Talk to me about the skyliner.

We did not get a chance to ride the Skyliner on our last trip in May so we are super excited to try it next visit! We're leaning towards booking a Topolino's Character B'Fast or maybe a Sebastian's Dinner and make use of it then sice we won't be staying on the Skyliner route. How does it work when with lightning when there are gondolas enroute with passengers? Do they just hold all boarding until the line is cleard to wait out the lightning?

We did not get a chance to ride the Skyliner on our last trip in May so we are super excited to try it next visit! We're leaning towards booking a Topolino's Character B'Fast or maybe a Sebastian's Dinner and make use of it then sice we won't be staying on the Skyliner route. How does it work when with lightning when there are gondolas enroute with passengers? Do they just hold all boarding until the line is cleard to wait out the lightning?
Yes, they don't let anyone board, but they keep the lines running until all guests have disembarked, then they stop the lines until the lightning risk has passed.

Exactly. We will get a warning so many miles out. Most of the lines we can clear in five minutes. The longest line is ten minutes if we had too.
once the lightNing has passed a curtain point, they start to bring the system back up to get things powered up and system checks start. As long as everything checks out, we can start boarding. Once you see the cabins start moving, takes about 15-20 minutes to get the okay.
I am curious to know, someone told me that the Skyliner and the monorail are both subject to the same weather rules, so if the monorail is closed due to lightning then the Skyliner would be as well. It seems to make sense but was just wondering if that's the general rule.

I am curious to know, someone told me that the Skyliner and the monorail are both subject to the same weather rules, so if the monorail is closed due to lightning then the Skyliner would be as well. It seems to make sense but was just wondering if that's the general rule.

Last edited:
I was one of the doubters, but the skyline has worked pretty well.
MUCH cheaper to run and enlarge than other options.
It can move a lot of people at one time. My guess would be the monorail would be the next form of transportation as far as how many people they can move.
Monorail system is very expensive to build.
Im sure there is a number of how much it cost to move one person from point A to point B via bus, boat, monorail and Skyliner along with an entire breakdown on every aspect.
It would be cool to see.

Hey @dvczerfs...I'm seeing a discussion on a FB group where a family is staying offsite for a few days and then transferring to AoA. Their plan is to take themselves and all their luggage on their offsite hotel's shuttle to DHS and then hop on Skyliner with all of their luggage to get to AoA and check in. Yeah.... I'm guessing there is a policy about not taking luggage on Skyliner, no? I'm guessing their off-site hotel isn't going to let them drag all of their luggage on the shuttle to begin with, so taking it on Skyliner is probably a moot point anyway. This plan has disaster written on it in so many ways....

Hey @dvczerfs...I'm seeing a discussion on a FB group where a family is staying offsite for a few days and then transferring to AoA. Their plan is to take themselves and all their luggage on their offsite hotel's shuttle to DHS and then hop on Skyliner with all of their luggage to get to AoA and check in. Yeah.... I'm guessing there is a policy about not taking luggage on Skyliner, no? I'm guessing their off-site hotel isn't going to let them drag all of their luggage on the shuttle to begin with, so taking it on Skyliner is probably a moot point anyway. This plan has disaster written on it in so many ways....
Paging @dvczerfs (Skyliner CM), but I’m fairly certain luggage is not allowed on the Skyliner.

Last edited:
Yeah, to beat a dead horse at this point: you can think of "The" Skyliner as actually three completely separate Skyliners. The three lines are wholly independent and operate separately from each other. They stop and go at different times, one could be down for maintenance and the other two could continue operating, etc. All three, however terminate at the CBR station. So regardless of where you're coming from (Pop/HS/EP), you literally have to get off at CBR, walk across the station, and get in another line to board a different one that goes to your destination (unless your destination is CBR of course).

if Walt thought skyliner was Disney he would have installed it himself. We are a monorail family and always will be.

View attachment 690742

just sayin. Lol
Im also a monorail person. I love all the cms and the work they do.
it’s not as easy as it looks.

Attachments

• DC246299-0F73-4F78-A6D5-727B387A104E.jpeg
    DC246299-0F73-4F78-A6D5-727B387A104E.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 12
  • 6842F757-4F95-42AB-A02A-37BACDD142FC.jpeg
    6842F757-4F95-42AB-A02A-37BACDD142FC.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Exactly. We will get a warning so many miles out. Most of the lines we can clear in five minutes. The longest line is ten minutes if we had too.
once the lightNing has passed a curtain point, they start to bring the system back up to get things powered up and system checks start. As long as everything checks out, we can start boarding. Once you see the cabins start moving, takes about 15-20 minutes to get the okay.

When they start getting people off the EP line due to lightning, do they make them get off at RIV to double the speed it's being evacuated? Or do they let people get all the way to their final destination? If they're forced off at RIV, is it pretty troublesome to get them back on once the Skyliner comes back up?

Yeah, to beat a dead horse at this point: you can think of "The" Skyliner as actually three completely separate Skyliners. The three lines are wholly independent and operate separately from each other. They stop and go at different times, one could be down for maintenance and the other two could continue operating, etc. All three, however terminate at the CBR station. So regardless of where you're coming from (Pop/HS/EP), you literally have to get off at CBR, walk across the station, and get in another line to board a different one that goes to your destination (unless your destination is CBR of course)

Last edited:
When they start getting people off the EP line due to lightning, do they make them get off at RIV to double the speed it's being evacuated? Or do they let people get all the way to their final destination? If they're forced off at RIV, is it pretty troublesome to get them back on once the Skyliner comes back up?

Last edited:
@dvczerfs - So here's a screenshot of what I see as your reply to my post. There are 2 other responses to other posters that look the same (no visible response text). Really weird. Then there's a 4th response that appears normally. Super weird. :D So all this to say, I have no idea if you meant to respond....or if there's some glitch and I can't see your response....or if you're politely telling me to go away. :D

1659736737653.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter