Tasting on Embarkation day too much?

darnheather

DIS Veteran
I've been struggling to get any tastings at all but did manage to snag a champagne tasting at 2pm on embarkation day. It's a 2 week cruise so why they need to schedule anything on embarkation is beyond me but anyway. I'm worried though that I will be overwhelmed and not enjoy it. On my first cruise I felt really rushed because I went to a meet and great with our cruise group at 2pm, but then I also didn't know the layout of the ship, the schedule of events (drill, sail away,etc).

Thoughts from those who've done a tasting on embarkation day greatly appreciated!

I haven't done a tasting on embarkation day but I will say the champagne tasting is my favorite so I would do it. Since this isn't your first cruise you shouldn't feel rushed especially if you are in one of the earlier boarding groups.

I haven't done a tasting on embarkation day but I will say the champagne tasting is my favorite so I would do it. Since this isn't your first cruise you shouldn't feel rushed especially if you are in one of the earlier boarding groups.

Thank you. I haven't ever done a tasting and was so looking forward to them on this cruise only to be crushed by DCL's changes in policies for groups. Slowly I've been able to get a few via DCL directly and one (hopefully still waiting on DCL's final answer) with our group.

I'm sure they'll have plenty of other chances throughout the trip to do one if you aren't sold on doing it on embarkation day. They do have sign ups on baord, no matter what the online portal says. Look at it this way, you get to spend time in a quiet area away from the chaotic nature of people running around exploring the ship if you do the tasting. Personally, the 1st day tastings aren't for me. I like to get in my room and unpack all my stuff (which should be open at 130) and make other adjustments as necessary. Like making sure my dining is ok, group meets, visiting the spa area.

I'm sure they'll have plenty of other chances throughout the trip to do one if you aren't sold on doing it on embarkation day. They do have sign ups on baord, no matter what the online portal says. Look at it this way, you get to spend time in a quiet area away from the chaotic nature of people running around exploring the ship if you do the tasting. Personally, the 1st day tastings aren't for me. I like to get in my room and unpack all my stuff (which should be open at 130) and make other adjustments as necessary. Like making sure my dining is ok, group meets, visiting the spa area.

Well maybe my kids could unpack for a change.

I was so hoping to do this, but again, it is at 2pm on embarkation day, and I am on DCL transportation from WDW, so I am not signing up for it because there is no guarantee I will be there on time.

And yes, that is my option for getting there. I am solo and so not drive, so renting a car is out and the cost of a private service is ridiculous for one. And I refuse to do the fake flight info to take an hour to get to MCO in time to hopefully be on the first bus and hopefully get an early group because that is stupid IMHO. I do plan to mention in my follow-up glows and grows email that I do not think it is fair to offer a tasting on embarkation day until everyone has a chance to get there - especially when some who might not be there in time are spending money at Disney beforehand. :(

(I would just book it and chance it, but I do not feel like losing the money if I don’t get there and I don’t feel like spending vacation time arguing at Guest Services that it was their system that got me there too late.)

We did it and loved it so much. It felt like getting the cruise started early. It was full.

Ditto here. And exactly the same feelings. Gets you in the mood quickly, you get to celebrate with champagne being on cruise before it sails. Its awesome.

Also, to the OP, what others have said: go to guest services as soon as you embark. They will have open spots for tastings, I can almost guarantee.
When we sailed in Dec, all the tastings were "sold out" online, and when we went to GS, they had spots on all of them.
I guess they keep some spots for on-board bookings?

Ditto here. And exactly the same feelings. Gets you in the mood quickly, you get to celebrate with champagne being on cruise before it sails. Its awesome.

Also, to the OP, what others have said: go to guest services as soon as you embark. They will have open spots for tastings, I can almost guarantee.
When we sailed in Dec, all the tastings were "sold out" online, and when we went to GS, they had spots on all of them.
I guess they keep some spots for on-board bookings?
They def. do keep some spots for on-board. I would also just keep checking online as well. One thing to note, not sure if it is mentioned above but there is not secure child programming in the kids club before muster drill. We did the Champagne tasting on our last cruise and loved it but decided not to do it on our upcoming one because of the timing on embarkation day.

I was so hoping to do this, but again, it is at 2pm on embarkation day, and I am on DCL transportation from WDW, so I am not signing up for it because there is no guarantee I will be there on time.

And yes, that is my option for getting there. I am solo and so not drive, so renting a car is out and the cost of a private service is ridiculous for one. And I refuse to do the fake flight info to take an hour to get to MCO in time to hopefully be on the first bus and hopefully get an early group because that is stupid IMHO. I do plan to mention in my follow-up glows and grows email that I do not think it is fair to offer a tasting on embarkation day until everyone has a chance to get there - especially when some who might not be there in time are spending money at Disney beforehand. :(

(I would just book it and chance it, but I do not feel like losing the money if I don’t get there and I don’t feel like spending vacation time arguing at Guest Services that it was their system that got me there too late.)
I hope another opportunity arises for you to enjoy the tasting.

They def. do keep some spots for on-board. I would also just keep checking online as well. One thing to note, not sure if it is mentioned above but there is not secure child programming in the kids club before muster drill. We did the Champagne tasting on our last cruise and loved it but decided not to do it on our upcoming one because of the timing on embarkation day.

Thankfully my kids are going to be 13 and 17 so secure child programming isn't required. They really can go to the room and begin to unpack before going to check out their clubs.

I hope another opportunity arises for you to enjoy the tasting.

Yes for all of those who have been having the same problem as I have been I hope DCL works these things out. They have to realize that cutting private tastings means they really need to up the DCL sponsored ones!

That is a valid point for those with children, and I will bring that up in my email as well.

Perfect. then I would do it and have them unpack. :)
I'll take this one step further.

I'd say you have a DUTY as a parent of teenagers to do this tasting and give your kids the opportunity to learn to unpack for themselves! Go. Drink Champagne. Talk to grownups. And know, all the time, you are doing this to help them become better people. That by intentionally staying out of the room, you are giving them a chance to step up and take responsibility. And if they don't do a good job the first time, you might just have to sign up for another tasting until they get it right!

Seriously, have fun. Sounds like it will be great. And definitely you'll be able to sign up for other tastings on board. They have the signup sheet available all week.

We did the champagne tasting on debarkation day and enjoyed it very much. It's nice because while it's chaos all over the ship, it's nice and calm and peaceful at the tasting :) Our perspective as two adults and left the kids at home.

Studio D will have sign ups for tastings on embarkation day. I think they open at 12:30, but check your navigator. They do the tasting sign ups at the bar. There should be some slots that hare held back from online sign ups. Believe me, there are a lot of tasting options available on a 2 week cruise.

Champagne tasting is one of the good ones (well they are all good). With one cruise under your belt, you're a PRO.
We actually do a private champagne tasting on the veranda each cruise when the ship pushes away and the music is blaring above us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter