Tangaroa Terrace at The Polynesian

I ate there as a kid in the earlyish 80s. It was a stand-alone building, i think. Other than that, the only thing i remember was getting m&m pancakes with vanilla syrup. My mom always made healthy breakfasts so i was gobsmacked that you could eat candy in the morning!

(As a random follow-up, my family swore for years that i imagined those pancakes, until i ate brunch at boma a couple of months ago and there they were - m&m pancakes with vanilla sauce. I took a pic to prove they were real! And also booked 2 boma brunches for my next trip. : ) )

It was a great restaurant for breakfast - banana-stuffed French Toast! :love: It was a large space. We had dinner there a few times too...in those days (early 8o’s) there were far fewer restaurants to choose from. There is still a Tangaroa Terrace at the Disneyland Hotel.

We had the pleasure prior to its closing in the 90s. When we had dinner there (1995 or so), it was a Polynesian fare buffet. We enjoyed our dinner. Tangaroa Terrace closed soon thereafter. Over the years we saw special events being held there, but it never re-opened for the general public. A portion of it did house a small arcade and for a short period of time, there was an ice cream treat counter. Neverland Club was at the back portion of the building (near the current bus stop) and the laundry was around the corner from Neverland Club. It is/was certainly a multipurpose building.

The Tangaroa Terrace restaurant, which featured an Oriental buffet, closed in October 1996.

We loved Tangora Terrace in the late 80's early 90's. I remember my brother wearing a set of cardboard egg glasses he received from his breakfast there. It really was a great place. I loved the location too- away from the main building. What a gem.

From the 1995 Birnbaum's guide:

"Tangaroa Terrace: This sprawling establishment, on the eastern edge of the property near the Oahu longhouse, serves Mickey-shaped Belgium waffles with hot toppings (eggs and other more usual breakfast selections also are available a la carte or buffet-style). The dinner buffet features pasta, chicken, and salads; a la carte entrees include prime ribs, steaks, fresh seafood, and the Tangaroa family pizza dinner. Children's selections are available. Moderate."

Note: Yes, Belgium waffles, not Belgian.

I have such fond memories of dining at Tangaroa Terrace. I remember one night we went for an early dinner and were the only guests. Goofy and Mickey were there. Their handlers explained to us that they were in-training and would we mind their attention while they practiced interacting with guests. My then 4-year old daughter spent the entire evening dancing and twirling and having a blast with Mickey and Goofy. By herself! Magical indeed. :)
:mickeyjum:goofy:princess:

I stayed at Poly a decent amount as a young child in the 80’s, and remember the building housed an arcade on the right. It was decent sized, nothing like The Contemporary at the time. The middle was a snack bar, and the left was Tangaroa Terrace. I remember eating Mickey waffles from the buffet, but believe they offered an la carte menu, also.

I remember breakfasts there. at one point, they had a section where you could get made to order omelets --very popular. I really missed that place when it closed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter