Tauck Bridges?

awatt

<font color=CC66CC>My pontoon boat is like a float
Has anyone done one of these? I am wondering how it compares to ABD.

We had a lady on our Southwest Splendors trip that had done the comparable itinerary with Tauck. Disney is modeled on Tauck Bridges, the family division of Tauck. She said both were wonderful experiences. The differences she quoted were:
Tauck Bridges uses 1 guide, ABD uses 2.

Tauck Bridges changes hotels almost every night. Only once in the whole 8 days do they stay in one hotel for 2 nights. This would drive me crazy with kids--constantly packing and unpacking. Plus, I felt like we really saw every place--Sedona, Grand Canyon, and Moab--not just ran in and out.

Tauck Bridges does only 1 day/night at the Grand Canyon. They also do Lake Powell, Bryce and Zion before ending up in Vegas. Moab was one of my favorite parts of ABD trip. Would not have traded it for anything!

Tips to EVERYTHING, including your guide, are included with Tauck.
She also said that during on your own time, you are given vouchers for whatever you want to do on your own--horseback ride, eating at restaurants, etc. Once you pay your trip there are NO more costs. I paid an additional $2500 for extra excursions on my ABD(helicopter, horseback, ATV, hummer--now, do remember we are a family of 6)--and $500 in tips for the adventure guides.

Tauck has a wonderful reputation. You certainly will not go wrong with them. She had only glowing things to say. But having done ABD, I am very comfortable with them and will probably just stick with what is tried and true for our family.

I have had the opportunity to go on both Tauck Bridges and ABD and you will have a great experience on both. As stated by Jen, the differences are the all-inclusive of the tour price for Tauck Bridges and the 2 Guides for ABD. I went to the Canyons with Tauck Bridges and Costa Rica with ABD

On the Tauck Bridges website it does state the gratuities to the guides are included, but no where does it state vouchers are given for the meals on your own or for any activities that you want to do in your free time. In fact, it states which meals specifically are included each day. I find it hard to believe they pay for all your meals and activities that you do on your own, and don't state that on their website, as that would change any cost comparison that you would do with other tours.

I certainly have no personal experience with Tauck, but many of us quizzed Amy(the lady who had done both) extensively. One member of our tour group was a travel agent, and she was very interested in Amy's insights. Amy was shocked that ABD was not giving vouchers for meals and horseback riding, etc. According to her, Tauck gives you on your own time but makes it a point to tell you that there will never be any hidden costs and that on your own time is time and meals away from the group, but the cost is covered with vouchers. Amy had been on both Tauck and Tauck Bridges tours, including their version of Southwest Splendors, Quest for the West, and Spirit of America. This was her first ABD, and while she enjoyed it she was disappointed that the "on your owns" were not covered financially. Since she has "been there and done that" I can only believe her! I must say again, that if you check out Tauck Bridges tours, they sure do move you around almost every night. I would find that tiresome. I'd rather pay for my extras and be more relaxed!

This had me so curious, I had to call Tauck and see if they would cover meals and activities on your own in their Italy trip with vouchers. The agent said they only cover meals and activites listed on the itinerary and you would be responsible for the meals and activities you do on your own. Maybe it is only for certain Tauck Bridges trips, or maybe they would give you a voucher if you are not eating with the planned group meal that night, but she made it clear that meals and activities on your own were on your own expense. It could be that they changed this policy after the woman relayed it also. Anyway, it makes me feel better because if everything was covered with Tauck, I would have booked with them.

I have had the opportunity to go on both Tauck Bridges and ABD and you will have a great experience on both. As stated by Jen, the differences are the all-inclusive of the tour price for Tauck Bridges and the 2 Guides for ABD. I went to the Canyons with Tauck Bridges and Costa Rica with ABD

One thing I really liked about ABD is the way they make you feel special- the little extras they plan- and also as if they've tried in advance to anticipate your comfort/needs. And the guides are so warm and gracious.

I realize Tauck doesn't give pins nightly or other Disney-fied things, , but did you feel the trip on Tauck was "special", "magical" or "trip of a lifetime" ? Was the level of service comparable? I actually like one of the Tauck itineraries better, but am wondering if I will hav ethat same special feeling on the trip that I splurged and they even exceeded my expectations with their service.

I read a trip report that someone posted about a Tauck Bridges tour, and the one thing I really noticed was she totally did not talk about the other people on the tour. Now that may just be her personality, but every ABD trip report I've read, people talk about the camaraderie amongst the people on the tour, and how the Guides tried to make them feel almost like one big family (that was certainly my experience). I just didn't get a sense that Tauck does that. And that, to me, was one of the great things about ABD.

I also would not care for moving around as much as Tauck seems to...

Plus, and I've looked, and I've not seen anything on their website about limiting the size of the tour like ABD does (no more than 40 people). That would make a HUGE difference, especially with only one guide.

Sayhello

I have never taken a Tauck Bridges tour but I have booked using ciaobambino.com If you have a large family traveling to Italy or France then can arrange a Villa in Tuscany or South France. They will also book all your tours and transportation. Of course not for a small family looking for camaraderie of others but if you have a large family they found us a beautiful villa in Tuscany for less the 5k/ That included meal preparation cleaning of villa everyday. I love ABD used them for Costa Rica and SWS but was impressed with Cia bamambio when traveling to Europe.

I read a trip report that someone posted about a Tauck Bridges tour, and the one thing I really noticed was she totally did not talk about the other people on the tour. Now that may just be her personality, but every ABD trip report I've read, people talk about the camaraderie amongst the people on the tour, and how the Guides tried to make them feel almost like one big family (that was certainly my experience). I just didn't get a sense that Tauck does that. And that, to me, was one of the great things about ABD.

I also would not care for moving around as much as Tauck seems to...

Plus, and I've looked, and I've not seen anything on their website about limiting the size of the tour like ABD does (no more than 40 people). That would make a HUGE difference, especially with only one guide.
Sayhello

Tauck does limit the amount of people per tour. Here is a quote from their website.

What is the average group size of a Tauck journey?The average group size of a Tauck journey varies depending on the trip that is selected. Most of our land and rail journeys average 35 to 44 guests. Some of Tauck’s cruise programs will average larger group sizes based on the capacity of a ship. While the group size can be larger for such cruise programs, the land touring and shore excursions are orchestrated in smaller group sizes.

Also, someone mentioned that the tour director gratuity was included with a Tauck tour. Below I have posted another quote from Tauck's website which states that tour director gatuities are not included on most tours. I just wanted to pass this information along. I have personally never done a Tauck tour but was seriously considering it when ABD came along. Since I am a big Disney fan I opted to go with ABD instead. I did the Southwest Spendours tour and have never regretted it. I am not trying to discourage anyone from taking a Tauck Bridges tour but I am confident that families with children (as well as couples, seniors, and solo travelers) just can't go wrong with an ABD tour.

Here is the quote from Tauck

Are gratuities included?
The customary gratuity to the Tauck Director and Driver is not included on most Tauck World Discovery tours. Such gratuities should be extended on a voluntary, individual basis and not done as a group. As an exception, there are some Tauck journeys in which the Tauck Director gratuity is included and/or a Driver gratuity will not be applicable. Information about Tauck Director and Driver gratuities specific to a destination is included within final tour documentation sent after a reservation has been paid in full.

All appropriate gratuities for luggage handling, bellman, doorman, dining room servers, housekeepers, local city guides, ship and train crew are included in the price of a Tauck journey.

Also, someone mentioned that the tour director gratuity was included with a Tauck tour. Below I have posted another quote from Tauck's website which states that tour director gatuities are not included on most tours. I just wanted to pass this information along. I have personally never done a Tauck tour but was seriously considering it when ABD came along. Since I am a big Disney fan I opted to go with ABD instead. I did the Southwest Spendours tour and have never regretted it. I am not trying to discourage anyone from taking a Tauck Bridges tour but I am confident that families with children (as well as couples, seniors, and solo travelers) just can't go wrong with an ABD tour.

Here is the quote from Tauck

Are gratuities included?
The customary gratuity to the Tauck Director and Driver is not included on most Tauck World Discovery tours. Such gratuities should be extended on a voluntary, individual basis and not done as a group. As an exception, there are some Tauck journeys in which the Tauck Director gratuity is included and/or a Driver gratuity will not be applicable. Information about Tauck Director and Driver gratuities specific to a destination is included within final tour documentation sent after a reservation has been paid in full.

All appropriate gratuities for luggage handling, bellman, doorman, dining room servers, housekeepers, local city guides, ship and train crew are included in the price of a Tauck journey.

Perhaps the above is rearding the World Discovery tours.

From theTauck Bridges website it seems gratuities are included, but not all meals:

"Kid-priced for priceless memories. When it comes to family value, Tauck Bridges is at the head of the class. We include virtually everything your family needs for non-stop family fun, including all accommodations, sightseeing, activities, admission fees, most meals, priceless services of our experienced Tauck Directors and all gratuities – plus lots of other great surprises that make every moment of your vacation extra-special! In fact, we do it all for up to 40% less than the cost of doing the same itinerary on your own! "

But I'm more interested in how the overall experience compares to ABD, the intangibles that exceed your expectations and that you could not experience if you toured on your own.

Tauck does limit the amount of people per tour. Here is a quote from their website.

What is the average group size of a Tauck journey?The average group size of a Tauck journey varies depending on the trip that is selected. Most of our land and rail journeys average 35 to 44 guests. Some of Tauck’s cruise programs will average larger group sizes based on the capacity of a ship. While the group size can be larger for such cruise programs, the land touring and shore excursions are orchestrated in smaller group sizes.
Thanks, I looked all over the site, and couldn't find that. However, notice they say: Most of our land and rail journeys average 35 to 44 guests. ABD specifically says "The maximum group size is 40 people". "average 35 to 44" could also mean a particular trip could have 60 people, and another could have 20. The average for that is 40 people. There is no actual stated limit.

That would concern me. I'd certainly need to clarify that with Tauck before I'd sign up for a tour.

Sayhello

Wow I didn't realize Tauck Bridges had its own website. The Tauck World Discovery website lists all the Tauck Bridges Tours along with everything else. I think that it is helpful to have the gratuities included. Something less to worry about.

When I was researching Tauck to take one of their tours, I combed through the sight extensively. I do remember that there was one tour I was looking at (Australia and New Zealand) that said it was possible that it would have more than the standard amount of people. It said that if that happened that tour would be provided with a second tour director. I looked on Taucks website and apparently this is still the case for this tour. Here is the quote from the need to know section of this tour discription.

Tauck Director – Grand Australia & New Zealand is conducted by a Tauck Director who remains with the group throughout the tour. Your Tauck Director is a professional, fully-trained employee of Tauck World Discovery. Due to the popularity of this journey, the group size may include as many as 80 guests. Each group departure of this size will be accompanied by two Tauck Directors.

I did look through some of the other tours, and none of the others I looked at said anything about possibly having a larger group.

I completely agree though. I would want to clarify with Tauck about the size of the tour groups before booking with them. Having the smaller group makes things feel more personal. One of the ABD guides on my Southwest Splendours tour (Chris) said that he had previously worked for other tour companies. He said that some companies would fill tours with 56 people (every seat on the motorcoach would be full) and have just one tour guide. He said it was very difficult to get to know everyone and to provide personal service.

A lot of people on these boards mention possibly taking different tour companies. And I think every person needs to do what they think is best for their family. But I hope everyone really does their research. Yes some companies have much lower prices for similer tours. (say Italy for $1800 vs $3100) Make sure you know what is included in the price of that tour. When I was doing my research to take a guided tour (before ABD came to be) some of the companies I looked at that were less expensive included hotels, a motorcoach and tour director, and maybe a welcome meal and possibly a couple of breakfasts. Having to pay for almost all of your meals out of pocket can really add up. Especially in a European country or th UK. Having to pay out of pocket to take an excursion like white water rafting in Utah can easily cost $400 for a family of four. Adventures by Disney includes pretty much everything except the 2 ABD guide gratuities and a couple of meals. Heck they even include plenty of water and snacks on the motorcoach.

In regards to tipping it is included on all the Bridges trips. It may not be for the adult only trips (i have only done Bridges). I still have there last brochure so i went back to double check.

I apologize if I confused people in terms of all inclusive i meant that there was no additional charges to do activities on tour other than the meals that weren't included. Our group had 36 people in our trip to the Canyons which did have alot of one-nighters but we were covering Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon.

On our Bridges trip we didnt get pins like on ABD but they did have similar surprises on tour for us (i.e. surprise meal, etc) so I thought both made it special but in very different ways.

I really did enjoy the two guides on ABD and that was a difference between them and Tauck Bridges.

Who would I take again is a good question. We are looking into Italy right now and both have programs there so I will let everyone know. It is nice to have two quality options for the family.

I did forget to mention that amy was disappointed with ABD accommodations. (I was very satisfied.) She did say tauck and tauck bridges used only 5 star hotels. That seems to be the direction ABD is going with its launch of the signature trips. That, along with the all inclusive nature of the trips led me to believe she would go back to tauck bridges in the future.
My concern with bridges is the makeup of the group. It is marketed as family travel, and there are lots of kids. Amy is a grandmother and was taking her grandkids on those trips. When you go on the message boards on the tauck bridges site( and it is a different site than tauck) it is predominantly grandparents posting that they are taking their grandkids. For those of you who have gone on bridges, did you find a lot of parents & kids on your trips or mostly grandparents?

Hi. We just did a Tauck Bridges tour this summer-- Cowboy Country. We loved it. We have three kids -- the trip was about 1/2 grandparents and 1/2 parents in terms of the adults. This is an active trip -- and so most (really all) of the grandparents were active and fit.

I believe that Tauck (for nearly the same itinerary) Tauck was a better value, a longer trip with more sights and less $. You do move around a bit -- for us this wasn't an issue as we were thrilled to take in all the sights.

When I was booking the trip and called Tauck, the agent told me that the date I had picked had room BUT a family group of 20+ was traveling on that tour and she wouldn't recommend it. She was very honest and steered me to a date where she felt the mix of people would be better.

Tipping is included on the Bridges tours, but where meals are not included (there are no vouchers). However, in many locations we had more than one choice for a meals when they were included. We were rarely on our own for activities as they were built into the day.

We spent very little outside of the few meals that weren't included.

Tauck is considered to be one of the best in the business and fairly high end. My in laws are in Europe right now with them. We would go again in a heartbeat.

In looking at the Tauck website, I see that children 8 and over are welcome on their regular tours. Does anyone know if there are many under 18's on these tours?

TIA

Tauck Tours are one of the best.

I'm looking into going with them to Ireland. I'll compare the ABD and Tauck very closely before deciding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter