Talk to me about kids shoes

dez1978

DIS Veteran
For the love of all things holy, please give me some suggestions on shoes for middle school boys that last longer than 2 months. Every freaking pair of shoes I've bought my 9 & 12 year old boys the last couple of years have fallen apart in less than 3 months. I'd totally get them cheap walmart shoes, except our walmart sucks and the only shoes they have are the kid that would def get my kid made fun of endlessly. I'm talking dad shoes, or old man velcro white shoes. And with growing kids, they kind of need to try them on, so online is a pain. The last pair I got my kid is a pair of Nikes, that were like $100 (he had to pay half), in mid Feb. The sole is already coming apart. My other kid had a pair of Pumas that I got at the same time and they are ripped up too. So does anyone have a tried and true brand of sneakers/tennis shoes that actually hold up? I wouldn't mind spending the $ if they actually lasted, but dang. I do try to shop clearance and buy a size up if I can find shoes they like on sale, but thats getting harder lately.

No advice on one particular shoe. My daughter had Vans that lasted a while. But canvas with boys ... :confused3

The only thing I can suggest to save money is going to places like Shoe Carnival when they have the B1G1 half off - which seems to be always going on. lol

That and websites like 6pm.com and nordstromrack.com. I have found shoes at really good prices there. But beware, returns aren't free at 6pm, and you have to go back to brick and mortar for free returns at Nordstrom Rack.

Both my boys wore docksiders to HS almost everyday (uniform) and they held up well w/ daily wear and stretched a bit in terms of size lasting longer than a few months. As far as being harder on them, honestly you need to spend the money on more substantial/quality type shoes. The hard truth is some kids are hard on shoes and shoes don't last forever, so sometimes you gotta suck it up since chances are good they will wear them hard &/or outgrow them in 6 months or so for several years!

My boys were HARD on shoes, they played hard and worked hard. They went thru more work boots, sneakers, tennis sneakers, soccer cleats, docksiders, rubber boots, waders & hunting boots over the years than I could possibly count. I soon realized that the less expensive route wasn't always exactly that if I was replacing the footwear more often.

Both my boys wore docksiders to HS almost everyday (uniform) and they held up well w/ daily wear and stretched a bit in terms of size lasting longer than a few months. As far as being harder on them, honestly you need to spend the money on more substantial/quality type shoes. The hard truth is some kids are hard on shoes and shoes don't last forever, so sometimes you gotta suck it up since chances are good they will wear them hard &/or outgrow them in 6 months or so for several years!

My boys were HARD on shoes, they played hard and worked hard. They went thru more work boots, sneakers, tennis sneakers, soccer cleats, docksiders, rubber boots, waders & hunting boots over the years than I could possibly count. I soon realized that the less expensive route wasn't always exactly that if I was replacing the footwear more often.
But what shoes do you speak of that are more substantial quality? I feel like $100 on a pair of shoes is enough that they should be substantial and of good quality but clearly they are not. If there is a brand I should be looking for, I'm in! But it's apparently not Nike, Champion, Reebok, Puma, or Under Armor.
Docksiders are nice, but would look really out of place with my kids uniform of althetic shorts/pants and a hoodie :rotfl2:

No advice on one particular shoe. My daughter had Vans that lasted a while. But canvas with boys ... :confused3

The only thing I can suggest to save money is going to places like Shoe Carnival when they have the B1G1 half off - which seems to be always going on. lol

That and websites like 6pm.com and nordstromrack.com. I have found shoes at really good prices there. But beware, returns aren't free at 6pm, and you have to go back to brick and mortar for free returns at Nordstrom Rack.
Yeah, I suck at returning online things. Even to Amazon lol. So I avoid that for their shoes as it's always a toss up if they will fit or not. I have bought some from 6pm for myself, and maybe a pair of crocs from there for the kids.
The best pair thats held up were Converse, but now my oldest complains that the rubber along the edge rubs on his little toe so he won't wear them anymore. Its a shame bc those were indestructible.

We did a happy dance when our kids actually wore out a pair of shows. They outgrew them after 2 months.

But what shoes do you speak of that are more substantial quality? I feel like $100 on a pair of shoes is enough that they should be substantial and of good quality but clearly they are not. If there is a brand I should be looking for, I'm in! But it's apparently not Nike, Champion, Reebok, Puma, or Under Armor.
Well honestly, that’s something you are going g to have to find out by trial & error, recommendations, research, and actual shopping around. Sorry- no magic brand is one size fits all for all kids!

What are the other moms of kids your age buying? Ask around your school community. My kids are long out of school….I can’t quite remember to be honest!
My husband is hard on shoes, too. He wears a lot of Columbia and oukai casual shoes. Clarks, and Brooks sneakers.

My kids both like Brooks. They seem to be holding up to teenage boys well. They're not exactly cheap, but there is almost always a style on clearance.

Yeah, I suck at returning online things. Even to Amazon lol. So I avoid that for their shoes as it's always a toss up if they will fit or not. I have bought some from 6pm for myself, and maybe a pair of crocs from there for the kids.
The best pair thats held up were Converse, but now my oldest complains that the rubber along the edge rubs on his little toe so he won't wear them anymore. Its a shame bc those were indestructible.
Both my daughter and I agree with your oldest, Converse are not comfortable.

However, if he likes the look of Converse, Amazon has a knock off brand that my dd actually wears and finds comfortable. I know though, Amazon. 😬 She hasn't had them long, so no clue as to how they stand the test of time. But they were cheap! ;) (I think $26.99)

My son regularly destroyed Under Armor sneakers, but his last two have been Nike and they have held up. Since that doesn’t seem to be the case for you, I’m not sure. Personally, I wear Brooks for running and they hold up, but I’m not a preteen boy and they are pricey.

My only suggestion is to pick cheaper sneakers so that if you need to replace them often it doesn’t hurt as bad. Do you have a Shoe Carnival or some other discount footwear store near you?

It used to be Skechers for us but I think they’ve really gone downhill.

Sherry, Johnson&Murphey, even some of the Aldo stuff has really held up.

When my mother was a little girl up till she began elementary school she used to wear Thom McCann's shoes and they usually lasted her a long time and then after my grandmother saw how good Thom McCann's shoes were my aunts and uncles began wearing Thom McCann's shoes as well and Thom McCann's shoes really lasted a long time. I'm not sure if Thom McCann's Shoes still exists but Google them and you'll see what I mean

I think the quality of a lot of products has gone downhill in the last decade or so. More so today, and it’s 😬 as prices have gone up but we’re getting an inferior product.

Anyway, my son often wore Mizuno sneakers. (Technically they are a running shoe.) He also wore their baseball cleats (which get a lot of hard use). I can only remember one time one of the cleats ripped, otherwise he was able to wear [all of] them until he either outgrew them or they got old and dirty, etc. I peeked at Amazon and their reviews seem to still be mostly 4.5 stars, and they had some that were on sale/cheaper. Maybe you could try them.

I would show whatever you are planning to buy to your sons first, though, because, if they’re anything like my son, they’re particular about what sneakers they wear, and it all depends on how they dress.

I had luck for both boys with Saucony. My oldest (with wider, thicker feet) does well with Nike. My youngest has long narrow feet and Adidias fit him best...but I don't pay more than $50 for kids shoes. It really hurt to have to raise my price limit from $32. Last fall, my oldest (5th grade) was wearing a 5.5...in January he needed a 7. I was lucky that the wearing out and sizing out seemed to happen at the same time.

I also lucked out with some solid black women's Sketchers on clearance for band concerts. Women's sizes are 1.5-2 sizes larger than men's. If you wear a 7 in women's, a 5 or 5.5 in men's will fit and vice versa.

The truth is that some kids are really hard on shoes so it won’t matter that much what brand you buy. I don’t really understand it, but I worked in kids shoes for a while and I have one of those kids that is really hard on shoes (a smallish girl!) so I know that it’s true. The best think you can do is buy shoes that fit correctly and try to shop sales as much as you can. If you are looking beyond tennis shoes, my kid has recently gotten a pair of dr martens for school and those have lasted for her longer than any other shoe she’s ever had. But athletic shoes? Haven’t had much luck with any specific brand.

I have teens and they wear Ultraboosts by Adidas. They are expensive but they do seem to last. My 19 year old is going on 20 months with the same pair. They are white so I just throw them in the wash with bleach and they still look decent. My 16 year old tends to wear through the big toe but he’s had his for about a year and there is just a tiny hole in that spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter