancel your trip! I agree with the other posters above- get your gal a child-size wheelchair. If she's able to transfer from the chair to the ride vehicle, she should be able to ride just about anything. My DH was in a walking boot for several months after breaking his foot and used one of the hand-maneuver scooters- they're deceptively difficult to control and take a LOT of energy to get from A to B. A wheelchair is her best bet. If the weather looks to be super warm, invest in one of those clip-on fans- sitting in a chair gets you hot faster than you would if you were constantly moving!

Another "pro tip" we learned about the inflatable walking boot: if it gets hot/itchy/uncomfortable at night, his ortho recommended a hair dryer on the "cool" setting to air things out and provide some relief.

Enjoy your vacation!

I would say a wheelchair makes the most sense since an ECV is out of the question due to age. I would recommend renting offsite and more specifically from Gold Mobility and I would call rather than book online as they can guide you further on what would be the best fit and may even be able to give you more tips than those on here even know.

I would say a wheelchair makes the most sense since an ECV is out of the question due to age. I would recommend renting offsite and more specifically from Gold Mobility and I would call rather than book online as they can guide you further on what would be the best fit and may even be able to give you more tips than those on here even know.
Gold dose not rent small wheelchair and since she is 11 I would think a smaller wheelchair would work better for her

Gold dose not rent small wheelchair and since she is 11 I would think a smaller wheelchair would work better for her

See this is what I am trying to figure out. I notice Disney recommends 3 or 4 companies but they have 1 or two only. But looking online it seems she is too big for a child’s size. She is 5’3” and about 100 lbs. I also want to make sure that I can get it delivered to the hard rock bell services so we can go straight to the parks as we don’t get to the hotel until around 12/12:30, then picked up at POFQ. Since we will be going to the parks our last day then a late pick up from ME I want to make sure I can leave it will bell services. I understand like with stroller rentals only certain companies can leave it with bell services.

See this is what I am trying to figure out. I notice Disney recommends 3 or 4 companies but they have 1 or two only. But looking online it seems she is too big for a child’s size. She is 5’3” and about 100 lbs. I also want to make sure that I can get it delivered to the hard rock bell services so we can go straight to the parks as we don’t get to the hotel until around 12/12:30, then picked up at POFQ. Since we will be going to the parks our last day then a late pick up from ME I want to make sure I can leave it will bell services. I understand like with stroller rentals only certain companies can leave it with bell services.
Your best bet is to call the company and ask them what size will work best for you/ her. Since you want it delivered and left at bell service that leaves some out @SueM in MN might know how to tell what size wheelchair will work better for your DD

See this is what I am trying to figure out. I notice Disney recommends 3 or 4 companies but they have 1 or two only.
Those companies are not "recommended", they are merely featured (not going into my usual rant this time ;)).

OP will have to, as gap2368 advises, contact each of the featured companies to determine what size wheelchairs they rent.

One suggestion i’ve read for measuring seat size:
Put a large piece of paper on a chair like a kitchen or dining room chair.
Have her sit on it.
Use a pencil to run along both sides of her butt/hips/thighs, drawing 2 lines on the paper.
Have her stand up.
Measure the widest distance between the lines.

As for which company can use Bell
Services... last I looked, i don’t think any of the WDW “Featured” providers offer smaller sized wheelchairs. But you can check. Most offer “standard” which could become very uncomfortable for her to use multiple days in a row. I would make size and comfort a priority over delivery method. You will either have to call the vendors or cross-reference info from Universal to know what companies may deliver via their Bell services. Meeting the delivery person is fairly easy to coordinate.

Enjoy your vacation!

OP, If you have to rent a "standard" or adult sized chair for her, be sure to ask the rental company about bringing out a gel cushion to help make the seat comfortable.

Bring along a brightly colored ribbon or bandana to tie on the handlebars - helps it stand out in a literal sea of similar rentals!

If the rental has the old hard plastic ribbed hand grips on the handlebars, you may want to bring along a cheap pair of bike gloves or golf gloves; if it has the dense foam grips you should be OK - but watch your hands for signs of blisters.

Remember that the average family travels between 3 & 10 miles PER DAY at WDW; she may want to try and self-propel, but her arms won't be ready for it, so make sure there is someone ready to push her. :)

FYI I went in a boot 2013 and was convinced I could do it all...My BFF INSISTED I rent a WC as back up..... I didn't even make it to the resort ROOM before I wanted the chair!!! I'm 5'1" 125# and I used the kids chair from walker mobility and it was GREAT! Get. The. Chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter