• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tamu Tamu Breakfast & Discovery Cove Wedding ~ 12/10/12 ~ Start of Day 2

You are so funny with your comma OCD!
Argh! I need to quit reading planning journals/trip reports! I've already been planning a GUEST PAID farewell character meal and then heading to AK after with any guests that want to come....now I'm thinking I could just pay for a brunch like you did with a ride mix in! :rotfl2:
Such a bad influence!
I'm off to go look at your pics - I can't see them at work, so I have to use the iphone app.

I've had a big, fat monkey wrench thrown into my cake plans. I contacted It's Tasty Too a week ago to see about doing our wedding cake. Today I get an email back saying they are completely booked for that week :(. I called two other bakeries and got the same thing. I'm not too upset about it as it's just really for the two of us to enjoy, but I still want us to have the ceremonial wedding cake!

I thought about getting Disney to do our wedding cake for our dinner at Jiko, but I haven't been impressed with the cakes I've seen that come out of their bakery. I don't mind spending $200 on a cake, but I want it to blow me away!

With all that being said, I formulated a plan that probably sounds better in my head than will be implemented.

I'm getting Garden Grocer to deliver some groceries to Old Key West (breakfast items, soda, etc.). I thought, I'll throw in a thing of Duncan Hines vanilla frosting...

Then I remembered how much I LOVE the brownies at Earl of Sandwich. I love the brownie'wiches even more, but there's never any guarantee that they'll be there (and my only chance to go to DTD before the wedding is Saturday night and they'll more than likely be sold out of them). I went to Earl of Sandwich's website and saw that for $20 you can pre-order any assortment of 10 brownies and/or cookies (even better! I get a few cookies out of the deal!).

Earl of Sandwich Brownie:

DSC00193-1-468x625.jpg

Source

I figure I'll take 4-6 brownies, slather them with frosting, and stack them. It shouldn't take me long to assemble our brownie wedding cake and will taste delicious. I don't know if I'd be going this route, though, if it was more than just the two us eating it :lmao:.

Oh, and I ordered this cute little wedding cake topper from Etsy:

il_570xN.317007758.jpg

Two Peas in a Pod!

I may still do a mini wedding cake for our dinner at California Grill on the last night of our honeymoon, but I wanted something to at least have on our actual wedding day. And to have an excuse to pick up brownies from Earl of Sandwich in the future... ;)

Our wedding cake knife I actually bought years ago (right after reading lurkyloo's wedding PJ/TR and hearing that they had been discontinued)). I bought the blue one (they come in several colors and you can still find them on Ebay). Now all I have to do is find where I put it :).
AAAAC7aGDHIAAAAAABKbgQ.jpg

**On a personal note, I finished the marathon yesterday with a time of 5:22! I'm so glad it's over and now I feel like I can turn all my attention fully to this wedding. I have a big planning phone call with Discovery Cove this week!

I ended up doing a similar thing for our vow renewal last year. I had groceries delivered and made my own 3 tier cake out of the bakeware in our OKW villa! I had a lovely topper and some sprinkles. It turned out great and tasted amazing. I look forward to hearing about yours.

Love the update! Sounds like your welcome breakfast was a real hit, and glad that despite the hiccups at the beginning of the morning, everything seemed to work out!

Those tablecloths are totally fabulous too, that's too awesome that they were just there!

Looking forward to more!

Hi Neverland

I have absolutely loved reading your PJ about your wedding in discovery cove, it sounds just perfect!

I was hoping to also get married there but I contacted them through the sea world website asking for their current wedding packages and they emailed me saying they can't do weddings at any of their parks as they don't have a licence. I know of a few people who have got married there so I don't know how this could be the case. How did you first contact them regarding your wedding and who did you deal with there? Did you have to do anything to get around the fact they don't have a licence for weddings?

Any advice you could give me would be great as I will be heart broken if I can't have my dream wedding there!

Thank you so much :)

Hello everyone! Sorry for such a long delay on updating my TR :( I'm trying to gather pictures from the trip (especially the day before our wedding) from different family members. Also, I recently started working for an attorney that left our firm and I work exclusively from home so that has been a real change to my lifestyle! Hopefully, everything will calm down soon and I'll get another update out as soon as possible!

Shawny122, I went to Discovery Cove's website and clicked on the "Contact Us" button and, I believe, I just filled out the form with the Subject "Special Occasion Package" and/or I emailed the generic email address they have listed: DCO-GuestRelations@DiscoveryCove.com and someone emailed me back with the package info. If you don't hear anything back, let me know and I'll give you the email address of the people I dealt with (although, they seem to have a lot of people that move jobs back and forth between Sea World and Discovery Cove).

One of the Discovery Cove people told me that they only do a handful of weddings a year. We went to Sea World later in our trip and we told some Sea World employees that we had been married at Discovery Cove and they seemed in awe and that they'd never heard of weddings being done there :confused3.

Oh, and if you want to skip ahead of my next update, a wonderful Disney bride wrote up a great piece on my wedding for her website:

Discovery Cove Wedding on Destination South

But I promise I will eventually cover it here too! :)

ETA: I also wanted to add that I recently looked at discount admission to Discovery Cove again (for our upcoming trip in September). It looks like they bumped the $69 discounted day admission price to $99 with a Sea World or Platinum Season Pass and it's only available for about three months out of the year. If we had gotten married this December that would've been almost an extra $1,000! Still a great deal, IMO. It truly was the greatest day (and not just 'cause we got married ;)).

Yay! I just got caught up, and I love the story of your welcome breakfast. Now I really wish I'd crashed it, though, so I could taste these Best Mickey Waffles Ever...

**Oh, and P.S. I typed all this in Word and copied and pasted it over here. I've lost way too many posts before! However, apparently when I do that I lose apostrophe and quotation marks so use your IMAAAAAAAAGINAAAAAAATION! (that's supposed to be singing, not yelling

The same thing happened to me recently, and let me just tell you, it's pretty embarrassing when the apostrophe disappears from the contraction "who're"! :rotfl:

Breakfast sounds great bar guest delays. Hope you continue with your TR soon :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for the info Neverland. I have been in contact directly with the special occasions department of discovery cove and they have confirmed they still do weddings and most definitely do have a wedding licence! I've also had an apology from sea world and discovery cove that they gave me the wrong information, it seems that only a select few people within the sea world umbrella know about discovery cove weddings. Your PJ has been so helpful though and I can't thank you enough as if I hadn't found it I wouldn't have known to ask again when they said they couldn't do weddings. Looking forward to reading the rest of your trip report :)

Hello. I listen to Carrie's podcast. I also stalk the wedding boards as I plan in doing a vow renewal for my 20th in three years. I am married and have three kids. I must everything about a Disney wedding and wish that I had known when we originally got married in 1996 I so would have done it! I listened to the podcast and then subscribe to any PJ/TR that have links with them. I love all your plans so far and the welcome breakfast at Tamu Tamu sounds awesome. Looking forward to more updates.

Your wedding sounds amazing! I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts. We're planning a family holiday for 2016 (long time away but that's when I finish University) and we would like to get married while we're there and absolutely love the idea of doing it at Discovery Cove :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter