Talk to me about pain and suffering!

Smokering

Earning My Ears
So yesterday my sister and I went to Rainbow's End, a rather underwhelming theme park in NZ. It was extremely un-busy so we got to ride several rides a few times in a row. There was a roller coaster, a few twisty rides, a few dark rides, a pirate ship, Motion Master, dome theatre, bumper boats, dodgems, a fear fall - several of the kinds of rides Disneyland has, albeit lower-budget.

By the second half the day we were feeling really queasy and had to pause between rides, alternate tame rides with things like the roller coaster, and generally try to make the most of the day without throwing up. :p By the end of the day my back and neck were aching and we both had headaches. Today, my back is bruised - I think from the roller coaster, which had fairly loose restraints.

Until then I hadn't even thought about pain or motion sickness in Disneyland! So. Tell me all. I realise we'll have a much larger gap between rides because of queues, and there will be a lot more non-ride attractions as well. Do you ever feel sick, banged about or headachey? Do you make a conscious effort to space out certain rides to avoid sickness/pain? If you're there for 4 days, does it get worse as the days go by? :scared:

Oh I feel your pain! Matterhorn throws me all over the place! I swear I get bruised and battered from that mountain. It's a once a trip ride for me, although they have new bobsleds not sure how those will feel :scared1: mickeys funwheel while seemingly nice and slow beware of the swinging cars, I don't know about others but I could yak easily. I only ride it once a year!
Teacups another yak maker. Once a year too!
Great thread! Hope you get lots of responses :wizard:

The main thing that usually hurts me are my feet.

Other than that, I don't generally feel that banged up by the rides. Well, CA Screamin' does slosh your brain around a wee bit, but just one ride on a given day is OK.

My brother and sister in law, who are younger, thinner, and in better shape than I, can barely walk out of Indiana Jones. I think it's because they hold on for dear life, stiffening their bodies up before the ride even starts. I sit up nicely, plant my feet, and keep my hands in my lap, and I just sort of go with the flow. I've actually felt *better* after the ride than I did before! :)

Queezy:
Teacups...but if I don't spin them I'm fine!
Star Tours...can make some a little queezy (but not me)

Bruised:
I seriously don't think I've ever come home bruised or banged up from the parks.
Indy is pretty rough (IMO)
Matterhorn...is jerky and you're not very secure...I love it and just brace myself!
Space Mountain & Screamin'...are fast but I've never felt thrown around (you're pretty snug)
MMadness is jerky...but I LOVE that ride (many don't)

Just my 2 cents, after typing this I guess I like these types of rides..hehehehe!! I LOVE Indy but everytime I get off I'm like WOW that was really jerky!!

The only rides that bother me are:

Indy (my back is always sore after this one)
Screamin' (only made me nauseous after riding twice in a row)
Mulhollond Madness (sore back again - very jerky)
Matterhorn (Tomorrowland side - sore back)

The Matterhorn gives me a headache because it is constant bumps on a hard seat. That is the only ride I've ever had trouble with and I'm hoping the new bobsleds help with that. Have to see. If that were a smooth ride, it would be awesome.

I get motion sickness sometimes and so does my youngest dd. we take non drowsy motion sickness medicine every morning.

I've never had that happen, but I don't really have any back problems either. It would take much more than the rides I go on, to injure it. I will say, I've only been on IJ, SM, SP, and MH, so maybe I just haven't been on any "big" ones yet.

I am prone to severe motion sickness. The Teacups made me green on the first day in the parks and was feeling rather green the remainder of the day. What helped me a great deal was Long Lasting Gravol. I took it before we left for the parks, and kept the nausea away for the entire day.

Star Tours is pretty rough, makes my mom sick to the point where she no longer goes on it.

Hmm. Anyone tried those anti-motion sickness wristbands? I've never used them, but I'd rather do that than taking drugs. Do they work for roller coasters? :p

Well... Before I decided to have ice cream before I went on California Screamin', I had never gotten sick or bruised on a Disneyland ride. Stupid me though thought it would be okay to have an ice cream before California Screamin', and this also happened to be the time where they were showing the premiere of Pirates of the Caribbean 2 at Disneyland. This meant a bunch of celebrities were at Disneyland, so California Adventures wasn't crowded since most people went to see the celebrities. :)

But it also meant the lines for rides were virtually non-existent. After that ice cream I went of Californai Screamin' like 4 or 5 times. Yeah... Let's just say that didn't end well. :laughing: And don't even get me started on how much feet get bruised and tired from walking everywhere.

The thought that Captain EO is back taking up prime real estate makes me wanna hurl. ;)

But really the only ride at DL that upsets my stomach is Star Tours and that's only if we are in the front row.

The only pain I experience at DL is my feet/legs/lower back hurting from all the walking. None of the rides bother me, except for maybe the bumpiness of the Matterhorn, but that only affects me while I'm on the ride, not after.

ETA: Ok, I just thought of something. While the teacups don't make me sick, my arms and fingers are like Jello after trying to spin that darn wheel for the duration of the ride. I hate how they tightened those things. :mad: Anyway, for some reason my middle fingers have trouble working for the rest of the day after I ride the teacups. :confused3

Don't laugh too hard....But Jumpin Jellyfish did me in! I rode screamin, tower of terror, thunder mountain railroad, etc... but the slow up and down that i could see how high off the ground i was- that did it for me! My 8 yr old laughed at me so hard!

As I've gotten older, I've developed motion sickness as well. I had problems with it during our '08 WDW trip. So last year, I bought some ginger tablets at Whole Foods (I don't like the taste of ginger, so these are swallowable). They were like miracle pills! I took them in the morning and had no problem all day!

I feel the difference between a disney park and standard amusment park if what's know as jerk. I think Disney adds jerk where as, other parks try to remove it. As far as spinning forces most amusment parks rely on this heavily but Disney barely uses it at all.

At DLR I think the worst ride is teacups but I have little trouble with it. When my county fair comes to town on half the adult rides I need to be cautious of creating a protien spill.

I wouldn't expect much troubles. As the OP noted the pace will be slower at DL. And the really rough rides are few.

I'm wondering if the rides the OP is reffering to, would be more like Magic Mountain's or Knott's. The only ride comparable to theirs would be Screamin in my opinion. Most Disney attractions are pretty mild compared to those thrill rides. :faint:

With that said, I will share the ones that now make me feel funny.:sick: Tea cups, Mulholland Madness, and Mickey's Fun Wheel of Swinging Death. :eek::rotfl:

Compared to most amusement parks, Disney spends tons of money on the atmosphere and storyline that goes with their attractions. That is what make Disney so unique! So what might lack in thrills, is made up in a feast for the eyes. On many of the attractions, the queue has almost as much to see, as the ride itself. Indiana Jones is a great example of that. No one should skip this ride if at all possible. It is still the most expensive attraction ever built, and it shows. Gotta love it.

Have fun and just take each day easy. :cool1:

I'm wondering if the rides the OP is reffering to, would be more like Magic Mountain's or Knott's. The only ride comparable to theirs would be Screamin in my opinion. Most Disney attractions are pretty mild compared to those thrill rides. :faint:

Compared to most amusement parks, Disney spends tons of money on the atmosphere and storyline that goes with their attractions. That is what make Disney so unique! So what might lack in thrills, is made up in a feast for the eyes. On many of the attractions, the queue has almost as much to see, as the ride itself. Indiana Jones is a great example of that. No one should skip this ride if at all possible. It is still the most expensive attraction ever built, and it shows. Gotta love it.

:cool1:

Yeah Magic Mountain and knott's are more typical amusment park rides. The one big reason is that Disney uses WDI to build in house rides with only small parts outsourced. So they come out really customized for Disney's family guests. Other parks by all their rides from the same manufacturers and they are mostly designed for easy contruction and low cost so they can sell a lot.

Oh yeah the lines are great, this is really true at WDW and you can see it in DCA too. The Ques on TSMM and TOT are awesome campared to say the mazes on Small world and the submerines.

I've been on every ride with the exception of Mickey's Fun Wheel of Swinging Death ;) and the only rides that make me sick are the teacups and Star Tours. Even the Maliboomer and California Screamin' didn't make me sick. Now if we're talking anxiety, Soarin' over California and Tower of Terror almost put me into an anxiety attack but I make myself go on them. The one "ride" I stay away from and will never do again...the Tiki Room! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter