Target- Disney Cards online question

audracooper

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know how it works when you buy the Disney giftcards online at Target? I have a extra 5% off pharmacy coupon that's only good online. I want to purchase Disney Cards with it but I was wondering how long it takes to get them in the mail? Or, do can you print some sort of code for them right when you buy them? Trying to time it right so that I can use them to pay off my trip in a couple weeks. Thanks!

I have bought online many times. They are sent through the mail. The last time I bought $500 and they were NOT activated. I used my Red Card Debit Card and the funds were taken from my checking account. I got the run around from Target.com and my local store could not help me. I was on the phone for 3 hours. They tried to tell me that it was Disney's responsibility to activate them and I would need to go to my nearest Disney Store. We have no Disney Store anywhere near here. Finally, someone I spoke to was able to activate 7 of the 10 cards. She said she would send a ticket for the rest and it would take 5 to 10 business days. This was on 08/30. I checked yesterday and the remaining 3 cards are still not activated, but Target's system is showing it is. I am out $150. I will never order gifts online again. If there is a store near you, I would buy them at the store. The six people I spoke to with Target.com to get this resolved were pretty much clueless regarding the activation of the cards.

Mollie Mooster said:
I have bought online many times. They are sent through the mail. The last time I bought $500 and they were NOT activated. I used my Red Card Debit Card and the funds were taken from my checking account. I got the run around from Target.com and my local store could not help me. I was on the phone for 3 hours. They tried to tell me that it was Disney's responsibility to activate them and I would need to go to my nearest Disney Store. We have no Disney Store anywhere near here. Finally, someone I spoke to was able to activate 7 of the 10 cards. She said she would send a ticket for the rest and it would take 5 to 10 business days. This was on 08/30. I checked yesterday and the remaining 3 cards are still not activated, but Target's system is showing it is. I am out $150. I will never order gifts online again. If there is a store near you, I would buy them at the store. The six people I spoke to with Target.com to get this resolved were pretty much clueless regarding the activation of the cards.

Has anyone else had this problem with Disney gift cards from Target.com NOT being activated?

Wow! I hate to hear that you had so much trouble with the cards! I would love to know if anyone else has had this issue. I have been buying many in the store over the past several months, but since I had this coupon for online only I hated not to use it. It will save me a lot when I use it with the redcard, but I certainly can't wait weeks and weeks for them! Thanks for your help.

I got scared after reading this. I never even thought about this!

I just checked $800 worth of cards purchased at various times between 8/22 and the most recent was 9/6. I checked all the balances using https://www.disneygiftcard.com/manage/ and they all say $50.

Is that accurate? I assumed if the card was not activated, it would tell me so!

Edited: All of these were purchased from Target online using a mix of Target GC and my Red Card.

Yes, I called the gift card number into my TA and when she called Disney to pay toward my balance, they told her it had not been activated. When I check on the Disney Gift Card website it says in red: Invalid Account. Card not activated by approved location. I have purchased them online before and never had a problem, but I'm not willing to take a chance again. I will just pick them up at our Target from now on. I hope Target.com eventually makes it right by activating the cards or refunding the $150.

That really stinks!
If Target's system is showing they are activated is there a way they can send you that confirmation and then you contact Disney directly using the number on the back of the gift card?

OP, I used GC's to pay for my trip, purchased half of them from Target online and never had an issue. Some shipments came within days, others within a week.

If you still can not get three cards activated. Take pics of the back of the cards, take screen shots of the invalid account on website. Call your CC company and tell them you want a charge back on the 150 dollars. Your other option is to go to your local target write them a check for some 1 dollar item. When it clears get a copy of the check. Then take target to small claims court. Show them what you have. You will win. Then the judge will freeze the account you wrote the check to. They will want to get that straightened out asap. I am not a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I have ordered $1000 worth of cards in the last month. Luckily I have not had a problem with any of them being activated. I have ordered twice each time for $500. The second time I received a e-mail stating that their was a delay in my order and that the new estimated time for my shipment was 2-3 weeks. I debated just cancelling it as I am on a tight schedule to get my cruise paid off. I sent an e-mail and out of the blue I received my shipping confirmation. Both times it has taken about a week to get the cards.

That really stinks!
If Target's system is showing they are activated is there a way they can send you that confirmation and then you contact Disney directly using the number on the back of the gift card?

OP, I used GC's to pay for my trip, purchased half of them from Target online and never had an issue. Some shipments came within days, others within a week.

Thanks! The timeline was what I was curious about. Hopefully I will not have a problem with activation! Yuck!

Well, out of the 40+ Disney gift cards that I ordered from Target.com, 1 of them says it has not been activated. So, it does happen.:furious:
After reading all the problems the previous poster had dealing with Target, I will have to think long & hard before I order anymore online from Target.

nalajms said:
I got scared after reading this. I never even thought about this!

I just checked $800 worth of cards purchased at various times between 8/22 and the most recent was 9/6. I checked all the balances using https://www.disneygiftcard.com/manage/ and they all say $50.

Is that accurate? I assumed if the card was not activated, it would tell me so!

Edited: All of these were purchased from Target online using a mix of Target GC and my Red Card.
You are correct. The website will specifically tell you if a card has not been activated.

To be fair, I've purchased gift cards for other places, from other places and had them not be activated, too (once at the grocery store, once at target). I think it's just something that happens sometimes. The stores have quickly made it right each time.

msmama said:
To be fair, I've purchased gift cards for other places, from other places and had them not be activated, too (once at the grocery store, once at target). I think it's just something that happens sometimes. The stores have quickly made it right each time.

The difference is..........these were bought online at Target.com, not at at physical store. I would still buy Disney gift cards in a Target store, but not from Target.com. They are absolutely no help when you are having a problem like this.

4luv2cdisney said:
Disney giftcards are showing "unavailable online" right now. Available only in stores.

Everyone should thank their lucky stars they aren't available online right now Believe me, they are doing us all a favor!

I am happy to update that the 3 remaining gift cards have been activated. Received cards on 08/30 and after much back and forth with Target.com, the vendor they use for the gift cards and Disney Gift Cards, they were activated on 09/19 without having to file a claim through the credit card company. I will stick to buying gift cards at the store only. Good luck SuzieQ. If you would like to private message me, I can give you info on the number I called and the people I spoke with to get this resolved. One of the problems was that after checking the balance so many times to see if they were activated, the gift card will be locked and has to be unlocked by Disney Gift Cards. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter