Talking chicken- leftovers with few ingredients

LuvOrlando

DIS Veteran
I love the recipe thread but I don't have the luxury of gathering ingredients at the store so maybe a few offshoots would be good right now.

I was able to grab a giant bag of frozen chicken breast when I realized it would be tough to find meat but I am running out of ideas.
I have done the baked chicken, detach meat leftovers, make chicken salad put the bones aside (collect all other veggie bits from the few days before and simmer - my cousins after thanksgiving go to) make soup cycle a bit but I want to keep my family from getting too restless.

Anyone have good recipes/ideas that have a few everyday ingredients since I stopped store runs & I'm trying to conserve.
Maybe an inventive soup? Pasta is tough to get though
I'm thinking maybe enchilada but with rice, not a wrap... unless there is a simple way to make my own wraps.

Our go-to leftover chicken meals include:
  • chicken ala king, served over toast
  • chicken & biscuits (either biscuits from a tube or I make them)
  • chicken quesadillas (if you have wraps)
  • chicken noodle soup (I toss in whatever leftover veggies I have too)
  • chicken & rice soup (I toss in whatever leftover veggies I have too)
  • spaghetti & chicken (chicken tossed into the pasta sauce instead of beef, or cook it as a casserole dish in the oven)

One of our favorites is oven fried chicken. Heat oven to 425. Melt 1/2 stick of butter in dish in oven. Take raw chicken (I use boneless skinless breasts or thighs) and dredge in cream of mushroom soup followed by breadcrumbs. Put in 13x9 pan with melted butter and bake for one hour, uncovered (or til done).

I love the recipe thread but I don't have the luxury of gathering ingredients at the store so maybe a few offshoots would be good right now.

I was able to grab a giant bag of frozen chicken breast when I realized it would be tough to find meat but I am running out of ideas.
I have done the baked chicken, detach meat leftovers, make chicken salad put the bones aside (collect all other veggie bits from the few days before and simmer - my cousins after thanksgiving go to) make soup cycle a bit but I want to keep my family from getting too restless.

Anyone have good recipes/ideas that have a few everyday ingredients since I stopped store runs & I'm trying to conserve.
Maybe an inventive soup? Pasta is tough to get though
I'm thinking maybe enchilada but with rice, not a wrap... unless there is a simple way to make my own wraps.

How about chicken parm? Jarred tomato of any type (marinana, tomato sauce, even diced tomato blended) and any Italian cheease (mozza, parm, provolone, etc) over chicken that you slice thinly, bread with anything (bread crumbs, stale bread, etc and an egg wash), and precook in a pan with olive oil...and then top with the tomato and cheese and bake...

Or chicken pot pie...any veg you like sauteed in butter, add cooked chicken s&p and some thyme/rosemary, dose in flour and stir...then add equal parts broth and milk product (I use dairy free, but anything works)...put in a 9x13 and add a pie crust on top (or jarred biscuits or homemade anything)...bake...pioneer women's leftover turkey pot pie gives an inspiration...

Or chicken fajita bowls - any fresh or jarred veg, some fajita or taco seasoning, jarred salsa or sour cream over rice (lettuce/tomato/cheese optional)...

Buffalo chicken in crockpot. Frozen breasts, tbsp butter, envelope ranch seasoning or can use ranch salad dressing and hot sauce. At the end .i sometimes add cream cheese. Shred and serve.

Can use it on top of baked potatoes, in tortillas, on pizza, in Quesadillas, etc..

My go to meals with chicken breast are:

Fajitas or tacos (have had each in the last 2 weeks...no issues finding bell peppers, onions, tortillas, or salsa around here)

Grilled and used for salads (I buy those Taylor salad kits in different flavors and add chicken)

Homemade chicken nuggets (all you need is egg, flour, breadcrumbs and oil for frying)

Blackened cajun chicken (I shred it up and add it to Zatarains boxed jambalaya sometimes)

Teriyaki Chicken with rice and broccoli

Marinade in Greek salad dressing and grill. Serve in warm pitas with a relish made from red onions, bell peppers, black olives, pepperoncini, and more greek dressing.

I have been able to find all the ingredients for these meals readily in my stores. At this point, the best thing to do is do some meal planning and make one big shop every 2 weeks, buying all the ingredients you will need so you always have everything on hand.

Thanks for the recipes! Soooo many good ideas. Those who mention meals without recipes if it's a thing you can add please do, or maybe just some guesstimate hints on amounts and such :) I need to go cabinet diving I think and see what I have. My town is on stay-at-home orders and we seem to be having a bit of a swell so I am not moving. Time to be creative.

I have been really bothered about not having any yeast so I'm glad I can make some pie crust and give a homey feel to some dishes.

cheezits chicken. spread mayo/hot sauce mixture on chicken and then dunk or sprinkle cheezits on it. baked until done. family loves it. it's really good. i think you can use potato chips, etc. as well.

Thanks for the recipes! Soooo many good ideas. Those who mention meals without recipes if it's a thing you can add please do, or maybe just some guesstimate hints on amounts and such :) I need to go cabinet diving I think and see what I have. My town is on stay-at-home orders and we seem to be having a bit of a swell so I am not moving. Time to be creative.

I have been really bothered about not having any yeast so I'm glad I can make some pie crust and give a homey feel to some dishes.
Google NO YEAST bread. Tons of recipes come up!😊

I always cook extra chicken and extra rice. Chicken fried rice is great. It's a great way to use up bits of leftovers too.

So I want to say I do cook BUT I was feeling really stressed and whipped up a meal that, well, wasn't great but my kids ate it without complaint. I THINK it could be better. I wanted chicken pot pie but don't have creamed chicken so I made a roux then added chicken broth - which apparently doesn't sit well because although it tasted ok it got REALLY gummy - too much flour I'm sure so I need a rule of thumb ratio I think. I mixed it with poultry seasoning and sauteed onions, a half can of peas and carrots then dropped some chopped chicken in it. I wanted to do the pie crust but was getting anxious so I put on top of potatoes. I have been using more potatoes since weight watchers and they make most things better. BUT, with the steadily gluing soup base it was too heavy. I do love my kids for braving it and thanking me :) Tomorrow will be better

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter